PDA

View Full Version : A Question For All of You World War II Pilots

Odin_1964
04-08-2008, 07:34 PM
I'm sure you have probably flown every plane you can, but what is your preferred plane to fly & if at all possible, maybe you can tell me why as well?

Odin_1964
04-08-2008, 07:34 PM
I'm sure you have probably flown every plane you can, but what is your preferred plane to fly & if at all possible, maybe you can tell me why as well?

VW-IceFire
04-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Well I'm sure you'll find people like lots of different planes. We have near experts in all different types of planes and when it comes to you...well you'll just have to find the right one(s) that suit you're style.

For me...well my favourite is the Hawker Tempest. Its been my favourite for a very long time and once it became flyable I quickly started learning its tricks. I like its speed, its dive, its responsive controls, great forward visibility, and extremely heavy firepower. A great package for any fighter.

Odin_1964
04-08-2008, 08:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">For me...well my favourite is the Hawker Tempest. Its been my favourite for a very long time and once it became flyable I quickly started learning its tricks. I like its speed, its dive, its responsive controls, great forward visibility, and extremely heavy firepower. A great package for any fighter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm curious, why The Tempest over The Typhoon?

Of course, in my opinion, The Tempest pretty much was the little heard about variation of The Typhoon as was The B-26 Marauder to The B-25 Mitchell.

Odin_1964
04-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Below is One of My 7th Grade Doodles I did in History Class that I have kept all of these years.

I haven't seen a picture of him yet, but could that be Mr. Phobia about to jump out of that plane?
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e150/Odin1964/Doodle.jpg

VW-IceFire
04-08-2008, 10:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Odin_1964:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">For me...well my favourite is the Hawker Tempest. Its been my favourite for a very long time and once it became flyable I quickly started learning its tricks. I like its speed, its dive, its responsive controls, great forward visibility, and extremely heavy firepower. A great package for any fighter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm curious, why The Tempest over The Typhoon?

Of course, in my opinion, The Tempest pretty much was the little heard about variation of The Typhoon as was The B-26 Marauder to The B-25 Mitchell. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mmmm the Typhoon and Tempest have separate reputations. The Tempest was a premier frontline RAF fighter for nearly the last year of the war (being flown by several notable RAF aces) while the Typhoon was a failed interceptor project turned into the best tank buster on the western front. Plus the Tempest has slightly more graceful lines with the redesigned tail and wings although the Typhoon has a certain charm with its menacing 20mm cannons on display.

Odin_1964
04-08-2008, 11:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm curious, why The Tempest over The Typhoon?

Of course, in my opinion, The Tempest pretty much was the little heard about variation of The Typhoon as was The B-26 Marauder to The B-25 Mitchell. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Mmmm the Typhoon and Tempest have separate reputations. The Tempest was a premier frontline RAF fighter for nearly the last year of the war (being flown by several notable RAF aces) while the Typhoon was a failed interceptor project turned into the best tank buster on the western front. Plus the Tempest has slightly more graceful lines with the redesigned tail and wings although the Typhoon has a certain charm with its menacing 20mm cannons on display. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guess I need to go back and read some more on The Tempest.

Odin_1964
04-08-2008, 11:14 PM
"Reaching Newchurch airfield at 480 mph I held "RB" down to 20 ft from the runway and then pulled her up to a 60 ? climb holding it as the speed dropped slowly off and the altimeter needle spun round the dial as if it were mad. At 7000 ft the speed was dropping below 180 mph and I rolled the Tempest lazily inverted, then allowed the nose to drop until the horizon, at first above my head, disappeared below (or rather above) the now inverted nose, the fields and woods steadied into the centre of the windscreen and then whirled around as I put the stick hard over and rolled around the vertical dive. Steadying again I pulled out over the tree tops at 500 mph, throttled back and pulled hard over towards the airfield in an over-the-vertical climbing turn, lowering the wheels and flaps in a roll as the speed dropped. What a magnificent aeroplane! They could have all their Spitfires and Mustangs!"
("My part of the sky", Roland Beamont)

Fighterduck
04-09-2008, 02:10 AM
uhm...I think on the allied side i like the P-47:why?.Well its a beauty ^^ ok ok beside this its really a good plane. It takes some time to fly it correctly but when you know how to use it, the P-47 is really a dangerous ennemy for the ennemy. I like the firepower he got: 8 .50 machine guns are impressives and if you practice a little bit you will discover that .50 are deadly as the 20mm ones. Its fast, and i find it also a quite good climber: not the best out there but quite good. At high altitude, above 6000m is the king. Best plane out there ( for me ). Plus, if you like ground attack like me, well the P-47 can carry an impressive amount of loadouts!He can take more damages than others plane even if in the real life he could take more ^^ . So, not the easiest plane to fly, but when you know it, it will be one of the best out there.

I was really attracted also by the P-51: i've flown its over and over again...but...i just cant feel all the good things i heard about it from real pilots and in documentary i saw. It so a beauty, it must be one of best out there...but i just cant feel it.

WOLFMondo
04-09-2008, 02:50 AM
Theres too many to like. I think I can tell you what I don't like in fewer words than what I do like. I will always like the P47's, P38, Tempest, Corsair and especially the 190's however.

BWaltteri
04-09-2008, 05:18 AM
109F

DKoor
04-09-2008, 07:20 AM
I'm not ww2 pilot http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. But. I like.
Bf-109.
Good plane all around, and you have it available pretty much from the start 'till the bitter end.
Good turn ability, overall maneuverability, good firepower - easy to use IMO, at times excellent if not the best climb ability considering the opposition. On the other hand you have to deal with crappy landing gears, high speed control stiffness, lesser cockpit visibility.

I saw your conversation above guys, and the curiosity about Typhoon vs Tempest is that they almost have same number of confirmed air to air victories.

If you like to fly western front 1944-1945 in this game, Tempest may be your no.1 choice, while the same holds true for FW-190D if you fly for axis.

Bewolf
04-09-2008, 07:41 AM
I am a boom and zoomer by heart. So this requires plane that are fast and have good maneuerabilty at speed. Obvious choices thus are the Tempest, the Corsair, the FW 190A/D, The Mustang and Thunderbold. These are the planes I also like best in this regard, though the Mustang and the Thunderbold have a serious lack in punch, which make them second rate in my personal preferences.
But yeah, speed, acceleration, roll and elevator control with additional cannon bonus, these are the parts that make up my preferred planes.

The Lightning gets an honorary mention for pure looks.

stathem
04-09-2008, 07:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DKoor:
I saw your conversation above guys, and the curiosity about Typhoon vs Tempest is that they almost have same number of confirmed air to air victories.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That may be explained by the length of service; The Typhoon was doing it's stuff from 42-45, the Tempest only (ignoring the V-1s) from mid-late 44 - May 45

PapaLazarou.LoG
04-09-2008, 09:33 AM
109F4, it's a very balanced and agile plane, can keep up on speed and outclimb almost everything of it's era.
And as a pure dogfighter, it's a pleasure for stall fighting when we put brains aside. If you have good aim, it's firepower is more than enough to knock out fast other same era fighters.

crucislancer
04-09-2008, 10:02 AM
I go through phases where I'll fly a particular aircraft for a while then I'll try something else, or go back to something else.

Tempest, Corsair 1C or 1D, P-47D-27 or Late, Bf109F4 or G2, Fw190 A-8 or D-9, Spitfire Vb, VIII, or IX. These are all planes I enjoy flying. Lately I've been into RAF planes, particularly the Spitfire, though the Tempest is flown on occasion as well. Before that, I was flying 109s and 190s quite a bit.

I suggest finding a plane that suits your flying style, fly it until you understand it's quirks, then fly against it, like starting out on the Spitfire and then moving over to the 109. Very helpful to have both sides of the story.

DKoor
04-09-2008, 11:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crucislancer:
I go through phases where I'll fly a particular aircraft for a while then I'll try something else, or go back to something else.

I suggest finding a plane that suits your flying style, fly it until you understand it's quirks, then fly against it, like starting out on the Spitfire and then moving over to the 109. Very helpful to have both sides of the story. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>+1

TgD Thunderbolt56
04-09-2008, 11:47 AM
I fly everything in this sim...but the I-16 is a real sleeper. Decent loadout and armament (especially the type-24) and a great DF'er in early-war matchups. You have to use supercharger settings, mix controls, watch out for the gravity-fed carb, raise/lower gear manually and it has an open pit...what's not to like?

badatit
04-09-2008, 08:08 PM
P51D-20NA(period)

Phobia337
04-10-2008, 09:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Odin_1964:
Below is One of My 7th Grade Doodles I did in History Class that I have kept all of these years.

I haven't seen a picture of him yet, but could that be Mr. Phobia about to jump out of that plane?
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e150/Odin1964/Doodle.jpg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup thats me Odin http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

WTE_Pharoah
04-10-2008, 04:42 PM
1 used to have one fav plane to fly online - the Hawker Tempest. big, fast (esp in a dive), takes considerable damage and, best of all, 4 Hispano cannon (*voice of Homer* mmmmmm...cannon).

However, after playing alot on the Skies of Valour server, I've begun to be a HUGE fan of the P40 series, esp the P40M to the point where I would choose it above everything else esp playing on Russian maps. Good turn, dive, climb, easy to maneouver (spelling?) and 6 x .50 calibre does some damage.

So there...Tempest and P40.

ElAurens
04-10-2008, 04:57 PM
P40 E for me.

Jack of all trades, master of none. But I like it. Lots of guys online take it as an easy kill.

Heheheheh...

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

R_Target
04-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Bf109 back in IL2/FB days. F6F since PF, and sometimes P-39. Despite the sig, I've never been a big Mustang fan. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

David_Williams
04-10-2008, 06:49 PM
I was just about to ask if anyone favored The Bell P-39 Airacobra?

More importantly, has anyone attempted to fly an F-82 Twin Mustang?

Last thing, how do I go about adding a picture onto my signature?

ElAurens
04-10-2008, 08:11 PM
F-82?

Not in this sim.

You will have to wait for the Korean War Add On that will be released by RRG, sometime after Storm of War is released.

96th_Nightshifter
04-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Tempest or Spitfire (depending on my mood)

P38L for ground attack be sure.

BadA1m
04-10-2008, 09:16 PM
109F4 and later, A6M3 Zero, and the George, man I love the George (N1K2). But I fly nearly all of them at one time or annother. I think that's the best part.

And BTW Odin what the Hell does the B-26 have to do with the B-25? (sorry I had to ask)

WTE_Pharoah
04-10-2008, 09:23 PM
I've seen guys flying the P39 and do really well with it..its that massive cannon in the prop. I once saw a guy in a P39 blow the complete wing off a JU-88 with 3-4 cannon shells (I was landing and looked up at the 'vulcher'). Not bad. I don't think I've EVER flown a P39 either SP or MP.

David_Williams
04-10-2008, 10:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BadA1m:

And BTW Odin what the Hell does the B-26 have to do with the B-25? (sorry I had to ask) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Odin_1964 Here: (Man, I'll Be Glad if They Ever Get My Problem Fixed.)

I was just trying to say that The Tempest & The B-26 were comparable to The Typhoon & The B-25 in that The 2 Former Planes were heard of very little, where as the 2 Latter Planes were heard of all the time.

WeedEater9p
04-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Zero, hands down. You just need some good eyes and a good aim (very little cannon ammo http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif ). Though I've gotten a healthy respect for the P-40 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

Swivet
04-11-2008, 10:15 PM
F4U-1D...Even tho the P-51 is my squads plane. I personally think the guns are porked unlike the F4U, which is fast and got great guns and you can land on a carrier and it's multirole capabilities make it a preferred AC for me..As well as the P-40 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

luftluuver
04-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Guess I need to go back and read some more on The Tempest. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Read up on the Fw190A when you are at it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

mrwafro
04-12-2008, 02:41 AM
My personal favorites are the P-38 and the F4F- wildcats. The p-38 is sexy and a great plane if used properly, even against single engine fighters, and I love the wildcat because it has a great turning radius and roll rate, making it hard as hell to shoot down, it can absorb quite a bit of damage as well, I have a .trk of my wildcat absorbing something like 500 .30 rounds, and making it home with only elevator and rudder, with its wings looking like a collander.

Aaron_GT
04-12-2008, 03:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm curious, why The Tempest over The Typhoon? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My vote (in the game) would be the Tempest. If is a smooth flight, less twitchy then things such as the F4U or Fw 190, and packs a punch. And of course it is RAF, therefore better http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

There's no Typhoon in the game. The Typhoon suffered from dismal roll rate, so I wouldn't want to try it in the game online.

Aaron_GT
04-12-2008, 03:40 PM
WTE_Pharoh - the P40 series is pretty nice to fly too. Seems well coordinated, and a smoother flight than the Spitfire.

Frank_Oconnor
04-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Mmmm,

The Typhoon had real compressability problems in earlier versions and suffered big-time with maneuverability probs. The Tempest OTOH wasn't as maneuverable as the Spit, but had power to spare for boom and zoom, those 4 big cannons, and could carry an ordinance load that could shift some serious ground. I think of the Tempest as a souped up FW 190 (without the roll rate),

My favourite?

As an all rounder the 109 is hard to beat, as an interceptor and performance demon the Yak 3 is the bees knees (but it's a twitchy little bugger), and for ground pounding I like the Corsair. The PE3 is a nice dive bomber, but the Stuka (whilst delivering less ordinance) is more pinpoint.

Mustang - good all rounder (like the Me 109) but with range. Lacks serious hitting power against the big boys.

Most fun - the Zero. (now if only they could have sealed those tanks)

Regards,

Aaron_GT
04-13-2008, 06:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Tempest OTOH wasn't as maneuverable as the Spit, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A much better roll rate at speed, though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I think of the Tempest as a souped up FW 190 (without the roll rate), </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Tempest had a pretty good roll rate, though, on a par, on average, with the P51 (better at some speeds, lower at others). Short of that of the 190, though.

Jaws2002
04-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Most of my "flying career" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif was flying the FW-190. I still love it. But I also love to fly the bubble top jugs and one that when I grew up it was for me what the Spitfire was for the Brits: the IAR-80/81. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/inlove.gif

I fly it any time I find it in the server even if there's a 190A5/6 available. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

I got to master it and have screenshots to proove it:
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/&lt;FA&gt;Jaws/ar80_255.jpg