PDA

View Full Version : Freeware add-on's even after the deadline?

joberrick
03-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Would it be possible if we could somehow work out something with 1C to have a way that designers not affilliated with the upcoming BoB such as the ones on netwings could continue adding planes and vehicles like in the Cfs series. THis way we can continue to help il2 and Pf grow and not rob the free time designers of their work and forsome hobby. THis way we can continue adding new planes and etc... without interupting BoB dev. All it could take are a few emails stating this thought.

SaQSoN
03-01-2005, 03:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Would it be possible... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It would not. Period. Why rising it again?

lkemling
03-01-2005, 04:33 PM
Yeh'...... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gifdon't go there!

DuxCorvan
03-01-2005, 06:00 PM
Oh no, the open-sourcerers attack again! Help, Harry Potter! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

EnGaurde
03-01-2005, 06:20 PM
on the surface it would seem like a good idea.

the sad reality is all manner of wannabe developers would flood the process with submissions.

some would be worthy, most would not be.

the quality assurance controls would have to be brutal, and i doubt 1C Maddox is going to devote the time into a concluded development line for a product when they could be making money on a new one.

and why the heell not?

by closing the dev field and adding patches with new aircraft i believe we will see new content for years, after all, i doubt 1C MAddoxs management will tell us all their plans eh? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

VW-IceFire
03-01-2005, 11:04 PM
I very much doubt that this upcoming addon is the very last hurrah for Pacific Fighters.

There may be more after....not much but a little bit.

Bolt40
03-02-2005, 07:47 AM
Lets hope they do the right thing & at least finish PF before they leave us hanging . http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

DRB_Hookech0
03-02-2005, 01:28 PM
You mean like this?

http://www.x1software.com/

but I'm not holding my breath for much....they have our cash...we keep being asked to shut up and take it....oh well.

Trink_Afri-Cola
03-02-2005, 04:09 PM
Yeah but how about opensourcing it once they've moved on to the new engine or whatever you call it from B0b. Eventually they should release it. There comes a point where they probably should let go of the balloon.

EnGaurde
03-02-2005, 04:49 PM
hmmmm

if they let that balloon go, then the quality of their product would certainly suffer in the long term. One of the identifying factors of il2 is that high quality, despite the inevitable chicken littles / rubbishers / nay-sayers.

i just dont understand why ppl think that all games are automatically improved by the open-source \ community input idea. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

as ive said before, unless the content is specifically designed within the game to be added quickly and easily, then it ends up being a frankenstein result: bolts, stitching, that tacked together look and all.

unless its rigidly screened and implemented in a timely manner, the brandname of the il2 would eventually be known as a diluted product *****d out to third parties. Remember the keening and widespread over the shoulder back-flogging that ensued when pacific fighters did not deliver what was put on the box (for whatever reason) ?

now you want to risk the little things that make il2 great on nobodies from nowhere???

art thou mad? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

this would become the "... il2 was worth playing once, until everyone could make content for it" board. B!tch!ng betties would rub their little claw like hands together in absolute glee before getting down to business http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

vote No! on proposition *****Il2Out.

Eraser_tr
03-02-2005, 09:18 PM
3rd part stuff would drag the quality down?

http://www.medairwar.com/progress/fw190a4_04.jpg

http://www.medairwar.com/progress/HouseTest13.jpg

And these are old pictures.

MeJoe
03-02-2005, 11:18 PM
Heaven forbid the "nobodies from nowhere" do to IL2 what they did to Falcon 4.
===========================================
EnGaurde
"vote No! on proposition *****Il2Out."

RamsteinUSA
03-03-2005, 08:09 AM
You mean save it, and keep it 'the best Jet sim' running for 6 years?

Falcon 4 is still the best due to the 3rd party developers, that keeps it the most succesful most immersive and realistic Fighter Jet sim ever. No other Fighter Sim has kept that title for so long.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MeJoe:
EnGaurde
"vote No! on proposition *****Il2Out." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

aminx
03-03-2005, 09:47 AM
This is what we need the third party sources to develop immediately

Airrcraft flyable:
Jill
Devastator
Catalina with reckon feature
Betty
Nell
Claude
KI 27
George

Cockpits:
Avenger
Kate
B24

Maps:
The whole Pacific ocean from India to china down to Australia in one map.

Ships:
All missing Japanese and US battleships, cruisers,Carriers etc which took part in major operations during the conflict.

And this can be only done given the circumstances by allowing open architecture with the help of numerous talented young men ready to sacrifice their time for the benefit of everyone,so will those
with a thick head try and understand that.I am sure something can be done to protect online play.

MeJoe
03-03-2005, 03:09 PM
If I may apologize for my sorry attempt at sarcasm yours is exactly the point.

During those 6 years you cite a LOT of what EnGaurde might consider "frankenstein" was produced but even these first stumbling attempts were valuable in that it was through these that the techniques were developed to produce the increadable mods and add-ons we have today.

We also have the example of "Red Baron 3D" and Promised Land's "Full Canvas Jacket". A mod that, like Falcon 4 mods, was the result of much effort by many and was proceeded by its share of "frankenstein".

And let us not forget that the RB3D/FCJ marrage was made possible by still other dedicated "nobodies from nowhere" who developed the Glide Wrappers.

Who here, including EnGaurde, would mind seeing IL2-AEP-FP meet a similar fate?

If this means "Whoring Il2 Out" then I, for one, will be a regular customer at the bordello.

=======================================
RamsteinUSA posted Thu March 03 2005 07:09
You mean save it, and keep it 'the best Jet sim' running for 6 years?

Falcon 4 is still the best due to the 3rd party developers, that keeps it the most succesful most immersive and realistic Fighter Jet sim ever. No other Fighter Sim has kept that title for so long.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by MeJoe:
EnGaurde
"vote No! on proposition *****Il2Out."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eraser_tr
03-03-2005, 03:12 PM
I read that oleg will hand off il2\pf development to a trusted 3rd party to continue support. Hopefully they won't face the same restrictions to what content would be added(ie northrop) and we can enjoy the planes we ask for and can't get.

DRB_Hookech0
03-03-2005, 03:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eraser_tr:
I read that oleg will hand off il2\pf development to a trusted 3rd party to continue support. Hopefully they won't face the same restrictions to what content would be added(ie northrop) and we can enjoy the planes we ask for and can't get. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hopefully they have someone who has actually read a history book and has some semblence of a clue about the PTO.

EnGaurde
03-03-2005, 04:14 PM
if they do at least the same job 1cmaddox did to create the brand name, then ill be buying my add ons for sure.

if they feck it up and dilute the experience?

what good will quoting falcon 4 improvements do then?

im not against add ons. I think Forgotten Hope was the very best third party mod made for Bf1942, and i still play it.

perhaps im just bitter and jaded about entrusting such a relatively niche market as flight sims to anyone ubt those that made it great.

all'y'all are betting that it will be a good thing.

im waiting to see if it is, and trying not to remember the times where it was most certainly not.

i actually hope you third party fanboys are right. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

DRB_Hookech0
03-03-2005, 05:39 PM
gee it cant be any worse than the "Pacific Fighters Expansion" as everyone keeps calling it.

As a Standalone product, which BTW is how it was marketed by both Ubi and 1C, it is an outstanding disaster.

EnGaurde
03-03-2005, 05:45 PM
drb_hook

sheesh, lighten up eh? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

with each of your posts i expect to hear the sound of a muzzle being pushed against the roof of the mouth, then the clicking sound of a hammer being pulled back...

mebbe i dont take this that seriously, thats why it doesnt bother me too much.

meh.

walsh2509
03-03-2005, 06:08 PM
Never mind Add-Ons, I am now not holding any real hope of seeing PF compelted! As in the patch that we were promised and have been waiting for since the release of PF! Two Weeks that will stick in the mind a long time!

With most, if not all the IC dev's now working on BOB and a few left to finish "this" patch I can't see them being able to get it out for a month or 2 yet!

One of the latest "updates" said that they hoped for a Mid-March release, this ! reading-on had a proviso ! It wouldn't be release until bug free!

In the weeks after the release the 1C "Team" were working on this patch and that's when we got the 1st 2 weeks quote! Some 5 to 6 weeks later still no Patch!

Now if a the 1C Team couldn't get a patch out 6 weeks and counting after release! What chance have the few that were left to plod on with the patch, of getting it out MID-MARCH BUG FREE .... NONE!

When they told us in the new year that most of the team was being switched to the BOB project and a few were left to continue with the patch, that for me was it!

PF's was released 22/10/2004, that's it coming up for 17 weeks since the release and still no Patch, and as they have stated , only a few have been left to work on it!

There is no way it will hit Mid-March!

The quote ..

""Only the limit of time frame that we have ask us to completely finish these (and some other planes) till mid of the next month (march) and only in prefect conditions (100% without bugs).""

And only IF ! IF the 1C Dev's team that made PF's could not get a patch out 8 to 10 weeks after release, what price "the few" that's left !

MAY JUNE > > > > ? ? ? ?

aminx
03-03-2005, 10:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DRB_Hookech0:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eraser_tr:
I read that oleg will hand off il2\pf development to a trusted 3rd party to continue support. Hopefully they won't face the same restrictions to what content would be added(ie northrop) and we can enjoy the planes we ask for and can't get. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hopefully they have someone who has actually read a history book and has some semblence of a clue about the PTO. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

None have,i can assure you.as a matter of fact my above post is a resume of what is needed to enable us to put together all the important battles and operations during that period.Without them this sim is nothing.

DRB_Hookech0
03-04-2005, 09:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EnGaurde:
drb_hook

sheesh, lighten up eh? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

with each of your posts i expect to hear the sound of a muzzle being pushed against the roof of the mouth, then the clicking sound of a hammer being pulled back... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough. I just get tired of the "just merge the install and be all happy....." replies. Fact is i have both, but 90% of the guys i fly with on a weekly basis only have PF as a standalone. I am one of the weekly mission builders for our squad so being as I'm in the FMB a lot building missions and campaigns for our weekly COOPs, I get really frustrated with how badly this game is hambstrung due to missing content.

I have always maintained, that the need for this or that flyable is not the critical need for PF as a standalone. 90% of the planes people are screaming for to be flyable are already there as AI. I use them extensivly in my COOPs., I just dont need to fly them. I have also said that the addition of a few USN and IJN capital ships would greatly expand the "immersion" that the entire IL2 series is built on. We dont need every single ship type, just a few additional classes like 1 early and 1 late USN BB, a Yorktown class CV, 1 early and 1 late IJN BB and CA and maybe a late fast heavy IJN CA. A generic seaplane tender would also be a nice addition.

What we (we being defined as PF Standalone mission designers) deperately need are maps covering the major operations areas for the 23 months (Sept 42 to June 44) between the major carrier battles of Santa Cruz and the Phillipean Sea. Yes, in that time between, there were carriers used to support operations in the SWPAC and in the NG area. But we really cant even recreate those because once again there are no maps.

I'm sure I am not alone in the desire to recreate some of the exploits of Boyington's Blacksheep or VF-17s 76 days of combat or any of the other fine units that ground the Japanese to dust during that period, a dust pile from which they never recovered.

I just can see the potential that PF could become but am resigned to the fact that it will never achieve, due to enept prelaunch planning for whatever the reason. A SDK for maps/terrain would solve this for us, but I cant see that taking place.

So yes, I grumble, moan, get pissed at times at the situation we find ourselves. Having to rely on 3rd party Russian expansions that may or may not ever be availible in the US is not something I think we should be happy with. 1C and Ubi screwed the pooch on this one and the ramifications to their "street cred" will be on the minds of many for their next projects. Sorry but thats how I see it.

aminx
03-04-2005, 02:26 PM
here here,but why should they move their hind muscles ?You dictate when you have no competition,this is human nature.