wolf_288
03-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Hi
How to optimize the trim in aircrafts
where to find a guide about this???? IL-2 V4.08

Lt_Letum
03-08-2009, 10:12 AM
You don't really need a guide.
Just trim the rudder until the yaw ball is centered and trim the elevators until you do not need to hold the stick to achieve the desired angle of attack.

McHilt
03-08-2009, 10:37 AM
If you mean key-technically how...
just bind some keys to that function under the control section in game.

megalopsuche
03-08-2009, 11:27 AM
He might be wondering about trim in the roll axis, which for a lot of aircraft is correctly absent.

ausgixxerpilot
03-08-2009, 12:45 PM
I was getting ready to ask about aileron trim myself so thanks for this :-)
I was starting to think there was a problem with the keyboard mapping :-)

b2spirita
03-08-2009, 12:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by megalopsuche:
He might be wondering about trim in the roll axis, which for a lot of aircraft is correctly absent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

rudder also.

Skycat_2
03-08-2009, 01:28 PM
US aircraft are typically fully trimmable. Other nations usually have only some of the axes trimmable. Nearly all planes have elevator trim, ie 'nose up' or 'nose down.' One the other hand, rudder trim is somewhat rare in aircraft of the era.

DKoor
03-08-2009, 02:44 PM
Fly Tchaikahttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

horseback
03-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Some aircraft had it, some didnít, to a greater or lesser extent. Many a/c had trim tabs that were adjusted on the ground for level flight at cruise speed, which means that when youíre NOT at cruise speed, youíll have to compensate for that tendency to roll or climb or turn.

In-game, the only ones who enjoy perfect trim at all times are the AI, so you arenít alone. For keyboard trim, the defaults are CTL+the up-down, left-right arrow keys for elevator and aileron, and CTL+X or Z for rudder trim.

I have plenty of spare buttons on my rig, so I have rudder and elevator trim reassigned to the cardinal points (N-S-E-W) on my POV hat on the stick (I have TrackIR, so the POV hat is not needed), and for those a/c with aileron trim, I have other buttons assigned when necessary. Some people swear by assigning trim to an axis (also known as Ďtrim on a sliderí), but I always found this to be too inexact because most of the controllers with extra axes donít give you the linearity and centering I want/need for trim.

Button trim has its own faults, but if you hit the ĎNeutralí trim keys (defaults are Shift+ the arrows or Shift+X or Z), you know exactly where you are, and can start again from scratch.
Mostly itís just practice, and the recognition that each aircraft is different in its need for trim at a given speed.

cheers

horseback

Tully__
03-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Old but still valid, read this post:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...291047842#2291047842 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=49310655&m=3481017842&r=2291047842#2291047842)

It covers all of the above plus the delay in response for both keyboard and slider trim.

M_Gunz
03-08-2009, 08:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wolf_288:
Hi
How to optimize the trim in aircrafts
where to find a guide about this???? IL-2 V4.08 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make sure to have keys mapped to neutralize trim no matter for key/button or rotary/slider. It is reset.

If you find yourself holding control off center, stick or pedals/twist; then adjust trim as you loosen up just fast enough to keep
the plane flying in the same path it was.

You want to keep your PC joystick near center, the sim models forces on the hand though much smaller and it does not use position
of the joystick except the force part. IRL you trim the heaviness out of the stick, even in dogfighting trim was written as done
routinely. You don't have to be exactly trimmed if you don't wobble the stick and you just may be trimmed perfectly for a very
slight rise or descent so fly that path for a while and you are trimmed perfect without being AI.

You can fly by using trim only (has been done IRL) but beware of response delay. And once IL2 trim is commanded, it must finish
so beware too many clicks or big slider move -- take your time and watch the nose. You can use elevator trim to bring yourself up
into a perfectly-trimmed climb even. The plane will find the slope. I wouldn't recommend trim-only anywhere near enemy planes.

Skoshi Tiger
03-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Also when your blacked out and the joystick is not responsive, you can use the elevator trim to get out the dive. Of course that would technically be cheating and none of us would actually contemplate doin it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif