PDA

View Full Version : Gameplay in IL2/Pacific Fighters series versus BOB II...

froazan
04-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Please don't flame me. I am an old Battle of Britain fan from the 90's. I tried IL2 Stormovich and own it. I liked it but it was missing something. So...

Question regarding IL2:FB and or 1946 and the new one comming... And this is a serious question. I am not trying to downplay IL2. It is a great sim with a great community. However...

Do they have a campain storyline that you can play through? The original IL2 seemed to be missing that "I'm in a war" sensation. Or the "My actions have an effect on the days outcome". Or the "I ... just... gotta... make it back... to the ... airstrip (in the voice of a dieing pilot persued by 2 enemy craft)". Or will the enemy actually do something smart like dive for speed and attempt to escape because you punctured his fuel tank and he is blowing smoke only to eject over freindly teritory hoping to survive but you blast his parachute to smitherreens and then realise you are running low on fuel and far from home and 3 dots appear on the horizon and you think. Oh no. I'm screwed.... If I lose this ACE pilot I will lose others in the whole scheme of things on the battle map making tomorrows bombing runs really hard.

This is what I got used to in the original BOB. And I really hope they captured it in the BOB II fully patched game I have comming. But does 1946 or IL2:FB PF or the comming BOB installment do this sort of thing?

C.

froazan
04-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Please don't flame me. I am an old Battle of Britain fan from the 90's. I tried IL2 Stormovich and own it. I liked it but it was missing something. So...

Question regarding IL2:FB and or 1946 and the new one comming... And this is a serious question. I am not trying to downplay IL2. It is a great sim with a great community. However...

Do they have a campain storyline that you can play through? The original IL2 seemed to be missing that "I'm in a war" sensation. Or the "My actions have an effect on the days outcome". Or the "I ... just... gotta... make it back... to the ... airstrip (in the voice of a dieing pilot persued by 2 enemy craft)". Or will the enemy actually do something smart like dive for speed and attempt to escape because you punctured his fuel tank and he is blowing smoke only to eject over freindly teritory hoping to survive but you blast his parachute to smitherreens and then realise you are running low on fuel and far from home and 3 dots appear on the horizon and you think. Oh no. I'm screwed.... If I lose this ACE pilot I will lose others in the whole scheme of things on the battle map making tomorrows bombing runs really hard.

This is what I got used to in the original BOB. And I really hope they captured it in the BOB II fully patched game I have comming. But does 1946 or IL2:FB PF or the comming BOB installment do this sort of thing?

C.

Chivas
04-20-2007, 12:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">hoping to survive but you blast his parachute to smitherreens </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now thats scary....so much for the gentlemen of the sky. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Chivas
04-20-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm not sure what else IL-2 can do make you feel your in WW2 combat. It has a decent FM, DM, AI, Aircraft models, Sounds, and mapped terrain. You bring the imagination. It can't model the Battle of Britain because it doesn't have the Map or some of the aircraft models. If you like the Battle of Britain, BOB WOV, does a great job. Fly them both.

Doug97
04-20-2007, 12:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by froazan:

This is what I got used to in the original BOB. And I really hope they captured it in the BOB II fully patched game I have comming. But does 1946 or IL2:FB PF or the comming BOB installment do this sort of thing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Re. 1946 and IL2:FB and PF ... the answer to your question is "no". Don't know about the upcoming BoB, though.

Chivas
04-20-2007, 12:56 PM
The feel you get from BOB WOV is the large scale air battles where aircraft are roaring, flak is bursting all around you and the constant yelling of Pilots over the RT. Its very immersive. The Il-2 campaigns are dosile in comparison, because it models a different type of air battle.

Its quite easy to get a similiar effect with IL-2. Just go into the Mission Builder and place 75 109's, 75 He111's, and a couple of dozen Spits and Hurricanes over some flak units.

There is an BOB english voice pack available also, but without an BOB map it still loses something.

When SOW BOB comes out it will have all that and more.

Crash_Moses
04-20-2007, 01:49 PM
I'd have to say, "Yes...but..."

Many of the user made campaigns do a wonderful job of putting you and your plane into a good story.

I have BOB II and I love it but I really enjoy many of the fan created campaigns for IL-2 also. I recommend heading over to Mission4today (http://www.mission4today.com) and downloading some of Zeus-cats dive bomber campaigns or the two Castaway campaigns.

If you like those then hop over to GoGamer (http://www.gogamer.com) and get Wings over Water and Wings over Jungle. They're worth it.

S!

LEXX_Luthor
04-23-2007, 06:01 PM
Idependent modder Lowengrin has programmed an immersive dynamic campaign engine for the sim, various theaters.

Here ~&gt; http://www.lowengrin.com/news.php

Don't expect special treatment as player for your "actions," as I *think* Lowengrin's campaign generator treats your success or failure the same as the AI, or I would hope so anyway. That means, you are a realistic part of the air war and can have a contribution to your side's effort, but not any more than AI pilots. The way it should be.