PDA

View Full Version : Is there an alternative to Stab or MAT Manager?

Luno13
10-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Hi guys. I figure this may well go into the community help forum, but I think more people will see it here.

As you know, the stock international version of Il-2 has no Hakaristi or Hakenkreuz. One can get around with Il-2 Stab, but then one has to load the program each time before starting Il-2, and as far as I know, running the game through Hyperlobby means that the markings don't apply.

One can also get around this with MAT Manager. However, all I really need are replacement textures for the Hakaristi and Hakenkreuz. This program installs thousands of textures, which frankly, I do not want. Ok, so I deleted them, no problem.

However, for the changes to take effect I have to set clearcache=0. After opening the game several times, the list of files within the Cache folder becomes enormous. The last I checked, I had over 2 GB of folders and files in there. All for just a couple 65kb textures!

So, when I had to copy my Il-2 to set up a backup, I had well over 360,000 separate files. Although each one was small, the fact that there were so many meant that it took hours to copy my backup and another few hours to delete the corrupted copy...(At least now I know to clear the cache before doing that again)

This brings me to my question: Is there any way to replace the markings within the game without going through all the run-around? I just want to be able to swap out one .tga for another and never have to worry about it again. Is there away to pry apart this structure of the game?

Luno13
10-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Hi guys. I figure this may well go into the community help forum, but I think more people will see it here.

As you know, the stock international version of Il-2 has no Hakaristi or Hakenkreuz. One can get around with Il-2 Stab, but then one has to load the program each time before starting Il-2, and as far as I know, running the game through Hyperlobby means that the markings don't apply.

One can also get around this with MAT Manager. However, all I really need are replacement textures for the Hakaristi and Hakenkreuz. This program installs thousands of textures, which frankly, I do not want. Ok, so I deleted them, no problem.

However, for the changes to take effect I have to set clearcache=0. After opening the game several times, the list of files within the Cache folder becomes enormous. The last I checked, I had over 2 GB of folders and files in there. All for just a couple 65kb textures!

So, when I had to copy my Il-2 to set up a backup, I had well over 360,000 separate files. Although each one was small, the fact that there were so many meant that it took hours to copy my backup and another few hours to delete the corrupted copy...(At least now I know to clear the cache before doing that again)

This brings me to my question: Is there any way to replace the markings within the game without going through all the run-around? I just want to be able to swap out one .tga for another and never have to worry about it again. Is there away to pry apart this structure of the game?

Metatron_123
10-08-2011, 04:09 AM
I'd suggest you use some mods, ultrapack being the most popular. These generally come with more subtle and detailed markings, and even new countries.

Tully__
10-08-2011, 06:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Luno13:
...As you know, the stock international version of Il-2 has no Hakaristi or Hakenkreuz... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If these are all you want, I think I recall seeing that they can be enabled with an added line in conf.ini
It's been a very long time since I saw that claimed so it may not apply in the current version but it might be worth a search on this or other IL2 forums.

Luno13
10-08-2011, 11:00 AM
The lines that I could find really only work with the Russian version or with some kind of mods:

enablehakenkruz=1 and HakenAllowed=1 (spelling mistake included).

There is another program by Jiri (the guy who gave us Hyperlobby) but it works in the same way as Stab and Mat Manager.

I'll try to keep digging, but I'll still be open to suggestions.

horchen1945
10-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Luno13,

If you are asking if there an easy way to get the swastikas to display on German and Finnish aircraft then might I suggest that you take a look at a posting I made on the Mission4Today General Forum. The topic is called "Easy way to get the swastika on German and Finnish aircraft".

I can assure you that this method DOES work with IL-2 1946.

Best of luck!

Luno13
10-30-2011, 02:45 PM
What can I say? This is perfect, thank you!

horchen1945
10-30-2011, 09:51 PM
No problem!

Glad to be of help.

horchen1945
11-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Luno13,

Did you try this and did you get it to work?

Just wondering…

Luno13
11-04-2011, 06:44 PM
Hi,

It works well, and it sort of works with Hyperlobby too:

Rename il2fb.exe into something like il2_2946.exe. Then rename il2hk.exe to il2fb.

When you open Hyperlobby, make sure to write the path to the new il2fb.exe (If you write the path to il2hk.exe, hyperlobby won't recognize it).

When joining a game, HL won't minimize and won't take you right to the game. Instead you will find the regular Il-2 Main Menu. However, if you go to the multiplayer menu you will see that the IP of the server you wanted to join is in the field. Simply click "join game" and the rest is normal.

horchen1945
11-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Hi there!

Excellent - and thanks for the tip about Hyperlobby. I've never tried it but now I know what to do when/if I do!