PDA

View Full Version : Oleg interview may 2010

larschance
05-24-2010, 11:34 AM
In a new Uk aviation magazine there is a two page interview with Oleg maddox re SOW. Sorry cany recall name of mag but can get it if you need it.
Oleg does not confirm any aircraft lists and says such details are still to be finalised. It seems it will be year end before we see any result. SOW will be open ended for third parties to add on maps aircraft and ground units via special system add ons. Whether to be paid for I couldnt tell.
The first SOW theatres after BOB will be Korea then North Africa.

larschance
05-24-2010, 11:34 AM
In a new Uk aviation magazine there is a two page interview with Oleg maddox re SOW. Sorry cany recall name of mag but can get it if you need it.
Oleg does not confirm any aircraft lists and says such details are still to be finalised. It seems it will be year end before we see any result. SOW will be open ended for third parties to add on maps aircraft and ground units via special system add ons. Whether to be paid for I couldnt tell.
The first SOW theatres after BOB will be Korea then North Africa.

Treetop64
05-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Well, if time spent in development is directly proportional to the increased quality of the product being developed, then SoW should be a real doozie when it's released.

JtD
05-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Probably it's more about the quantity.

ytareh
05-24-2010, 01:16 PM
Yeah but its a real shame if it aint gonna be release for the BOB anniversaries (15Sept latest) or maybe even Christmas...both would seem to make financially v bad sense

Ba5tard5word
05-24-2010, 02:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The first SOW theatres after BOB will be Korea then North Africa. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would these be the add-ons or Oleg stuff?

Hmm, Korea? With jets and all? Africa would be good.

I'm probably going to mainly fly the Bf-109E until they get some later planes since I don't care for relying only on .30 cals with Spits and slow Hurris. Unless the .30 cals are more effective than in Il-2 though...hmm.

Metatron_123
05-24-2010, 05:26 PM
But Korea is massively interesting because lots of piston fighters were still around! Mustang, Twin Mustang, La-9, Il-10, A-26, Skyraider, Corsair, Pe-2,Grumman Tigercat,Sea Fury, Firefly, Yak-9... They were around throughout the war and the A-26 and Skyraider were used in Vietnam too...

Romanator21
05-24-2010, 05:29 PM
SoW Korea is already a WiP with F-82, A-1, MiG-15, Po-2, etc. Luthier stopped work on it and left the US to help finish SoW, since his version would be using the same engine anyway. Early N. Africa uses practically the same plane-set and ground hardware as BoB, so that will be the next step for Oleg.

Chivas
05-24-2010, 05:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The first SOW theatres after BOB will be Korea then North Africa. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would these be the add-ons or Oleg stuff?

Hmm, Korea? With jets and all? Africa would be good.

I'm probably going to mainly fly the Bf-109E until they get some later planes since I don't care for relying only on .30 cals with Spits and slow Hurris. Unless the .30 cals are more effective than in Il-2 though...hmm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Korea was being done by a third party [Luthier} with the SOW engine at the same time Oleg is developing BOB. Although work on the Korean sim has been delayed as Luthier's team is currently helping Oleg's team finish BOB.

Oleg's next sim in the SOW series is North Africa.

Ba5tard5word
05-24-2010, 05:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But Korea is massively interesting because lots of piston fighters were still around! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like I said, until they get later planes. Korea should be very fun and give us some planes we haven't had in Il-2. I hope we get a Tigercat!

ElAurens
05-24-2010, 08:42 PM
You don't really think we are going to see anything made by Grumman do you?

Treetop64
05-24-2010, 08:52 PM
I really hope we don't have to go through that again... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Choctaw111
05-25-2010, 05:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ElAurens:
You don't really think we are going to see anything made by Grumman do you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be nice, but this subject has already been thoroughly discussed.
I wonder how long Grumman will continue being so...uptight.

JG53Frankyboy
05-25-2010, 06:03 AM
i personally hope that Maddox will release a "Dieppe 42" pay-AdOn for his SoW:BoB before going further to Korea /MTO.

the same map as in BoB (as mapmaking take a long time with the shown details i guess !!) and with a lot of planes a lot of westernfront flyers are looking for , as examples:
Hurricane Mk.IIc
Spitfire Mk.Vb
Spitfire F.Mk.IXc
Typhoon Mk.Ib
Whirlwind Mk.I
Mustang Mk.I
Boston Mk.III
B-17E
Bf109G-1
Fw190A-3
Do217E

Feathered_IV
05-25-2010, 06:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Metatron_123:
But Korea is massively interesting because lots of piston fighters were still around! Mustang, Twin Mustang, La-9, Il-10, A-26, Skyraider, Corsair, Pe-2,Grumman Tigercat,Sea Fury, Firefly, Yak-9... They were around throughout the war and the A-26 and Skyraider were used in Vietnam too... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is going to be the big problem. It is a signature trait of RRG Studios to take on a massive project and add content willy-nilly, leaving critical pieces missing.

The Korean conflict is so much bigger than the Battle of Britain. I wonder if anyone has bothered to consider how much work is going to be involved in reproducing just a tiny corner of it convincingly? Mark my words. If anyone thought Pacific Fighters had holes in it, just wait until you see them try to reproduce the entirety of the Korean war in one addon.

If they concentrate on the first part of the Desert conflict instead, they might have a fighting chance of finishing something in reasonable time for a change, and adding to their bank balance while they still can. They can use almost all of their current aircraft models with small modifications (these tropicalised allied types would also be the backbone of an Early PTO expansion too).

RRG's Project Galba will either go unfinished, or it will be a disaster. And I really hope they don't drag Oleg down with them.

Metatron_123
05-25-2010, 07:53 AM
Why so negative? If I can get to fly graphically impressive aircraft, with good ai over a nice landscape, that may not be a definitive product, but it's a solid foundation. Especially if there is potential for customization and expansion.

Feathered_IV
05-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Sorry Metatron, no dig at your good self intended. More just that I'm concerned for their future if they go biting off more than they can chew. I wouldn't end well for us, or them I reckon.

Chivas
05-25-2010, 11:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG53Frankyboy:
i personally hope that Maddox will release a "Dieppe 42" pay-AdOn for his SoW:BoB before going further to Korea /MTO.

the same map as in BoB (as mapmaking take a long time with the shown details i guess !!) and with a lot of planes a lot of westernfront flyers are looking for , as examples:
Hurricane Mk.IIc
Spitfire Mk.Vb
Spitfire F.Mk.IXc
Typhoon Mk.Ib
Whirlwind Mk.I
Mustang Mk.I
Boston Mk.III
B-17E
Bf109G-1
Fw190A-3
Do217E </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Dieppe raid only lasted a relatively few hours or days and not worth the effort. The few mission required could easily be made in the FMB when further addons supply the needed aircraft. Although you could easily make some FMB Dieppe Missions with only the Spit, Hurricane, and 109. By the time the MTO theater is created you should have many more needed aircraft produced by the developer and third party enthusiasts.

JG53Frankyboy
05-25-2010, 11:50 AM
its about the planeset, without the need to make a new map.
instead of "Dieppe 42" you could call it "Channel 42".

IMHO a lot of people would like to have this planeset....................

MTO maps in SoW qualitiy needs also a lot of work............ and they have most propably to give the planeset also a small timeframe.

larschance
05-25-2010, 11:58 AM
BTW the two page interview I noted above is in Combat Aircraft magazine June 2010 issue.
I too hope they concentrate on existing WW2 theatres with extra aircraft of the period rather than branch out to a different war. While such aircraft as the Tigercat are appealing they played comparatively little role in either war.

na85
05-25-2010, 12:08 PM
I think if I was going to develop a flight sim, I would do a bunch of research on release dates and appearance dates at the front lines, and tailor the release of addons and additional aircraft to match that schedule.

So for a while the spitfires are enjoying good success against the Bf 109s, but then the next patch contains flyable Fw 190s and the tables have turned!

Feathered_IV
05-26-2010, 04:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by na85:
I think if I was going to develop a flight sim, I would do a bunch of research on release dates and appearance dates at the front lines, and tailor the release of addons and additional aircraft to match that schedule.

So for a while the spitfires are enjoying good success against the Bf 109s, but then the next patch contains flyable Fw 190s and the tables have turned! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Voice of wisdom. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

TinyTim
05-26-2010, 09:11 AM
The last update on RRG site was nearly 3 years ago, is that thing still alive?!

Urufu_Shinjiro
05-26-2010, 03:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TinyTim:
The last update on RRG site was nearly 3 years ago, is that thing still alive?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, Luthier and team have packed up and moved into Olegs studio to help finish SoW:BoB, after they they still plan on doing Project Galba.

VW-IceFire
05-26-2010, 07:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ElAurens:
You don't really think we are going to see anything made by Grumman do you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
As far as I know it is a possibility...

The legal issues were around the Pacific Fighters product and that was with Ubisoft. SOW as far as I know will be published by 1C only... Things will likely be different.

AndyJWest
05-26-2010, 07:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:

The legal issues were around the Pacific Fighters product and that was with Ubisoft. SOW as far as I know will be published by 1C only... Things will likely be different. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I wish that was true, but from what I've heard, Ubi dumped the problem on 1C:Maddox.

One thing to remember though is that the SoW series will be much more open to third parties, so perhaps they can make Grumman a/c even if Oleg can't. Time will tell...

wheelsup_cavu
05-26-2010, 07:44 PM
I don't see Northrop/Grumman dropping their trademark complaints and allowing anyone to use their name freely for anything. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Wheels

WTE_Galway
05-26-2010, 08:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyJWest:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:

The legal issues were around the Pacific Fighters product and that was with Ubisoft. SOW as far as I know will be published by 1C only... Things will likely be different. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I wish that was true, but from what I've heard, Ubi dumped the problem on 1C:Maddox.

One thing to remember though is that the SoW series will be much more open to third parties, so perhaps they can make Grumman a/c even if Oleg can't. Time will tell... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Be aware this thread will be locked shortly :P

This is not a topic the mods tolerate being discussed, presumably it hasn't been noticed yet.

It wasn't really LEGAL issues per se as Grumman legally did not have a legitimate complaint ... just before PF was due for international release some smart lawyers threatened to hold up the US release of Pacific Fighters for 6-12 months with a long court case unless UBI agreed to an exorbitant settlement for licensing.

Even though UBI would probably win, the delay in US release while it was fought out in court would be disastrous for UBI US profits on the game, so UBI happily agreed and passed the bill on to Oleg. Oleg did not find out until afterward.

Part of the agreement was the settlement is NEVER to be ever discussed. As i said expect the thread to be locked shortly.

Feathered_IV
05-27-2010, 04:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wheelsup_cavu:
I don't see Northrop/Grumman dropping their trademark complaints and allowing anyone to use their name freely for anything. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Wheels </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are happy to do so, as long as you give them a truckload of cash. They are busy doing the same thing with plastic kit makers as they did to 1c, and raking it in. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

DD_crash
05-27-2010, 08:42 AM
I see on a kit box "corsair is a registered trademark of Northrop Grumman Corporation and is under license to 21st century toys inc" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

WTE_Galway
05-27-2010, 09:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Feathered_IV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wheelsup_cavu:

Wheels </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are happy to do so, as long as you give them a truckload of cash. They are busy doing the same thing with plastic kit makers as they did to 1c, and raking it in. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL ... well they probably need the cash to settle their own outgoing legal fees and compensation from various scandels, stuffups and general corporate shenanigans ...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

http://www.crocodyl.org/wiki/northrop_grumman

The first major scandals in Northrop Grumman’s history came in the early 1970s, when the company, then known as Northrop Corp., was embroiled in controversies over illegal campaign contributions to Richard Nixon’s reelection campaign by company chairman Thomas Jones as well as some $30 million in bribes paid to foreign governments to win orders for fighter jets. A few years later, there were revelations that the company regularly entertained Pentagon officials and members of Congress at a hunting lodge on the eastern shore of Maryland. During the 1980s, Northrop was the subject of numerous investigations relating to alleged mismanagement during its work on the MX Missile and the B-2 Stealth bomber.

In 1989, Northrop was indicted on criminal charges of falsifying test results on cruise missiles for the Air Force and Harrier jets for the Marine Corps. Just as the trial in the case was about to begin in 1990, the company agreed to plead guilty to 34 fraud charges and pay a fine of $17 million. Under the plea agreement, federal prosecutors agreed to end the investigations relating to the MX and the B-2. However, the company agreed in 1992 to pay $4.2 million to settle a whistleblower lawsuit—brought without the involvement of the Justice Department—alleging that the company padded its invoices on MX missile guidance system work.

Grumman Corp., acquired by Northrop in 1994, brought with it a history of controversies on issues such as cost overruns in the production of F-14 Tomcat fighters for the Navy, production of defective municipal buses by its Flxible division (sold in 1983) and a bribery scandal involving Iran and Japan.

In 2000 Northrop Grumman paid $1.4 million to settle a whistleblower case alleging that the company overcharged the Air Force for B-2 bomber instruction and repair manuals. In a case inherited through the acquisition of TRW, Northrop Grumman agreed in 2003 to pay $111 million to settle claims that TRW overcharged the Pentagon for work on several space electronics programs in the early 1990s. Also in 2003, Northrop Grumman agreed to pay a total of $80 million to settle two False Claims Act cases, one involving work by Newport News Shipbuilding before Northrop acquired it in 2001 and the other involving the delivery of allegedly defective aerial target drones.

In 2004, Northrop settled for $1.8 million the remaining individual whistleblower case from the late 1980s involving cruise missiles. The following year it paid $62 million to settle the remaining claims relating to overcharging on the B-2 bomber program.

The false claims allegations continue. In March 2008 a whistleblower brought a lawsuit charging that Northrop Grumman’s Melbourne division with hundreds of millions of dollars of overcharges relating to the Joint STARS radar aircraft program.

Not all of Northrop’s performance problems have been related to overcharging. Soon after the U.S. invasion of Iraq, the company’s Vinnell Corp. subsidiary (acquired as part of the purchase of TRW in 2002) was awarded a $48 million contract “to train the nucleus of a new Iraqi army.” It botched the job so badly that the Jordanian Army had to be brought in to take over. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>