PDA

View Full Version : Say It Aint Soooooooo!

Fish40
03-17-2005, 04:32 PM
Please tell me SHIII comes in a CDROM version. I don't have a DVDROM, and the copies that I've seen are all for DVDROM. If I'm forced to install a DVDROM, a couple of questions need to be answered. First, would I still be able to play the rest ofmy games, which are all for CDROM? A stupid question mabey, but you never know. Secondly, would I have any conflicts playing PF with a DVDROM? I've read posts where people had problems using DVD drives. I'm not sure if it was DVDROMS, or the RW. I really want this game, and I'll do whatever it takes. Thanks in advance!

ColoradoBBQ
03-17-2005, 04:38 PM
Its in DVD format for now but they may release a CD-ROM version later.

The DVD ROMs are able to play CDs and run games off CDs. You would not have any problems playing PF on it except for a small chance if it is a CD or DVD writer.

Fish40
03-17-2005, 04:59 PM
Thanks. I think I need to come of age, and purchase the DVDROM. Any suggestions?

Weather_Man
03-17-2005, 05:53 PM
Doesn't make much difference which brand. I'm partial to Sony myself.

Neat thing is, you can watch movies on your PC with DVDrom drive. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VMF-214_HaVoK
03-17-2005, 06:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fish40:
Thanks. I think I need to come of age, and purchase the DVDROM. Any suggestions? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I picked one up at walmart for about 40 bucks. And that was a year ago. You dont need nothing fancy if you just want to play games.

diomedes33
03-17-2005, 06:07 PM
One thing that my bro and I learned the hard way.

He had a Dell and I bought him a DVD-ROM for Christmas so he could watch movies in at college. When he installed an Antec DVDROM, the computer would see it, but it wouldn't read DVD's. After about a week of trying ot make it work, we took it back to the store and bought a new Sony DVD-ROM. It had the same problem.

At my witts end, I called Dell Tech support. I have worked computer Tech support for a couple years while I was in college. These people at dell can't do anything but read from a script. A room full of monkeys would get more accomplished then these folks. They would run through the same scripted bs, and then at the end say that we will only help you if you have a Dell DVD-ROM.

I asked, "Why?" He then said the same exact sentence again and hung up. After six technicions of the same bs I asked for a manager and asked them point blank.

Is your hardware proprietary?

We suggest using dell hardware, use all others at your own risk.

A simple yes or no will do

We suggest using dell hardware.

Will any other manufacturers work?

Yes if they are endorsed by Dell.

Ok, how would I know?

Did you buy this DVD-ROM from a Dell Certified Store?

Is Fry's Electronics Certified?

no

Why didn't you just tell me yes to my first question.

We suggest using dell hardware. Do you have anymore questions sir?

This is about the time I wanted to scream into the phone and yell every obscenity that I could think of, plus a couple others that I made up. But I was grown up and said,

Thank you, goodbye.

We ended up paying $15 extra for the Dell DVD-ROM and everything works fine now. It makes sense now how they can sell computers so cheap, they get you with upgrades. I'm not angry about the business practice, but don't be covert about it, just tell me yes or no.

Moral to the story. If you have a Dell buy a Dell DVD-ROM.

heywooood
03-17-2005, 06:36 PM
De*ll blows...and I mean that in the worst possible way.

Not only that, but they are a big exporter of US jobs.

Do not buy from De*LL - they dont know what customer service is and they misrepresent their
products both in terms of upgradeability and quality. They use a proprietary motherboard system to control the types and brands of components you can use and to limit your flexibilty....its the wrong way to do business and they will eventually fall.

De*ll is Hell

WWSensei
03-17-2005, 06:57 PM
That's odd, I own a couple of Dells and had no trouble installing and using 3rd party hardware. In fact, just added a Pioneer DVD/CDRW I picked up at CompUSA along with a new sound card and 80 gig hard drive. This is in a 3 year old Dell system and it worked fine. I think the whole "Dell uses a propreitary mobo" is an urban myth. I have had 3 Dell systems and never had anytrouble using third party hardware at all.

as for their tech support I can't complain. When the motherboard went out last year they sent out a tech to my house and he had a new mobo installed in 20 minutes...

diomedes33
03-17-2005, 07:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by heywooood:

Do not buy from De*LL - they dont know what customer service is and they misrepresent their
products both in terms of upgradeability and quality. They use a proprietary motherboard system to control the types and brands of components you can use and to limit your flexibilty....its the wrong way to do business and they will eventually fall.

De*ll is Hell <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you 100%. But if you already have one of these, it would be much cheaper to buy the DVDROM than a whole new computer. Plus you would be minus a migrane.

LeadSpitter_
03-17-2005, 07:09 PM
you should really update to a dvd and dvdr drives, you can do so for 50-100 bucks.

Many new games are being put to dvd becuase one dvd holds 4.7 gig on one dvd disc.

The whole FB AEP PF series should have been put to 1-2 dvds to increase sales in all 3 products. Ubi execs are like the tinman from wizard of oz.

Large file size would also stop alot of the pirating simply by the huge filesize.

Fish40
03-17-2005, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. The bad news is, I do own a Dell. Haveing one is a real pain in the a$$, for all the reasons mentioned. Although, in the past, I too have upgraded hardware without purchaseing from them, and had no problems at all. Mabey I'll save myself some potential headaches, and just get it from Dell straight away.

Badsight.
03-17-2005, 07:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LeadSpitter_:
Large file size would also stop alot of the pirating simply by the huge filesize. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>that is a good point right there

JG52_Helgstrand
03-17-2005, 08:12 PM
I had A DELL (4550 Dimension) also which I added
a Lite-On CDR and DVD with no problems.

I finally upgraded the MOBO though to an Asus P4P800.
Kept the original 2.66 CPU and Ram.
Just had to buy a new case and PSU.
Cost about $150 including fans.
No More DELL...lol

Hrdina
03-17-2005, 08:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diomedes33:
Moral to the story. If you have a Dell buy a Dell DVD-ROM. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Moral to the story: don't buy a Dell computer. They've been playing this game with proprietary hardware for a long time. And there's a reason their machines are cheap.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LeadSpitter_:
The whole FB AEP PF series should have been put to 1-2 dvds to increase sales in all 3 products. Ubi execs are like the tinman from wizard of oz. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You mean the scarecrow? ...if I only had a brain...

Bearcat99
03-17-2005, 09:36 PM
Its 2005... get a DVD ROM. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

buglord
03-17-2005, 10:04 PM
Just do what i did m8 get a dvd rom & put it in & keep the cd rom as well so you have both ,some older games dont work with a dvd rom , just make sure you read the instructions on how to have two drives (you have to change "jumpers" on one of them) its easy enough.
http://server2.uploadit.org/files/mrbuglord-shotdown2.jpg
My Skins @ Flying-Legends (http://www.flying-legends.net/)

huggy87
03-17-2005, 10:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by heywooood:

De*ll is Hell <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, what do you recommend buying? No, seriously. I have had a dell problem free for almost 3 1/2 years now. I am not a big tech guy, I upgraded the video card once and I added RAM once. That is all the upgrading I have done and care to do. As an aside, do you think that voids the dell warranty? I'm seriously considering buying an alienware or a dell xps for my next machine.

VW-IceFire
03-17-2005, 10:38 PM
Best computers are the ones you build yourself.

For Laptops...it looks like IBM and Fujitsu are the top dogs right now.

Troll2k
03-17-2005, 11:00 PM
It seems there is already a patch out for Silent Hunter III.

Look here:

http://www.silent-hunteriii.com/uk/home.php

The interesting thing is they have a different patch depending on whether you have the dvd version or a downloadable version.That implies you can pay and download it.

Just something else to consider.

Spartan_GR
03-18-2005, 12:19 AM
i have 2 dvd's ... a Teac dvd writer (4x) and a Pioneer dvd-rom. Both of them are working fine. But i had a problem with a Philips dvd-rom that i had. It worked fine, until one day it stopped reading anything and only made funny noises http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I took it to the techinician and he told me that the motor of the drive had failed and he could do nothing more than to replace it with another drive ... so thats how i got the pioneer http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

flyingscampi
03-18-2005, 10:40 AM
Why would you expect Dell to help you put a non Dell part in their PC?

If you bought a BMW and wanted to put a Mercedes engine in it I don't think BMW would be willing to help!

If you build a PC yourself and some components don't work together who can you blame?

Dell make great PC's for people who never want to look inside them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

diomedes33
03-18-2005, 11:14 AM
I wasn't expecting them to help me, I wanted to know if it could be done. And I had to nearly break his arm to tell me.

At the same time your analogy doesn't quite hold up with computers because they are so modularized.

It should be like changing headlight bulbs, oil filters, air-filters, etc... You don't need a BMW bulb. Well...maybe for a BMW but for most other cars any OEM rated lightbulb will work.

Also for a BMW I would pay extra because their proprietary products are much better than the cheap ones you can by at auto stores. A D*LL is more along the lines of Chevy or Ford. Nothing flashy gets you there and back but only works half the time.

A run of the mill IDE drive should work in any computer with that architecture.

Fish6891
03-18-2005, 04:16 PM
Fish40.........WTF? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Fish40
03-18-2005, 05:51 PM
I'm gonna pick up a DVD drive Monday. The He** with Dell. I'll keep my fingers crossed, and hope all goes well.

wayno7777
03-18-2005, 11:58 PM
[/QUOTE]
I upgraded the video card once and I added RAM once. That is all the upgrading I have done and care to do. As an aside, do you think that voids the dell warranty? [/QUOTE]

If you opened the case, then I'm 98% sure you voided the warranty, the little piece of tape or sticker will be ripped and no more warranty. Be glad you have a Dell and not a Compaq. Won't say anymore....

flyingscampi
03-19-2005, 06:09 AM
@diomedes - I know what you mean, I work in IT and I've had quite a few blow ups with these call centre flowchart followers! I can imagine how your conversation went downhill when you said that you weren't using a Dell supplied component.

I had an HP once that had a processor that caused coloured 'dots' to appear on the display. I knew it was the CPU because when I moved it to another PC the dots moved with it. After several hours of being told that CPU's didn't affect the display (according to their flowchart) I just exploded and told them to get a ****** engineer out and I'll prove it. Which I did http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

You're right, my analogy was poor. I have a BMW and I would never fit a Mercedes part http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif