PDA

View Full Version : Saitek x36F setup for IL-2

Ruffhaus
04-26-2009, 07:06 AM
I'm having difficulty getting my Saitek X36F joystick to work with IL-2. Other hardware I am using: a pair of CH rudders, a trackball, a Track IR, and a secondary keyboard.

Do I need a specific driver for the joystick/throttle, or is there some hardware compatibility issue I need to be made aware of?

Hey, thanks in advance! I really want to get this thing flying!

Ruffhaus
04-26-2009, 07:06 AM
I'm having difficulty getting my Saitek X36F joystick to work with IL-2. Other hardware I am using: a pair of CH rudders, a trackball, a Track IR, and a secondary keyboard.

Do I need a specific driver for the joystick/throttle, or is there some hardware compatibility issue I need to be made aware of?

Hey, thanks in advance! I really want to get this thing flying!

Tully__
04-26-2009, 07:38 AM
If memory serves, these are game port sticks dating back to around 1999 - 2001? If so, you'll probably need a driver of some sort to make full use of the stick but the basic stuff should work OK in XP. If you're using Vista I don't know if there's much in the way of support for this sort of controller. I've no experience at all with gameport devices and Windows Vista.

As far as the game is concerned, at least in the earlier versions and as far as I know in the latest version, if Windows recognises the controller so does the game, up to a total of four different controllers. You may need to re-assign some of the controls though, as the default assignments assume you only have one controller plugged in. Axis assignments (ailerons, rudder, elevators) are made right at the bottom of the controls screen in the game, under the heading HOTAS CONTROLS

Ruffhaus
04-26-2009, 09:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tully__:
If memory serves, these are game port sticks dating back to around 1999 - 2001? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, they are ancient. They do have a usb gidget on them though... I've managed to get everything configured except for the stick & throttle. Thanks for the advice - I'll check that stuff out.

P.S. I dig Corsairs.

STENKA_69.GIAP
04-27-2009, 06:00 AM
I picked up an X36F stick and throttle recently and was unable to find a driver to make it work under Vista in either USB and gamport mode. If I remember right I also tried XP SP3 and no joy either.

I then completely rewired it onto a Leo Bodnar USB board

http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/joystick/

For good measure I grafted on an F16 stick handle - but that was just gratuitous meddling.

So yes you can upgrade an X36 to full modern supported USB for around 40 euros. However, you will be dealing with dozens and I mean dozens of little wires and need to be well practiced with soldering iron and circuit tester

It's certainly easier and probably just as cheap to buy a second hand X52 on ebay.