PDA

View Full Version : Help please!

danjama
05-22-2011, 02:12 PM
Hello everyone, i'm desperate for help, or rather, confirmation of my diagnosis.

Problem started this morning. Computer was fine, then suddenly black lines appeared around screen and mouse cursor. Screen froze, i had to press restart button. On restart, computer posted/booted as normal, but when the windows logon screen should have appeared, instead the screen turned blotchy black/blue and nothing happened. No mouse. just a half black/blue screen. Now, i left it a few hours and nothing has changed.

My suspicion is graphics card.

I'm able to login via safe mode and VGA mode which i'm in now. In VGA mode i can get to login screen and login fine, but it's in 640*480. As soon as i change the resolution above 640*480 the screen dies again/turns black. Also, when in VGA mode, there are thin black lines across the middle and bottom of screen.

It must be the graphics card right?

I'm running windows XP SP3 with athlon 64 3200+, 2gb pc3200 ram and Nvidia 8800gts.

Any help is appreciated.

danjama
05-22-2011, 02:12 PM
Hello everyone, i'm desperate for help, or rather, confirmation of my diagnosis.

Problem started this morning. Computer was fine, then suddenly black lines appeared around screen and mouse cursor. Screen froze, i had to press restart button. On restart, computer posted/booted as normal, but when the windows logon screen should have appeared, instead the screen turned blotchy black/blue and nothing happened. No mouse. just a half black/blue screen. Now, i left it a few hours and nothing has changed.

My suspicion is graphics card.

I'm able to login via safe mode and VGA mode which i'm in now. In VGA mode i can get to login screen and login fine, but it's in 640*480. As soon as i change the resolution above 640*480 the screen dies again/turns black. Also, when in VGA mode, there are thin black lines across the middle and bottom of screen.

It must be the graphics card right?

I'm running windows XP SP3 with athlon 64 3200+, 2gb pc3200 ram and Nvidia 8800gts.

Any help is appreciated.

Xiolablu3
05-22-2011, 02:34 PM
I agree mate, gfx card.

Can u take it out and try the onboard motherboard gfx? Or doesnt it have one?...some mobos do, some dont..

Sounds like one of the RAM chips on the gfx card died.

You can pick up a 2nd hand 8800GT on ebay for around 35-40 if you look carefully.

[link removed]

My Asus 8800 GT 1gb was 40 a year ago 2nd hand, runs great. My bro got a geforce 260 1gb for 60 a few months ago.

danjama
05-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Negative on the onboard graphics card. This is an NF4 board with no onboard - sucks. But i'm lucky it will run in VGA mode.

I think i'll pop out to my local computer exchange shop tomorrow and pick up a cheap gpu, or as you say, check ebay. Then swap them out and problem should be solbed.

Fingers crossed.

Xiolablu3
05-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Actually that link I posted may be a faulty 8800 looking at the desc, but you can get them at that price if you keep looking.

M_Gunz
05-22-2011, 03:02 PM
If you have a Linux LiveCD or LiveUSB then you could test that it isn't a Windows problem.
Not as good but possible, see about booting your Windows install disc. Just don't do the install.

danjama
05-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Thanks M Gunz, but i'm 99% sure it's a hardware issue.

Here's a new twist - completed a driver sweep, and tried to install new Nvidia drivers - version 270.61 recommended for my card.

GPU driver installation failed. So that's almost a comfirmation of a broken GPU i'm thinking.

danjama
05-22-2011, 03:18 PM
I just installed GPU-Z. Here's a screenshot -

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/danjama/gpuzscreen.jpg

Guessing the clock speed is a give away.

JSG72
05-22-2011, 03:21 PM
Whilst in VGA.
Go to control panel.
Click on device manager and check out display adapter.
That should confirm?

Looks like you've got nothing on the GPUz "clock".

M_Gunz
05-23-2011, 02:34 AM
GPU with actual clock Zero would show what? Default clock is 576mz.

It might be good to find out what that label GPU clock -actually- means. That's the problem with troubleshoot by the symptom and guess method, it's not really troubleshooting.

I had a friend who used to have all kinds of hardware problems and spent wads of money replacing parts. Most of them were bad in time and replacing them did 'fix' things temporarily but for two years his real problem was that he believed that grounding his PC was optional. His proof was that he could run the PC. While most people with hardware problems can say that they are good on grounding, there are many other real problem sources that can have much the same effect of creating problems that don't point back to them. Taking an occasional look at voltages and temperatures on your BIOS diagnostic screen will get you used to seeing how your PC is running and show you when the PSU is nearing its limits, for example.

Your next logical step would be to try that videocard in another PC but perhaps you don't have one handy. If it's bad in another chassis then you can be much more sure. Why bother? Because when you started up, before Windows got into it, the thing worked at all. After that, everything is maybe with only a pretty good chance of right. Every so often it isn't. It's good practice to be sure.

nvrsummer2
05-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Was gonna add it could be power supply, cant hurt to try a diff one if you can. But it does sound like bad chips onboard. Also, if possible, try diff main RAM chips. Or if you have more than 1, take one out and test. You'd be surprised what parts can do to other parts. Can you try an older driver from nvidia?

danjama
05-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Went out and bought a cheap card, 5450HD from local shop. Problem solved.

Will return this card for refund and buy a decent card, now that I know what the problem was.