PDA

View Full Version : Trimming He-111 for bombing run

Flakwalker
06-23-2004, 02:19 PM
Anyone can tell me how to trim this aircraft for precise level bombing?, I had tried a lot, with right engine and trims but not succesfully. The TB-3 is more stable so it drop the bombs quite accurate.

Flakwalker
06-23-2004, 02:19 PM
Anyone can tell me how to trim this aircraft for precise level bombing?, I had tried a lot, with right engine and trims but not succesfully. The TB-3 is more stable so it drop the bombs quite accurate.

xTHRUDx
06-23-2004, 02:24 PM
use the auto leveler and trim further. even though the leveler is on, it will still accept trim imputs, a kind of "flying by trim" if you will.

Jenny_B
06-24-2004, 07:04 AM
I find that the HE-111 needs a lot of trim in order to fly level with autolevel when loaded. When you've dropped the bombs, autolevel is neutral but then you don't need it any more.

An annoying aspect is that the autopilot changes your trim, so once you've got it right, you'll need to retrim from scratch again if you've jumped to a gun turret and back (since this engages autopilot).

--Jenny

Tully__
06-24-2004, 08:18 AM
Since you have considerably more resolution in the throttle control than you have in trim, it's sometimes easier to trim "close enough" with the trim controls then fine tune with very small throttle adjustments. This will take a little longer to settle in though http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

=================================================

http://members.optusnet.com.au/tully_78th/sig.jpg

IL2 Forums Moderator
Forum Terms of Use (http://www.ubi.com/US/Info/TermsOfUse.htm)
Tully's X-45 profile (SST drivers) (http://members.optusnet.com.au/tully_78th/fb.zip)

Salut
Tully

tfu_iain1
06-24-2004, 09:52 AM
with regard to the problem of the autopilot resetting the trim, map a key for controlling the autopilot automation and turn it off.

when you switch to a gunner, itll leave the plane under your control... just remember to turn the gunner autopilot off to use the gun, then back on when you leave so the gun isnt left unused. the plane remains under your control all the time, but as its trimmed and level, you dont need to use the column anyway. when you return to the cockpit its still trimmed for you http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Baron_Kiptofen
06-24-2004, 10:24 AM
I'm not the best bomber pilot in the world, but I seem able to do ok, so maybe my advice will help!

Firstly, using the HE111, you have an absolute godsend in the HE's bombsight. But the first thing to do is ensure all the right keys are set for using it. You already have the Elevation and Speed keys, but you will need to set the following too:

Elevator Adjustment Keys, Bombsight View Angle Up/Down, Bombsight Automation Toggle.

Once done, approach a target like this: from before you can see the target, swap to Bombardier position, then bombsight view and set rough altitude and speed. Now elevate the bombsight to 90 degress, looking forward. Wobble left and right until you can line up on roughly where the target is, then apply Auto Level. Now use the elevator controls to trim for level flight. I find in both the TB3 and HE that there's a point beyond which elevator won't go, which always seems to be level flight, but I could be imagining that. Anyway, you'll find your own feeling for the 'plane...
By now you should be level and heading towards target. When it comes into view, take auto level off and correct with gentle turns, using the crosshairs so you are approaching it directly (the vertical should cut through the target, and the horizontal should be level with the horizon) and then place autolevel back on. Check speed and altitude, then move the cross hairs down from 90 degrees and to just before the target (not on it). Engage Bombsight Automation; I find though that more often than not, the automation creeps forward from the target. This is because the speed bar doesn't measure height to individual feet, but in units of feet: You may still be losing height without noticing it. Disengage automation when it creeps far enough forward to give you a second or so of time before catching the target again, quickly drop the height setting 10 or so feet, re-engage automation.
With this fine tuning, I find I am accurate enough to always hit a ship with at least one bomb. And then get shot down by it's AAA because I've been level for so long. Oh well!

Flakwalker
06-24-2004, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the tips.

One thing, have you tried to level bomb using the H-6 with a point set of bombs, let say a SC 1000, a transport ship on movement?

I think those types of attacks where done at low altitude however the bombsight only work on 800 meters and up.

The idea is made a level bombing not a dive bombing. The Condor crews used such tactic on anti-shiping.

Also I notice that transports ship can not be damaged by 20mm cannon (well no cannon can destroy them even 30mm) but He-111 had one just for anti-shiping.

Jenny_B
06-24-2004, 10:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tfu_iain1:
with regard to the problem of the autopilot resetting the trim, map a key for controlling the autopilot automation and turn it off.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know that one, but I find jumping around between the different gunner positions too slow if you have to switch off AP when you get there and back on before you leave.

--Jenny

Flakwalker
06-24-2004, 05:53 PM
I tried to level bomb a destroyer on QMB with a He-111 H-6 armed with 2 SC 1000. After try and problems with wrong aproach (the ships apear when they are so close so the time for aiming and make flight corrections is quite little), I finally was able to line up and using the gunsight at almost 2000 meters I hit the destoyer at the stern with one bomb, the other hit the water.

Baron_Kiptofen
06-24-2004, 06:34 PM
Don't be discouraged by that bomb run: Hitting any mobile target with a level bomber without monsterous levels of TNT is quite an achievement! You would be better dive or skip bombing against such targets...

However the HE111 makes an excellent torpedo bomber, because it can take so many hits from AA: Which is handy when attacking ships with defenses... I find it easier to aim for the long range AA than the hide and seek boats! You could always fly Bombardier or Nose Gunner and use the zoomed in view before switching to Bombsight view to spot the ship itself early to get an idea of it's direction.

_VR_ScorpionWorm
06-24-2004, 07:53 PM
For ships you will want to use the H6 with its torpedoes. First off, print out the IAS/TAS chart to convert your speed. After a bunch of test with the squad Im in, we have concluded that using the speed bar below 2000 meters and using the chart above 2000 meters give perfect re****s.

If you have an X45 here is what you can do. Map your thumb rotary to elevator trim, set all key commands for you bomb sight. Before you lift off input you alt. into the bombsight, I usually bomb at 3000 meters. Make sure you are lined up to target, 10 degrees plus or minus is acceptable, you can use rudder trim for corrections on course. Climb about 100 meters above your actual bomb alt.(3000 alt + 100 alt= 3100 alt) Apply 80-90% throttle, now using your rotary apply full positive trim(making your ship move up), hit the level stableizer button. Your plane might drop a few meters, hence the extra 100, in the bombadiers position take note of the alt. change, every mark couts as ten meters on the sight, be sure to use it, the bombsight increases/decreases in 10 meters. The speed bar may say 3000 meters but you may actually be flying at 3250 meters. It is important that you read the altimiter on the bombsight often and make adjustments accordingly. Jump back to the pilots set often to to make sure you are flying level by looking at your climb indicator, make adjustments on your trim as needed. Since I bomb at 3000 meters I always put 360KPH TAS because the HE will rarely go over 350KPH IAS at level flight.(consult IAS/TAS chart on CD)

Now just set bombsight automation on and wait till your bombs drop, you will want to aim just before the target, you can turn it on and off to get it just right, just dont wait too long. Using these steps gets me "perfect" results everytime. If you dont believe me ask my fellow squadies. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Anything I missed ask away.(Im sure I missed something)

"Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary force:
You are about to embark upon a Great Crusade toward which we have strived these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking" - Gen. Dwight D. Eiseinhower-Supreme Allied Commander.

www.vultures-row.com (http://www.vultures-row.com)

Flakwalker
06-25-2004, 12:52 PM
Yes, but using torpedoes is quite easy, level bomb them is more fun.
There are two thing that I will want: one is a object camera mode and the other is the posibility to damage ships with gunfire.