PDA

View Full Version : Got my LCD samsung 226BW yesterday

PapaG39
07-31-2007, 07:55 PM
Came home happy from Best buy with my made in Mexico samsung 226BW yesterday morning. I then spent a whole day of frustration trying to get it adjusted for il2...about 7pm I took that one back & got another which works better, but I still am frought with frustration.
I have spent 3-4 hours with samsung 2-3 tier tech guys who told me everything from: "you need to reinstall xp home" to "your X1900XT card is bad & needs to be replaced.

The card is fine and XP home is working fine also...

am very disappointed with this monitor. The colors are all washed out & I run into the same problem with extremely white clouds & washed out horizon along with pure black water.

I can't see aircraft aainst the ground any better then I could with my old viewsonic.

Samsung tech seem willing to talk, but not to really solve the problem with any color adjustment advice...he*l, maybe they don't know either...lol

I'm going to give it a few more days & then take it back & keep my old crt...at least it's paid for...

PapaG39
07-31-2007, 07:55 PM
Came home happy from Best buy with my made in Mexico samsung 226BW yesterday morning. I then spent a whole day of frustration trying to get it adjusted for il2...about 7pm I took that one back & got another which works better, but I still am frought with frustration.
I have spent 3-4 hours with samsung 2-3 tier tech guys who told me everything from: "you need to reinstall xp home" to "your X1900XT card is bad & needs to be replaced.

The card is fine and XP home is working fine also...

am very disappointed with this monitor. The colors are all washed out & I run into the same problem with extremely white clouds & washed out horizon along with pure black water.

I can't see aircraft aainst the ground any better then I could with my old viewsonic.

Samsung tech seem willing to talk, but not to really solve the problem with any color adjustment advice...he*l, maybe they don't know either...lol

I'm going to give it a few more days & then take it back & keep my old crt...at least it's paid for...

Targ
07-31-2007, 08:12 PM
If they have a Samsung 204B get that one as it has garnered many good reviews as a very good monitor with great color.

ForkTailedDevil
07-31-2007, 10:21 PM
I have a 206BW and I love it display is gorgeous. Sorry to here you having problems.

PapaG39
07-31-2007, 11:53 PM
Well, right out of the box on both of the one I have tried the colors were all washed out and so bright that it hurt my eyes to look at it.

I have it adjusted fairly well now, but it still is not sharp. I had hoped that I would be able to see other aircraft better with a clear crisp pitcher, but it is still dull. I can't get the greens to be green. they are still just a dull green with no life to it...

The size (22inch) is very nice though...
There are two color tools with the software, but the tech guys said they were for graphics (not games) adjustments.. don't know just why it wouldn't help the games though.
I'm going to try I see what it does before I take it back.

foxfire1941
08-01-2007, 07:49 AM
It sounds to me like the contrast is way off normal. See if you can turn down the brightness or adjust the contrast.

It should look very sharp in it's native resolution, so make sure you're set to that.

My LCD monitor looks great in it's native resoluiton 1600x1200, and anything less than that it looks blurry.

Make sure you are running the game in OpenGL.

Chris0382
08-01-2007, 09:38 AM
are you running it at native resolution: 1680 x 1050 I think.

Anything other will look bad. Need good Video card also

Have you adjusted the color saturation in the drivers?

PapaG39
08-01-2007, 11:29 AM
running in 1680 x 1050.
X1900XT using the dvi cable hookup.
contrast is 85 & brightness is 40.
Of course I have tried the full spectrum on both & this is the best I can get.
It is just a washed out bland colors...
I can go to www.croc.com (http://www.croc.com) & look at a beautiful color array of croc shoes, & they are very bright, vivid colors...but il2 is just washed out.

PapaG39
08-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Opps, that's www.crocs.com (http://www.crocs.com)

Hoenire
08-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Hmm I've got a 226BW and it is awesome. You may need to use the graphics card monitor optimiser to get the correct shades etc - I used the one that comes with the Nvidia drivers.

You should also check your conf.ini file to make sure the correct resolution is used in game:

[window]
width=1680
height=1050
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0
Use3Renders=0

sakai2005
08-01-2007, 06:37 PM
just got a 22" wide MAG innovision 2ms from bestbuy works great

Sun_Ra
08-01-2007, 08:02 PM
I got my Samsung 226BW three days ago. The installation disc out of the box was warped and wouldn't run so I tried to locate the drivers and calibration/setup utilites from their web site but had trouble getting them to work properly or I had the wrong ones. Next day went back to Circus City to ask for another disc, they made me return the monitor and exchange for a new monitor just to get a good installation disc.
The second package had a good disc and the install went well. Be sure to run the Magic Tune Utility and Natural Color utilies. Play around w/ them until you find what looks good for your room light conditions. For the game, I went into CCC and adjusted the brightness (down) to -23 and gamma (down) to 0.90 in the Full Screen 3D window under color. You won't regret it, thing of beauty.

PapaG39
08-03-2007, 01:36 AM
hey Sun_Ra
I now have my gamma @ 50
brightness @ +15
Contrast @ 190 & it is allmost good in il2.
silent Hunter 3 is very good at those settings.
I haven't tried either magic Tune or The other software on the dist because the tech guy said they were not for games & to use my ati color adjustment only...I'm starting to think "I should have gotten a Nvida card" lol
does that magic tune utility seem to work well for il2?

Wurkeri
08-03-2007, 02:51 AM
There is several versions of the 226BW around and some of them tend to need more adjusting than others. See the links below:

http://www.monitorsrc.com/22/samsung-226bw-review/

BTW I've been quite happy with the lower specs 225BW.

Sun_Ra
08-03-2007, 06:41 AM
PapaG39, I beleive your tech guy was right to a point. I do think that 3D games should be adjusted in the CCC software under Color Adjustment section then use the drop down tab for Full Screen 3D (not Desktop tab) . That should make a difference to tone down the brightness and washed out colors of the default CCC 3D game settings. I've been fooling around with those settings and now am at gamma =85 and brightness = -28. May go lower. One interesting glitch I noticed was from time to time as the game loads I can see it initially loads at default (bright)settings then after a pause or two refreshes back to the correct darker settings usually after the mouse locks in positions. I may have some software conflict related to the game loading, it often appears when I need to Ctrl+Esc back to desktop to get the mouse working again. But that's not your problem.

I don't agree with the tech guy that the Magic Bright and Natural Color software isn't neded for correct display adjustment. Load those little utilities and play around with them to calibrate the picture and save a profile. Might as well get the image as good as possible for the times you aren't using the game and who knows it may have some subtle effects overall for game image, not really sure yet. I'm still playing around with them. Anyway, if you are looking a pictures or movies or just plan text might as well fine tune things, that's half the fun.

Sun_Ra
08-03-2007, 07:10 AM
One more question. Are you using the DVI digital connection? You should.