PDA

View Full Version : I feel I've been cheated

rwazar
03-22-2007, 07:56 AM
I love the SH series and enjoyed SH3 since it was released and I know the devs spent a lot of time and hardwork on the game, and I really do appreciate their efforts. I'm sure this game will, in time, be a gem. But I think Ubi screwed us and the dev's on this one with an "accelerated release". So far, the one thing that really bugs me the most is picture quality. I didn't buy a high-powered system for nothing and I surely don't appreciate spending my $$$'s on a game that cannot/willnot/doesnot take advantage of it. I REALLY REALLY miss FSAA. Especially when my screens native resolution is 1920x1200 and the 3d objects look like they were constructed with lego's.

The prospect of a patch WAS something to look forward to until I read the list. There sure are lots of "Added Added Added" and "Improved Improved" but I sure didn't see any "Fixed" on that list.

As is the case with every Ubi experience of mine, I paid my $50 to become a beta tester.

/Rant

rwazar
03-22-2007, 07:56 AM
I love the SH series and enjoyed SH3 since it was released and I know the devs spent a lot of time and hardwork on the game, and I really do appreciate their efforts. I'm sure this game will, in time, be a gem. But I think Ubi screwed us and the dev's on this one with an "accelerated release". So far, the one thing that really bugs me the most is picture quality. I didn't buy a high-powered system for nothing and I surely don't appreciate spending my $$$'s on a game that cannot/willnot/doesnot take advantage of it. I REALLY REALLY miss FSAA. Especially when my screens native resolution is 1920x1200 and the 3d objects look like they were constructed with lego's.

The prospect of a patch WAS something to look forward to until I read the list. There sure are lots of "Added Added Added" and "Improved Improved" but I sure didn't see any "Fixed" on that list.

As is the case with every Ubi experience of mine, I paid my $50 to become a beta tester.

/Rant

ThornNRazor
03-22-2007, 08:10 AM
I'm sort of thankful in a way though. I understand where you're coming from and I do feel that ALL products should be complete to begin with, but in a way I look forward to patches and game updates that add content and fix bugs. It's almost like getting a new game for free. Also, PC games are extremely difficult to program correctly since there are thousands of different PC setups in the world and the Dev team has to configure the game to be able to run on all these multiple platforms. If it were a console game, there would be no patching and you would be stuck with what you got.

I think you're the first to post that the graphics are not good though. That's a shocking statement!

I think most people think the graphics are really good. If you're talking about the resolution, then that IS a bit of a letdown, but still, at least it's not stuck at 1024X768 like SHIII was.

Tracer63
03-22-2007, 08:33 AM
Why are people more like a 'graphics only' console junky? I mean the immersion (excuse the pun) is absolutely what makes flight/naval sims endear to us. Or is it; "did"?

The graphics are gorgeous, the post filter makes the game look like something out of a war film!
My wife looked at the underwater views (seaweed,debris) ,the sub visible under the surface and the crew walking about the decks of ships. She said simulations are now soooo life like.
Did she mention jaggies? Nope. (Oh yes she has been PC gaming herself for 13years) She looked at SH4 in comparison to SH2/3 and was gob smacked
I couldn't care less about gorgeous AF/AA graphics if the gameplay isn't there.

rwazar
03-22-2007, 08:35 AM
Yeah, I understand how the gaming industry works, and moreso the computer industry. It's true that most, but not all products go out the door with known issues that get resolved later. It's just a patern with this company, and to them it's acceptable because well who else am I gonna buy a subsim from? It's sad.

As far as the graphics are concerned, most of it does look nice. It just needs a lot of cleaning up which hopefully will be taken care of by a patch but I'd be willing to bet a modder finds a fix first.

Honestly, tell me if you think the rig listed below should have any problem playing any game at it's highest resolution:
(not that it's slow....just ugly)
System Specs: HP xw8400 workstation
Vista Enterprise 64bit
2x 3.00GHz dual core Xeon
6GB RAM
Primary drive 4x 146GB 10k SAS Raid 0
Backup drive 2x 500GB SATA Raid 1
8800GTS Superclocked 320MB
24inch widescreen HP LP2465 lcd monitor

rwazar
03-22-2007, 09:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tracer63:
Why are people more like a 'graphics only' console junky? I mean the immersion (excuse the pun) is absolutely what makes flight/naval sims endear to us. Or is it; "did"?

The graphics are gorgeous, the post filter makes the game look like something out of a war film!
My wife looked at the underwater views (seaweed,debris) ,the sub visible under the surface and the crew walking about the decks of ships. She said simulations are now soooo life like.
Did she mention jaggies? Nope. (Oh yes she has been PC gaming herself for 13years) She looked at SH4 in comparison to SH2/3 and was gob smacked
I couldn't care less about gorgeous AF/AA graphics if the gameplay isn't there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I were a graphics only junky would I be here?? I despise consoles by the way, they're killing the PC gaming market.

yeah, a war film made with lego's. You think that doesn't take away from immersion?? What resolution do you play in? whats your setup?

Trust me, I'm not done with the game, just dissapointed at the initial product.

Tracer63
03-22-2007, 09:40 AM
I don't have an uber rig.
GeForce 7800GT (FOC) PCI-E 256mb and play at 1600x1200 -yes CRT is my preferred visual platform. Wife has 19" TFT =i don't like, even with an 8ms responce.
Don't know where you get the 'lego' graphics from??? Maybe something to do with your monitor?

TheRealPotoroo
03-22-2007, 09:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tracer63:
Don't know where you get the 'lego' graphics from??? Maybe something to do with your monitor? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The higher the resolution the more "lego-like" the graphics (not the UI, which runs natively at the specified resolution). It's a byproduct of Ubi's decision to keep the 3D game engine locked at 1024 x 768 and then upsizing the image in order to improve performance on less powerful PCs.

And far from being the first to complain the graphics are not good enough, the OP has in fact just joined a very long queue. SubSim is going sick with complaints about the poor graphics quality at high resolutions and lack of AA.

ThornNRazor
03-22-2007, 09:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rwazar:
Yeah, I understand how the gaming industry works, and moreso the computer industry. It's true that most, but not all products go out the door with known issues that get resolved later. It's just a patern with this company, and to them it's acceptable because well who else am I gonna buy a subsim from? It's sad.

As far as the graphics are concerned, most of it does look nice. It just needs a lot of cleaning up which hopefully will be taken care of by a patch but I'd be willing to bet a modder finds a fix first.

Honestly, tell me if you think the rig listed below should have any problem playing any game at it's highest resolution:
(not that it's slow....just ugly)
System Specs: HP xw8400 workstation
Vista Enterprise 64bit
2x 3.00GHz dual core Xeon
6GB RAM
Primary drive 4x 146GB 10k SAS Raid 0
Backup drive 2x 500GB SATA Raid 1
8800GTS Superclocked 320MB
24inch widescreen HP LP2465 lcd monitor </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice rig! You shouldn't have any problems graphically or processor wise. This sim must run uber fast on your system. My system's only like half of what you've got, and I'm able to play it smooth as a silk with maxed out everything.

rwazar
03-22-2007, 09:47 AM
Not sure exactly whats causing it. When I get home today I'll try a few different resolutions, try a previous vid driver rev.

I do know that I'm not the only one experiencing this though. It's a hot topic over on subsim.

TheRealPotoroo
03-22-2007, 10:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rwazar:
Not sure exactly whats causing it. When I get home today I'll try a few different resolutions, try a previous vid driver rev. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I explained what's causing it and it's got nothing to do with your video driver.

rwazar
03-22-2007, 12:01 PM
slow bb

Why would someone lock the resolution in order to improve performance on less powerful PC's?? I don't by that for one second. If you have a less powerfull PC and it doesn't run in 1600x1200 then turn it down (like any other game) and it'll run fine. It's locked for some other reason.
What they did causes an otherwise nice looking game to look like the original Wolfenstien on large/widescreen monitors.