PDA

View Full Version : Net wind over the deck?

initjust
11-04-2004, 03:50 PM
Does anyone know what the speed of the moving carrier in the take-off/landing missions is?

It would seem that it is only around 15kts.

Is that correct?

If it is then I would also have to conclude that there is, indeed, no wind over the deck except for that generated by the movement of the carrier.

Jester_159th
11-04-2004, 05:07 PM
When you're stationary on the deck the speed indicated in the speedbar is effectively the speed the carrier is moving at.

initjust
11-04-2004, 06:59 PM
Yes, I know.

That is how I came up with the number I did.

While parked on the deck, due to the angle of the aircraft, the pitot tube can't possibly register the full velovity of the wind generated by the moving carrier so I bumped the 20Kmph to 25 and worked it back to Kts.

It is still a bit odd that we can't have speed shown in the correct units of measure but since Oleg is a metric kind of guy it doesn't surprise me.

However, the fact remains that there is no actual wind in PF other than what the movement of the carrier generates.

Reaves_42
11-04-2004, 07:07 PM
Stubborn Yanks and your inferrior imperial system http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

rodion_zero
11-04-2004, 07:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by initjust:
Yes, I know.

That is how I came up with the number I did.

While parked on the deck, due to the angle of the aircraft, the pitot tube can't possibly register the full velovity of the wind generated by the moving carrier so I bumped the 20Kmph to 25 and worked it back to Kts.

It is still a bit odd that we can't have speed shown in the correct units of measure but since Oleg is a metric kind of guy it doesn't surprise me.

However, the fact remains that there is no actual wind in PF other than what the movement of the carrier generates. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Download this:

http://www.msuiit.edu.ph/astrosoc/temp/rod_stormy_pak.zip

That zip contains an FMB mission that is set in STORMY weather. You will also notice that right after the mission loads, I made the carrier steer into the wind, to help in t/o and landing. Try to check how much windspeed is added to the speed of the moving carrier.

-RODION

IV_JG51_Razor
11-04-2004, 07:59 PM
Do you mean that the cross wind that's always present in stormy conditions will not STAY a cross wind after the CV changes course?!! That's interesting. I don't understand why Oleg couldn't have just applied that same "wind" to the static CVs in the DF missions - only put it right down the flight deck!?

initjust
11-04-2004, 08:07 PM
How do you know the direction of the wind with "stormy" conditions? There is no way to set it in FMB.

Which way did you turn the carrier to set her into the wind? I'm still not convinced that there is any real wind in PF.

There does appear to be turbulence but that is not the same as wind. If there is a way to set wind I would appreciate knowing how you control it.

If it is a "fixed" wind where do you go to find out it's direction?

I made a simple mission with "thunder" conditions and it appeared that the turbulence disappeared as soon as I dropped below 100m or so.

rodion_zero
11-04-2004, 10:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by initjust:
How do you know the direction of the wind with "stormy" conditions? There is no way to set it in FMB.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because after a zillion STORM tries in FMB (hehehe) I found out the wind always comes in at 40-50 degrees off the port bow...ALWAYS...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
Which way did you turn the carrier to set her into the wind? I'm still not convinced that there is any real wind in PF.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Naturally, I turned the carrier 40-50 to port http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

There does appear to be turbulence but that is not the same as wind. If there is a way to set wind I would appreciate knowing how you control it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

None that I know of.

If it is a "fixed" wind where do you go to find out it's direction? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again, there are so many things you'll learn if you do something a zillion times LOL

Just download the mission file, load it in FMB and do you own experiments. Bottom line is, wind will always come from 40-50 off the port bow after the carrier spawns, so just turn it "into the wind"...nuff said.

-RODION

LEXX_Luthor
11-04-2004, 10:10 PM
Ya, noticed it too in olde FB. Sit on open flat ground in MiG~3 during storm, depending on which direction you face, and the speedbar says 10km/hr , 0km/hr , or -10km/hr when you face away from the wind.

rodion_zero
11-04-2004, 10:18 PM
Ok I guess I exaggerated. In my storm tests I usually made the carrier head 90 degrees, due east. When I did this, wind always came in from bearing of 45 degrees (northeast), and thus I made that mission above wherein the carrier immediately turns to a heading of about 45 degrees after the mission starts. I never tried making the carrier head into other bearings yet.

-RODION

Hans_Philipp
11-05-2004, 12:12 AM
Ahhhhh....<sighs>

If only we could have SOME control over the weather other than preset settings. Dynamic and customizable weather such as the KSFS series would add a whole new dimension to the IL2 world...

ELEM
11-05-2004, 01:29 AM
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you'll find metric IS a correct unit of measure. It's a metric kind of world (except America). If you want the obsolete imperial system, define a key in Controls to Toggle Speed Bar, and this toggles through the systems.

ckur
11-05-2004, 03:16 AM

However, the fact remains that there is no actual wind in PF other than what the movement of the carrier generates. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can and have to change the speed and altitude display if you want to have knots and feet. There is a button for it (was it ALT+A by defalult?).

In real life 25 knot wind over the deck was concidered a requirment for safe carrier operations. The carrier was directed so that the bow was some 20 deg to right from the eye of the wind to have a "clean" wind flow over the deck, undisturbed by the island.

initjust
11-05-2004, 03:14 PM
"I think you'll find metric IS a correct unit of measure. It's a metric kind of world (except America). If you want the obsolete imperial system, define a key in Controls to Toggle Speed Bar, and this toggles through the systems."

Well, now that you have filled your need to assert your superiority perhaps you would be so kind as to show me a Grumman AC built in the US for the US Navy that used the superior metric system to display speed and altitude information?

I'll not thank you for your counterproductive comment since you more than likely couldn't help yourself but I will sincerely thank you for the productive information you have provided.

effte
11-05-2004, 04:29 PM
you would be so kind as to show me a Grumman AC built in the US for the US Navy that used the superior metric system to display speed and altitude information?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, they used inferior units of measure. But why do you feel you have to rub it in? The mistake is 60 years old! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hans_Philipp
11-05-2004, 05:58 PM
Guys-its silly making the measuring systems into a pissing contest. It's generally accepted that the imperial system is nonsensical and inferior to the metric, but since it is the standard in aviation, we have to use it.

Mjollnir111675
11-05-2004, 09:10 PM
Ya know metric or imperial who really gives a ***k?
Just let me assign a wind value in mp and ill be cool!!!PERIOD!!!Yall can ***** bout avionics,flight control, the numbers of rivets in a certain aircrafts wing and all the other bs!!Just give me assignable wind value fer D.F.!!!
Darwin ****ed how hard can that really be?!?!?!?
Honestly?

Mjollnir

no cumulo nimbus/stratus clouds but look at that perfect water that noone can see if they dont work at norad or nvidia!!!!

effte
11-06-2004, 03:52 AM
The number of rivets? Not that crucial, really, as long as they get it within 3%. Round or flat head rivets OTOH, no error can be accepted there!