PDA

View Full Version : Will SH3 reaquire Internet Con. in order to play SP game?

EFileTahi-A
03-14-2005, 07:08 AM
Can someone clarify this doubt of mine? I mean, will SH3 have the same crappy system like HL2's steam?

MooseNoodles
03-14-2005, 07:19 AM
what does it matter if it did have ? If you are buying the game then why are you concerned?

I have HL2 and I dont find the steam software at all a problem, its easy to use and its just as easy to switch off after you have finished playing.

My two pennies worth.

Arsonide
03-14-2005, 07:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I have HL2 and I dont find the steam software at all a problem. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are one of the lucky ones then. I still can't play Half Life 2 because of Steam. It's a coaster. I bought a game, why can't I play it? Steam was also made to deliver custom content, and here we are a few months after the release of Half Life 2 and I'm seeing a distinct lack of mods...anyway that's my rant. Wasted my money.

Philipscdrw
03-14-2005, 07:44 AM
Why would SH3 require an internet connection to play single player? Many people don't have internet, making internet a requirement will just limit the customer base (which is already small - not many people will buy SH3 compared to HL2).

Look on the 'system requirements' thread, and see if it asks for internet.

Dominicrigg
03-14-2005, 07:56 AM
You dont need internet to play single player half life 2. Just select in the options to play without internet.

EFileTahi-A
03-14-2005, 10:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MooseNoodles:
what does it matter if it did have? If you are buying the game then why are you concerned?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What does it matter if the game does not have wolf-packs?
What does it matter if the game does not have Milk-cows?
What does it matter if the game does not support res above 1024x768?

For me it does not matter if the game relies true on the above facts, but, for some ppl they do matter. Why? Maybe because not all persons have the same goals, ideias, opinions and needs that I have...

What if the game needs internet connection to login every f*cking time you run the game like HL2 and get me stuck once a while because the server was busy, offline or whatever problem it had?
What if I was planning to use the game in places I don't have internet connection like running it on a notebook?
What if I do not buy the game because of this? You know, I made my mind NOT to support any future software who possesses this kind of system no matter how good they might be. And SH3 would not be an exception.

If for you this is not an issue, for me is. I pay for games to play them where I want and whenever I want, NOT when it's possible. If I knew about HL2's steams thing from the beginning I would definatly not buy it...

Sorry If I have a diferent view on things...

EFileTahi-A
03-14-2005, 10:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dominicrigg:
You dont need internet to play single player half life 2. Just select in the options to play without internet. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You will always need to login on Steam's servers in order to run the game. Thus you will need to have an Internet connection to acomplish this

stevenwhiting
03-14-2005, 10:33 AM
This might be 'cause of what I said. If so then I think if it did require online activation it will just be like the Windows activation. Where as Steam is totally different. If I'm correct in thinking, the hole game of HL2 wasn't on the CD, Steam had to download bits. Steam is the only breed of its kinda and I'm pretty sure SH3 ain't doing that.

I think the activation the guy talked about in that German review was either the optional registration (which he/she might of mistaken it as activation), it was actually activation much like the Windows XP activation or it was a preview, media copy when they have to activate to stop them making copies and giving them to mates.

I'd relax. After all Internet Connection isn't even in the min specs and would have to be if it had any sort of activation.

EFileTahi-A
03-14-2005, 10:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stevenwhiting:
This might be 'cause of what I said. If so then I think if it did require online activation it will just be like the Windows activation. Where as Steam is totally different. If I'm correct in thinking, the hole game of HL2 wasn't on the CD, Steam had to download bits. Steam is the only breed of its kinda and I'm pretty sure SH3 ain't doing that.

I think the activation the guy talked about in that German review was either the optional registration (which he/she might of mistaken it as activation), it was actually activation much like the Windows XP activation or it was a preview, media copy when they have to activate to stop them making copies and giving them to mates.

I'd relax. After all Internet Connection isn't even in the min specs and would have to be if it had any sort of activation. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your post stevenwhiting, I just wanted to make sure of it... It's incredible how ppl react to innocent questions...

Dominicrigg
03-14-2005, 10:51 AM
Wrong wrong wrong. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I was playing last night without internet, registration only im afraid... FACT!

Krycek1972
03-14-2005, 11:18 AM
I actually got my HL2 copy via steam and have never had any issues with it and Dominicrigg is right. You dont need to be connected with stream to play it offline. Its activation/multiplayer only.

EFileTahi-A
03-14-2005, 01:23 PM
When I double click my desktop icon Half Life 2 steam will ask for my account password (which requires an internet connection). If I do not insert the correct one or cancel it the game will not load...

Am I missing something?...

flankerbiotch
03-14-2005, 02:08 PM
You're absolutely right... I have HL2 and a dial up connection. Steam absolutely sucks! It frequently updates for half an hour to an hour before i can play the game. Sometimes, the updates even mess up the graphics!!! And, what if I don't want to update? I just want to play HL2! Why am I bound to update?

You all who have cable connections have no problem, sure. But some of us can't afford it! If you don't have cable, trust me, Steam sucks! I will never buy another Steam game.

MikeJW
03-14-2005, 04:09 PM
In theory HL2 doesnt need an internet connection to play after it's been validated. In practice for us 56k people it doesnt always work. I can play for a couple of days no problem, then I'll get the "not connected" message and have to run Steam and then waste 30 minutes or more downloading **** I'd already downloaded. Finally had enough and deleted the garbage and I will never, and I mean ever, buy anything like that again.

Dominicrigg
03-14-2005, 04:50 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Go to the settings, set steam so it doesnt auto run. Set your half life 2 game to start off line. Make a desktop icon.

Shazam!! Game works without internet connection or updating.

MikeJW
03-14-2005, 09:29 PM
Shazzam. It will work for a day or two and then back to the same thing. I know some people think those of us having problems with Steam are idiots but I have done everything suggested on Steams website since the game came out. Yes, even what you suggested. It doesnt work.

EFileTahi-A
03-15-2005, 03:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeJW:
Shazzam. It will work for a day or two and then back to the same thing. I know some people think those of us having problems with Steam are idiots but I have done everything suggested on Steams website since the game came out. Yes, even what you suggested. It doesnt work. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That explains why I can't make it work... I was beginning to despair believing myself that I was diferent from everybody else http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

EFileTahi-A
03-15-2005, 03:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeJW:
In theory HL2 doesnt need an internet connection to play after it's been validated. In practice for us 56k people it doesnt always work. I can play for a couple of days no problem, then I'll get the "not connected" message and have to run Steam and then waste 30 minutes or more downloading **** I'd already downloaded. Finally had enough and deleted the garbage and I will never, and I mean ever, buy anything like that again. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here...