PDA

View Full Version : Things I dislike in TGW mod for SH3

EFileTahi-A
07-06-2006, 02:40 AM
I've just played it once and honestly I didn't gave me that enthusiasm to play it again because some of the graphics "improvements" are actually "disimprovements".

I didn't play that much so my list is short:

1 - The surface water is too dark!
The water should contain and reflect the same bright colors of the sky. The way it is seems so artificial, like it is reflecting something else then the sky, the original version is much better.

2 - Underwater view is way too dark too!
I see too little when using underwater camera, even at 1:00 pm with clear sky. It looks like its night time when I go underwater with the camera...

3 - The cameras seem to dark our view way too much when you lower it and point them to the sea or sub..

4 - The subs textures "sound" a bit artificial but I can live with this. The previous points are the ones I trully dislike...

Does anyone have the same feelings with TGW mod?

EFileTahi-A
07-06-2006, 02:40 AM
I've just played it once and honestly I didn't gave me that enthusiasm to play it again because some of the graphics "improvements" are actually "disimprovements".

I didn't play that much so my list is short:

1 - The surface water is too dark!
The water should contain and reflect the same bright colors of the sky. The way it is seems so artificial, like it is reflecting something else then the sky, the original version is much better.

2 - Underwater view is way too dark too!
I see too little when using underwater camera, even at 1:00 pm with clear sky. It looks like its night time when I go underwater with the camera...

3 - The cameras seem to dark our view way too much when you lower it and point them to the sea or sub..

4 - The subs textures "sound" a bit artificial but I can live with this. The previous points are the ones I trully dislike...

Does anyone have the same feelings with TGW mod?

Dragos_Mateescu
07-13-2006, 02:56 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gifI agree with you at every point you mentioned above. If the water transparency and subs textures would be the same as in the stock game this mod would be great.

Bewolf
07-13-2006, 03:16 AM
Also agreed to the water. Looks odd for sure. I think the visibility, but mainly the color was overdone a bit in the sake of realism.

Nothing against the new Boat textures though, I really like them. Granted, they could be a bit more weathered, though.

EFileTahi-A
07-13-2006, 09:56 AM
Ahhh... for a moments I thought I was alone here. I'm glad to know that are more persons having similar feelings about TGW mod.

Dragos_Mateescu, I agree with you 100%!

Bubblehead1948
07-13-2006, 10:44 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif You are in good company. I continue to experiment with GW however; The overall concept with regard to world, ports, and behavior is obviously very good, but as has been pointed out, I too wish they had not tinkered quite so much with the graphics.
The scenery and buildings and shoreline is quite good, although my framerates went down slightly. My most negetive reaction was with regard to sound, exterior textures, and camera angle.

Let me be specific:

The camera angle in the conning area is uncomfortable. Often one seems to find oneself behind the watch officers head blocking critical view. When looking through binocculars, one can occasionally find oneself actually inside his head staring out through teeth. (whew)

My current boat, a type IXB is so pristine looking on deck, that one swears it has been readied for an Admirals inspection. I really preferred the rusty looking deck grates as opposed to the wood planks. I know US boats used wood plank decking extensively, but I'm not sure about the U-Boats in that regard, In any case, it looks too clean. Some folks feel ok with that though. The odd camera angle on the conning tower reveals an annoying but not critical flaw in the 3d overlay in the periscope.

One thing more than anything else I am fussy about is sound rendering. Over the last two years I have put together a composite from everyones contributions that I find rather satisfying. While most of GW sound is at least
good, some of it is a step back. The interior sound from machinery and motors is far too quiet in my opinion. So I doctored that up with my own. GW tube door sound is great, however.

My big dissappointment was the smoke of course, but that is easily fixed. The jury is still out on the ship textures; I rather like the ones included with SH commander, so I put those back in.

I corrected as many of these issues as I could by going back to previous graphic/sound models.

I still want to be cautious about my criticism because the overall scope of the work may be worth the time needed to customise it for our own individual tastes. I don't want the folks who created Gw to feel I'm ripping them. This should be, and is, regarded as a valuble piece of work. Perhaps an important benchmark. I just wish they hadn't got quite so creative with the boat exteriors. The interior of the boats, particularly the guages are excellent.

The important thing now is to discover how this thing behaves as one progresses though a campaign.
realistic behavior here can make up for annoyances elsewhere.

And remember; its a contribution of hard work.

AznKamiKazeKid
07-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Is there any way to create a new mod but get rid of the points you made above, so we will have all the goodies but have stock water and such?

Realjambo
07-13-2006, 03:37 PM
@Bubblehead - I'd just like to praise you on your very well written post. It just stands out for some reason, is well constructed and well put across. Are you a Teacher by chance? I'm not being sarcastic BTW.

Personally, I was soo excited to download GW, but, even with a handbuilt PC which runs Far Cry and HL2 et al perfectly, in GW the Periscope and free view views the FPS crash to the floor so sadly, without a remedy, I hate to say I had to uninstall it. Gutted? Oh yes. GW is the sum total of an unknown amount of unpaid hours and hard work, and despite my own experience, it shines.

doug.d
07-13-2006, 04:25 PM
I only loaded up GW into a 2nd install of SH3 (in case I want my stock game back in a hurry http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif), last night and I'm fresh into my 1st GW patrol. I still have a lot to explore but I found the graphics quite pretty, great dials and stuff.

A few things I'm not that enthusiastic about at this early stage are more gameplay related e.g. time acceleration is constantly interupted....

It takes ages to clear my home port with all the traffic and flypasts and when I finally get into open water, I'm constantly jerked out of warp by a plethora of 'new messages received', cute but mostly nothing I needed to hear about.

Something else I didn't like is the empty ocean. I sailed from Wilhelmshaven all the way to my patrol grid west of Loch Ewe with only 1 contact, which I failed to intercept in a storm. I finally intercepted and sunk a tramp steamer, 1 measly little boat for almost 3 hours of play! On top of that, it took almost 15 minutes to sink. Realistic sinking is fine but life's too short for this.

Early days yet, maybe I'll feel better when I meet one of Mr and Mrs Bunkerratt's convoys full of capital ships. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

hueywolf123
07-13-2006, 06:36 PM
Thanks to RJ, I have tgw, I love it. Tonnes better than the stock version SHIII.Tey, there are a few little bugs but I think I've nailed what caused them It was my fault entirely for not reading the read-me correctly.
My water is not too dark and I'm using commander 2.5 with it, so I'm adjusting the density through that

Bubblehead1948
07-13-2006, 11:51 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif@Bubblehead - I'd just like to praise you on your very well written post. It just stands out for some reason, is well constructed and well put across. Are you a Teacher by chance? I'm not being sarcastic BTW.

No, not a teacher, but thanks for the compliment. I did pretty well in English comp in college if thats any explaination.

EFileTahi-A
07-14-2006, 02:37 AM
Well, if I wasn't that addicted to EVE-Online and too busy with some project of mine, I would improve SH3's graphics for sure...

Bubblehead1948
07-15-2006, 09:47 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif After a good deal of screwing around, I got the graphics and sound the way I like things. I got a new catylist driver and tweaked some settings and now the frame rates are quite good again. I may like this mod yet. I just got my arse toasted off Freetown.

bunkerratt
07-15-2006, 10:25 PM
bubblehead..?...do you use the atitool?..what model of vidcard are you running?.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Bubblehead1948
07-15-2006, 11:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">bubblehead..?...do you use the atitool?..what model of vidcard are you running?.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
-------------------------------------------------- http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif Yeah; ATI tray tools. I don't overclock, but there's enough options in there to make most cards optimal. I'm using an ATI X800 256. 12 pipelines. AGP. A little dated, but it
does a good job.