PDA

View Full Version : [Mac] Has anyone tried it on a PowerBook G4?

oscarloo
11-09-2004, 04:07 PM
I've downloaded the demo and it seems to be working (albeit slowely); but I haven't had a chance to explore much. I'm running it on a 1 GHz G4 PowerBook, with the ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 graphics. Can anyone comment on how well the demo's performance would translate to performance in the regular game release? In other words, if the demo "seems" to be working, can I reasonably expect the real thing to work too?

maztec
11-09-2004, 04:33 PM
heh, if you can get it installed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

I've heard people that have got it working. But it requires OSX 10.3.6 because of graphics issues.

lwatson
11-10-2004, 07:38 PM
I've been playing Revelation on my PB 17 1.33GHz with 1GB RAM for several weeks prior to the 10.3.6 Update. No Problems then; no problems now.

As I'm in Spire, I'm grappling with the decision to install the Revelation 1.0.1 Patch. And, since I'm reading a lot about avoiding it, I may do so.

I have, however, unsuccessfully tried to install the Patch. I've communicated with UBI Support, and I think the Patch will not install because I'd previously deleted the vpd.properties file. ...Let me quote their last reply to me:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Please make sure that you are selecting the Myst4 root folder and NOT the Myst4.app file when browsing to the game directory.

Also, it seems that the Myst IV patcher will fail if the vpd.properties file is missing from your home directory. The vpd.properties file contains a registry of checksums and pathnames for all installed files. The patcher uses this file to know where you installed Myst IV, and if you've installed the patch yet.

If you had deleted the vpd.properties file, or are experiencing a problem installing the patch, you will need to uninstall the game, delete the files and folder left over in the game directory (if any) and reinstall the game to the default location. After reinstalling, immediately apply the v1.01 patch. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frankly, I'm not sure I want to do all that uninstall and re-install business. I may wait awhile longer in hopes about hearing of a modified Patch being available.

lwatson
11-11-2004, 06:53 PM
I've just received a follow-up reply from UbiSoft Support to inquiries that will be obvious. Here's that reply:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>To answer your questions:
1. Yes, the Spider Chair can be completed without the patch
2. Yes, the second patch for Myst IV is due out the beginning of next week that will resolve most of the issues in the game. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will await the second version of the Patch.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

oscarloo
11-12-2004, 01:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maztec:
heh, if you can get it installed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

I've heard people that have got it working. But it requires OSX 10.3.6 because of graphics issues. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I did install the 10.3.6 update a few days back, so no problem there. Thanks for the feedback!

oscarloo
11-12-2004, 01:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lwatson:
I've been playing Revelation on my PB 17 1.33GHz with 1GB RAM for several weeks prior to the 10.3.6 Update. No Problems then; no problems now. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks very much for the feedback, as well as the information about the forthcoming second patch. I've just been trying to decide whether to add Revelation to my Amazon wish list, and I guess this has helped to tip the scales. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

lwatson
11-12-2004, 09:04 PM
A final follow-up about the forthcoming version 2 of Patch 1.0.1 (...1.0.2?).

Here's today's reply from UbiSoft's Support:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You should not have to uninstall Myst IV to install the next patch...unless that file is missing. The patch will include all of the previous fixes from the first patch. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Note: that file refers to the vpd.properties file

...More to follow as we'll see what happens when the 2d version of THE Patch arrives.

greenseawater
11-27-2004, 05:20 PM
Revelation is playable (so far) on a PowerBook G4 with 800MHz/512 RAM and ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 running on 10.3.6. No problems with the install (full). Ran the ares config patch but not the Ubi patch (the warnings around here look ominous)

Tomahna still has some ugly blocks and random colors (worse befor ares file fixed), but Spire looks great. If it's an ATI card problem why should one age look so bad and another be free of the problem?

The videos are running smoothly as well. The transitions in navigating are really s-l-o-w as is the response of Thing...I mean the cursor. Maybe it's the hand from Evil Dead 2?

maztec
11-27-2004, 05:31 PM
greenseawater -- Patch 1.0.1 should be fine on the Mac.