PDA

View Full Version : Question about 190 engine

Noxx0s
12-02-2010, 06:45 AM
In the antons at least, I find I can switch to manual prop pitch 100% and run fine (as long as I'm not in a steep dive). The RPM seems to be almost exactly the same as when I have boost on and auto prop pitch.

I always fly antons with the radiator full open all the time as the speed loss seems to be tiny and it's worth it to get prolonged use of boost. (unless I'm running for my life of course)

1. My question is:

Since the RPMs are basically identical, does running 100% manual prop pitch and auto pitch with boost (both at 110% power) tax the engine equally in terms of how quickly it will overheat?

Thanks.

2. Also... just a sidenote... Any recommendations on using manual prop pitch on 109s? It seems as soon as I do I kill my engine virtually instantly... should I just stick to auto for them?

Noxx0s
12-02-2010, 06:45 AM
In the antons at least, I find I can switch to manual prop pitch 100% and run fine (as long as I'm not in a steep dive). The RPM seems to be almost exactly the same as when I have boost on and auto prop pitch.

I always fly antons with the radiator full open all the time as the speed loss seems to be tiny and it's worth it to get prolonged use of boost. (unless I'm running for my life of course)

1. My question is:

Since the RPMs are basically identical, does running 100% manual prop pitch and auto pitch with boost (both at 110% power) tax the engine equally in terms of how quickly it will overheat?

Thanks.

2. Also... just a sidenote... Any recommendations on using manual prop pitch on 109s? It seems as soon as I do I kill my engine virtually instantly... should I just stick to auto for them?

JG53Frankyboy
12-02-2010, 07:56 AM
the BMW driven Fw190s in game are acting like planes with an ConstantSpeedPropeller.The prop pitch is controlling the engine revolutions - so 100% pitch here means you allow the egnine to run at max rpm if enough throttle/power is available.
in combat you shoud fly always with 100%.
to lower your pitch is actually only necesarry if you want realy fly slow (that your comrades or the AI can close formation or you want safe fuel) , than you have to reduce the pitch like the throttle. same % rate or pitch 10% more than the throttle % is a good solution.

also using full throttle and useing only 90-95% pitch can reduce the overheat chance - usefull in some planes like the Tempest or the Corsair and Hellcat. that doesnt harm your speed/climb much, if at all !

very few planes in game are overrev in a power dive (full power, 100% pitch) - IIRC that are the Cr.42, G.50, Mc.200, Fw190A/F in manual mode, Fw190D/Ta152H in manual mode, the Brewsters(not sure about that , may have changed in a patch)

Fw190&Bf109 in auto mode:
have a one lever system, if you control the throttle, the pitch is automaticly also controled

Bf109, Bf110,Do335,Ta152C in manual mode:
thats totaly different, here you control the propeller blade angle direclty ! no automatic will keep the rpm in a "good" condition. it brings you almost no benefit to use this manual settings anymore (there was a time/gameversion). so, dont bother it IMHO !

danjama
12-02-2010, 08:12 AM
As you said, switching to manual propeller pitch on a Bf109, especially late war variants, will fry the engine very quickly. However, if you switch to manual and instantly decrease the pitch to 34/40/45%, you will save the engine. There are no performance advantages to doing this AFAIK, but the sound pitch of the engine raises, and it sounds wonderful. Be careful when diving also, change to auto again or lower right the way down to 10%.

M_Gunz
12-02-2010, 10:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danjama:
As you said, switching to manual propeller pitch on a Bf109, especially late war variants, will fry the engine very quickly. However, if you switch to manual and instantly decrease the pitch to 34/40/45%, you will save the engine. There are no performance advantages to doing this AFAIK, but the sound pitch of the engine raises, and it sounds wonderful. Be careful when diving also, change to auto again or lower right the way down to 10%. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bf109 in manual prop is entirely different from FW 190 maual prop. 109 manual is direct pitch control and must be coarsened with increased speed at constant power or the engine will over-rev. Just from takeoff at 100% (near flat) to before getting the gear up I've lunched engines by forgetting to crank the pitch back.

IcyScythe, running the engines, any of them, at full revs will always heat them up faster/more. Cutting back revs to 90% will help cool them down, even 95%. Once you're moving at high cruise it's good to wind back and build up a thermal margin for when you need it.

Noxx0s
12-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Sorry but you guys didn't really answer my question hehe. I'm well aware that I should use 100% all the time except diving in a 190.

What I'm asking is, is the engine taxed (i.e. how quickly it overheats) more when you're on manual pitch at 100% at 110% throttle or when you're on auto pitch at 110% throttle with boost... because the RPMs are pretty much identical.

Xiolablu3
12-20-2010, 02:42 PM
I remember a German pilot talking at length about the first experimental automatic prop pitch system on his Bf109E, and how it was awful. He was caught by Spitfires and shot down IIRC. He could not keep up with his squad mates who had the usual manual pitch props.

I cant seem to find it now, but its definitely posted in many places on the net. Very interesting read.

Obviously this was a very early version and it was far perfected on the Bf109F

Wildnoob
12-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Danjama, I gonna say there's an exception in the 109 manual pp at least, which is in case of damage to the engine. It can really save your butt. It was not with a 109, was with a Ta 152, but it's perfectly applicable as well, that a few days ago my engine was damaged by overheating, and I managed to fly for almost one hour with 10& of pp and 35 of power and rtb.

M_Gunz
12-20-2010, 04:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IcyScythe:
I'm well aware that I should use 100% all the time except diving in a 190. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In short gamer-play mode where power is always at least 100%.... maybe. Have fun in long dives.

Xio; AFAIK the automatics were never better than anyone could do through manual control in all situations. Automatics cannot anticipate future moves or read the pilots' brain about what is going on. However when it comes to putting a less practiced at that particular system pilot behind the stick, the automatic is much better.
Have you ever practiced driving a stick-shift car on twisty-turny roads and later tried the same with an automatic? Guess whose foot is on the brake far more and never gets the turn speeds just right?

Noxx0s
12-20-2010, 05:59 PM
Forget about the 109 I'm asking about the 190... is running at 110% throttle + 100% manual prop pitch more or less taxing on the engine than running on auto with boost? (obviously 100% manual + boost = engine fried very quickly)

JtD
12-21-2010, 02:00 AM
The A-4 has significantly more power with 100% manual pitch, so does the F-8. With the others the difference in marginal, and so is the strain on the engine, meaning it reaches overheat marginally faster if faster at all.

Overheating currently has a fixed time limit, and it does not matter what you do with the engine before the overheating time limit is reached, unless you overrev the engine, which does not happen even at 100% manual pitch.

So the clear answer to your question is: It depends.

I fly the A-4 and F-8 at manual 100% if I need the power, I fly the others at auto.

ROXunreal
12-21-2010, 08:44 AM
It pays closing the rads when zoom climbing btw, the difference is noticeable.