PDA

View Full Version : Rig adequate?

Christos_swc
08-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Hi , I'd like to ask if you think my PC can handle Pacific Fighters coz I'm thinking of getting it.
I've played Il-2 Sturmovik and Forgoten Battles with it some time ago and I'm worried my cpu might be marginal since they were both very cpu sensitive.

Athlon XP1800+(@1670)
Radeon 9600 pro
512MB DDR333
ASUS A7V880
40GB WD HD

Don't have any 3DMark scores at the moment but they probably suck anyway.
Thanx

Christos_swc
08-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Hi , I'd like to ask if you think my PC can handle Pacific Fighters coz I'm thinking of getting it.
I've played Il-2 Sturmovik and Forgoten Battles with it some time ago and I'm worried my cpu might be marginal since they were both very cpu sensitive.

Athlon XP1800+(@1670)
Radeon 9600 pro
512MB DDR333
ASUS A7V880
40GB WD HD

Don't have any 3DMark scores at the moment but they probably suck anyway.
Thanx

ReligiousZealot
08-03-2005, 12:11 PM
I'd say so - it may not as good as the box pictures show it, but it'll run fine...you can tweak it if you want certain elements to look better than others. But by all means, buy it! With the full merged install, you won't be disappointed. I got several of my friends into it and one of them is actually buying a PC so he can run it better! Well, hope this helped some, hope to see you in the virtual skies soon http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Utchoud
08-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Hi, I've got weaker CPU (XP1600+), GeForce N6200, 1024 MB DDR266. It runs fine unless there are too many planes or too much flak in the air, on excellent settings. I had 512 MB RAM and for me, the additional 512 MB did not make much difference, but others say the improvement is significant between 512 MB and 1024 MB. Consider adding RAM.

By careful tweaking and setting the il2config.exe, you can get good output.

Utchoud

FI.Spitsfire
08-03-2005, 02:01 PM
I think its the graphics card that is most important, and you seem sorted for that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

fordfan25
08-03-2005, 02:42 PM
youll be ok. just cut the graphics down to med detail. youll have some slow down in missions with lots of AA and enemy planes im sure. specaly after patch 4.01.

Christos_swc
08-03-2005, 02:53 PM
You guys are quick.
Thanks a lot.
I have pleanty of experience tweaking Sturmovik and Forgotten Battles a year ago so I should have no problem with the graphical options here.
My RAM may be a bit of a slow down on the bigger maps I guess but I'll have to live with what I've got.
I'll be performing a complete upgrade in the next year so I don't want to throw any more money into this.
Was worried more about the cpu but from what u say it should be allright.
Forgotten battles had an air intensity command don't know if this one has it but if it does it might help as well.
See you all out there.

Utchoud
08-03-2005, 03:37 PM
The command still works - and I'm using it a lot http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Rebel_Yell_21
08-03-2005, 04:21 PM
You can double your ram very cheaply and it would be well worth it.

fordfan25
08-03-2005, 04:37 PM
yea IF you can bring your ram up to 1 gig in under 50 bucks then id say it would be worth it. but i wouldnt spend more than that. i had a comparible rig to yours when PF first came out ,p4 1.6,9500pro,512 pc2100 ram. it did just fine at med settings and 800/600 no AA or af or just 2XAA. more rame will help but it will not realy allow higher settings or FPS. just a little less stutters now and then. IMO http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Dew-Claw
08-04-2005, 05:29 AM
I've got the entire pf merged running on one of my rigs thats a lot less then yours and I have it running just fine.

I had to do alot of tuning and tweeking on it, but it runs smooth as silk with more than acceptable graphics.

Christos_swc
08-04-2005, 04:15 PM
Well got it up and running.
After setting it up I got treated with a number of vpu recovers.
Dropping the FSB down to 133 from 146 helped(no AGP lock for me) but the problem persisted.
Newest version of catalyst drivers didn't help either.
Finally I disabled fast writes in the BIOS and it seems to be ok now...
I think I'll be getting more RAM after all because loading times are pretty annoying.
Also I've set my sights on Silent Hunter 3 and that requires 1gig of RAM to run smoothly.
I already have a question even though I haven't patched it yet.
I've started multiple campaigns with both sides and the one I'm currently trying out is with the Ki43, as a fighter pilot.
However , whenever I get hit by any of the 24 fighters simultaneously engaging me(oh well, it was like that in Forgotten Battles as well!!!)I can't bail out.
It works in quick mission but it doesn't work in campaign play.
I've tried Ctrl+E and I've assigned other buttons as well but no cigar.
Anyone know anything?
Surely this early in the war the Japs were allowed to bail out weren't they?

neural_dream
08-04-2005, 05:35 PM
lol, yes they were. Sorry i can't help.

Silent Hunter 3 is absolutely brilliant, but after a few months of patches and support equal or better than 1C they suddenly decided to abandon the whole thing. Anyway, the game is still great despite that.

Yakbeard
08-04-2005, 06:15 PM
You may run into problems with big missions.

To make a long story short I recently upgraded from a P4 2.26 to a P4 3.06 to get rid of a nasty stutter in big missions. Before getting to this point I optimized XP, the game config, lowered graphics, and was already running 1 GB of pc 3200 Ram. It was not until I did the CPU that a fat mission like the PF pearl wave one would not get this stutter.

Atomic_Marten
08-04-2005, 08:13 PM
It will run ok on reasonable settings but also if you can put one more 512MB memory stick in your MB0.

Dew-Claw
08-05-2005, 02:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Surely this early in the war the Japs were allowed to bail out weren't they? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For much of the 1st half of the war the Japanese often didnt have chutes, they just wern't available.

Christos_swc
08-05-2005, 02:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dew-Claw:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Surely this early in the war the Japs were allowed to bail out weren't they? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For much of the 1st half of the war the Japanese often didnt have chutes, they just wern't available. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gee, that's great.
Who needs a parachute when surrounded by two dosens of enemy fighters anyway.
I always thought parachutes were overrated...
Still, thanks for letting me know.
I'll add another 512 of ram today.
The sound engine is much more bug free compared to previous releases and all stutters must be coming from the HD loading although the game seems much improved in this aspect as well.
After take off I have to say I didn't notice any.
Yakbeard I know what you mean, the whole rig has to be powerful,including sound card, I only have a Soundblaster Live!, but I'll have to make do for the moment with what I have.

alert_1
08-05-2005, 04:44 AM
I have XP1800+ (not OC), 1024 MB DDR266, GF4Ti4200 (128) and while I sometimes wish I had faster CPU I'm mostly fine (excellent settings]. 1Gig of RAM is really helpful on big maps (Gulf of Finnland).
I plane upgrade only AFTER BoB is out...

neural_dream
08-05-2005, 05:04 AM
XP1800, 512DDR266, ATI9600 and no problem with excellent settings in PF. I do have some with LOMAC though.

Christos_swc
08-05-2005, 02:37 PM
The framerate was ok at excellent settings at 1024x768 32 bit icluding 2AA and 2AF I think.
But I've got it down to 800x600 16bit and mid settings ,no AA and AF in order to save me some memory from lowering texture quality.
As soon as I drop the new RAM in I'll pump up the graphics again.
**** , I even close explorer.exe and launch the game from the task manager...