PDA

View Full Version : take off

thinman182
02-25-2006, 08:21 PM
Just bought the game and no matter what I can't figure out how to take off of the carrier. Auto pilot the engine dies before take off. Anyone give me step by step help????

thinman182
02-25-2006, 08:21 PM
Just bought the game and no matter what I can't figure out how to take off of the carrier. Auto pilot the engine dies before take off. Anyone give me step by step help????

elphifou
02-25-2006, 08:52 PM
You'll find some here :

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/9371042514

Good luck ! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

major_setback
02-25-2006, 09:12 PM
Go to the controls section and map a key to 'release chocks'.

Taking off from carriers is VERY hard, try a lot of practice on runways first.

If you must:

Full throttle, adjusting a bit for torque pulling the aircraft to one side though by easing of a bit.

If you head for the side of the carrier adjust the brakes and the throttle to keep you straight.

brakes used with the rudder give you differential braking (one wheel at a time - to keep you straight).

Use the rudder.

Use flaps.

Use a moving carrier, it's easier.

Use WEP, war emergency power....gives you a boost.

You will find it almost impossible to take of with bombs.

Zeus-cat
02-25-2006, 09:21 PM
You have to set a key for Chocks. Release chocks for takeoff.

J_Anonymous
02-25-2006, 09:25 PM
I think carrying the minimum amount of fuel (25%) makes your plane lighter and also helps.

Do you also know that by control + F1, you can choose a different forward view setting? (Took a while for me to realize...)

I would also suggest that you choose "easy-to-fly" planes for your initial practice. I happened to choose A6 Zero in my initial 1 week of flying, and in hindsight I was lucky. Some US fighter planes are known to be difficult to fly.

Good luck... We all went through the same hardship.... which eventually turns into addiction (you were warned!)

mortoma
02-25-2006, 10:23 PM
More good advice is to practice landings on a regular runway before you try carrier landings.
If you think taking off from a carrier is hard, well, landing is tougher to get right. Practice landing as close to the threshold of a regular land runway and going as slowly as you can a still control the plane. Do it with the carrier planes you plan to fly because they are the ones you will have to get good in at the slow speed handling.

ATLAS_DEATH
02-25-2006, 11:57 PM
I find 50% fuel plus bombs is easy enough if you use landing flaps instead of take off.. also have to be reeeaally smooth with the stick.. you will be a couple inches from the water.. also get the gear up as soon as they are a quarter inch off the deck.

general_kalle
02-26-2006, 05:07 AM
rise your gear as soon as ur airborne
specially when carrying bombs
start with the corsair its easy to fly and it gots a very strong engine http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Zeus-cat
02-26-2006, 06:16 AM
The SBD-3 and the D3A1 have low takeoff and landing speeds, try either of them.

heywooood
02-26-2006, 10:38 AM
your problem is 'wheel chocks' used on carriers to keep parked planes (along with tie downs) from rolling off the deck.

you must map a key to the 'wheel chocks'

go into your mission or QMB flight - after it starts press 'Esc' key then select 'controls' from the menu...scroll down to'wheel chocks' or 'chocks' or whatever and then click on the space to the right. Now press whichever key you want to use to release/set the wheel chocks.
You will also need to select one for 'manual landing gear up/down' incase you want to fly the Wildcat or I-16 or anyother 'manual gear' airplane in the game...also helps to have incase the auto gear fails on any other plane.

I use the 'arrow' keys for Wheel chocks (left arrow) for canopy open/close (right arrow) for tailhook (down arrow) and for wing fold (up arrow)...but thats just me.

After you have the controls the way you like them - click 'apply' then 'resume' or whatever and away you go - Important - you must do this for each pilot you create - it is not global.
Try to be consistent so that no matter which campaign/pilot you select - you have the same controls.

heywooood
02-26-2006, 10:45 AM
Now - to take off from the carrier - run the engine up full with the cowl open and the flaps set to 'combat' or 'take off' depending on the weight of the plane or the type - the heavier you are the more flaps you might need.

after you have full power - release the chocks by pressing the key you have assigned and then just keep the nose straight with minimal rudder adjustments - also - try to 'fly the tail' of the plane asap, but don't 'nose over' or faceplant. Once off the deck - raise the gear asap and tip the nose down slightly to pick up more speed - don't get wet...then raise flaps, and begin your climbout and carry on.

sarracenia
11-12-2006, 02:24 AM
I have a problem nosediving into the deck and steering straight, tend to overcompensate with the rudder. Managed to cure the nosedive by pulling back the stick slightly, don't know whether this is the correct method. There is a hell of a lot to do in those first few seconds, usually end up over the side. One day........

Hanglands
11-12-2006, 02:43 AM
In addition to what other people have said regarding take off from a carrier....

I set the fuel mix to 120% (if the a/c allows it), I only add flaps once the aircraft is moving, I close the radiator once the aircraft is moving.

Be careful to avoid the temptation of pulling back too much on the stick when you reach the end of the deck, thats a good way to lose your energy.

Regards.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m203/ChickenHawk_2006/logoHH.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/hanglands/)

Akronnick
11-12-2006, 02:52 AM
Keep practicing, it can be done.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

---Loose nut removed from cockpit, ship OK

WTE_Galway
11-13-2006, 03:29 PM
all of the above plus correct wing dips with rudder not stick