PDA

View Full Version : Maneuvering A/C on Carriers

No601_Zulu
10-28-2004, 02:40 AM
~S~

One thing I find very difficult with Carrier opps is manuvering aircraft around the deck after landing. This only applies I think in coops when you have the CV moving along a course. Obviously in reality I am trying turn turn the tail through the wind The only a/c I have managed to turn and park facing aft is the Corsair. Look at any photographs of CV opps and you will see a/c parked in all sorts of positions to maximise use of deck space.

Its great fun, and very realistic to get 6 of your squadron mates landing back on the carrier after a mission. Then have the first one down act as Deck Landing Officer.

Great that is until someone crashes into you and you lose your mission points http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-28-2004, 09:43 PM
Do you try to manouvre wings flat or folded?
With wings folded there is very little trouble moving around anywhere on the deck. Use throttle carefully though.

Steering is completely different with the wings folded.

DRB_Irish1
10-28-2004, 10:49 PM
Apply brakes then use full rudder and some throttle and you will turn on the spot.

Classicaero
10-29-2004, 01:46 AM
why not model in some ground crew erks that can maneuver the aircraft for us when its down, something like when your wings are folded, engine is at idle and the chocks are in, then groud crew should take over and move the aircraft for us.

IV_JG51_Razor
10-29-2004, 02:36 AM
In reality, during flight quarters aboard US Navy carriers, the planes that land are taxied forward of the barrier, and either struck below (via the forward elevator) if they are in need of maintanence, or parked forward and shut down for servicing. After flight quarters ceased, the deck was respotted (by hand, or tractor) for the next launch. Very rarely did an a/c ever taxi around on the deck under it's own power other than moving straight forward into the wind to where it was shut down.

Those pictures you've seen of carriers with planes parked in various positions (orientations) are the product of man handling them there, not of pilots taxiing them into those spots.

PF has done an excellent job of recreating a very realistic carrier environment IMHO. The best we can expect in flying with our squaddies, is to launch on a mission, and recover to spot ourselves up forward for a nice screen shot http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Once you're parked where you want to be, don't forget to put your chocks in so that you will be imune to your buddies' screw ups http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

No601_Zulu
10-29-2004, 06:00 AM
I Agree with you Razor
Deck Handling of A/C after landing in RL was done by Crew and Small Tractors. It would have been a very dangerous process if pilots taxied around the Flight Deck.

And Yes, the detail of all the in game Carrier's is fantastic, the modellers out there have done a great job. I haven't tried it with manned guns yet. My only other source for comparison is CFS2 (Don't Laugh)

So I'll just persevere till I get it right, as we all have to in the fantasctic series of IL-2 Sim's

For my pals in VF 98 SKULLS over the pond "It really is worth the wait"

tolwyn.com
10-29-2004, 10:55 AM
Don't forget to engage chocks. Then no other "landing" coop buddies will blow you up as collision modelling is turned off.

XyZspineZyX
10-29-2004, 08:51 PM
I can't turn my plane to taxi to a parking spot on the deck after a successful trap, either, when the carrier is moving.

Wings folded or down, I don't seem to be able to turn out of the wind.

On DF maps, with no wind on the deck, it is possible to do doughnuts.