PDA

View Full Version : The Snorkel: Care & Feeding.

Bubblehead1948
08-14-2006, 09:15 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif So here it is 1943. I got a snorkel.
Of course, I didn't have the sense to use it crossing Biscay on the first night out of port.
I was jumped by some kind of bomber. I went into a tight turn at ahead full and dove. I was rewarded for my relaxed attitude by minor damage and some flooding over six compartments. A minute later, the damn plane unloads a stick of ash cans on me on a second run, as though to add insult to injury. By this time I was at 20 meters, but they tore up the deck facilities a good deal. Hours later on the surface as the damage control people were repairing the mess, I mused over some thoughts about snorkels. Now remember; I'm using GW so I imagine that fact will have a bearing on some of the answers to my questions.

I know that the snorkel can be picked up on radar, and may attract an unwanted visit from a DD, but how well is it detected by aircraft? And if detected by aircraft, how likely are they to spot it at night? Some of you may have experience with this.

I used the snorkel off the north coast of Spain during both the day following the attack, and off and on during the night without any detection that I was aware of. Obviously, this thing is at least helpful, but I keep being concerned about aircraft.

Bubblehead1948
08-14-2006, 09:15 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif So here it is 1943. I got a snorkel.
Of course, I didn't have the sense to use it crossing Biscay on the first night out of port.
I was jumped by some kind of bomber. I went into a tight turn at ahead full and dove. I was rewarded for my relaxed attitude by minor damage and some flooding over six compartments. A minute later, the damn plane unloads a stick of ash cans on me on a second run, as though to add insult to injury. By this time I was at 20 meters, but they tore up the deck facilities a good deal. Hours later on the surface as the damage control people were repairing the mess, I mused over some thoughts about snorkels. Now remember; I'm using GW so I imagine that fact will have a bearing on some of the answers to my questions.

I know that the snorkel can be picked up on radar, and may attract an unwanted visit from a DD, but how well is it detected by aircraft? And if detected by aircraft, how likely are they to spot it at night? Some of you may have experience with this.

I used the snorkel off the north coast of Spain during both the day following the attack, and off and on during the night without any detection that I was aware of. Obviously, this thing is at least helpful, but I keep being concerned about aircraft.

lecek
08-14-2006, 10:38 PM
The snorkle works at PD and it is best to have your observation scope out just high enough to see.

If you are snorkling along and your TC drops without warning, your crew has spoted an enemy something. If you didn't have any sonar contacts it is best to CD and ask questions later.

If you are in a type IX your snorkle is longer then a VIIC and you can go deeper then PD a little bit. Ideally you want the top of the snorkle and scope to be always less then 1 meter above the water. In rough weather you cannot do this but that is ok because it is harder to see you in rough weather anyways.

Enemy plans can and will find you in the dark.

If you believe you have been spotted, be aware that aircraft will be comming around again and again for the the next few hours. If you surface or snorkle during that time you will just get spotted right away again. Then aircraft will come around for the next few more hours. You can chain yourself into battery exaustion. (Usually not O2 exaustion though.)

Virtual_Adept
08-15-2006, 04:51 AM
Get Tarmatte as soon as you can. It reduces your radar signature. I'm not sure, but I think this also applies to the snorkel.

No one's ever spotted my snorkel on radar (they've seen it visually upon ocasion though...).

U1942
08-15-2006, 10:06 AM
The Anti-Radar Coating is for the Snorkel. Get it when it becomes available. After June 1944, Allied radar will detect a raised snorkel.

I goofed and got the Anti-Sonar coating instead but didn't have enough renown for the Anti-Radar. Spent the next patrol submerged, running on batteries and only using the snorkel to recharge when the oxygen got down to 50%.

Bubblehead1948
08-15-2006, 07:08 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif Yeah, I know about the coatings. I hope to earn enough renown this trip to aquire
some.

These are all good points. I'm using a type IX, so I'll try running a little lower. This trip should be interesting... I'm headed for Capetown.

Cpt.Thorne
08-16-2006, 08:48 AM
One good thing about snorkel is to raise it during a storm This way if the Uboot plummets into the waves it is most likely that the snorkel will keep your Diesels runnign instead of making your engine crew works as crazy to switch on electric engines and then seconds later back to diesel and so on reducing speed. And yes Skyscope up and off you go if it is clear.
Prost!