PDA

View Full Version : Requesting help and advice on flying the P-38 Late. Guidance please (serious ones!)

Mysticpuma2003
06-24-2006, 06:05 AM
Hi there fellow P-38 flyers.

Small background, I usually and have mainly flown the P-47 for most of my time online (when I fly allied!).

But last night I took the P-38 up for a spin on Warclouds, and was amazed by it's armament, turning and generally all round ability.

I have heard that using the X-52 the elevators can help to increase the turn ability.

So can anyone out there give me some tips and guidelines on getting the best out of the P-38 as I have fallen in love all over again!

I know I must set a button for my air brakes, as last night my control surfaces went dead in a steep dive, which I only just got out of with combat flaps (boy did that baby groan!)

So, nay advice on flying the P-38 are most welcome. Cheers, MP.

Mysticpuma2003
06-24-2006, 06:05 AM
Hi there fellow P-38 flyers.

Small background, I usually and have mainly flown the P-47 for most of my time online (when I fly allied!).

But last night I took the P-38 up for a spin on Warclouds, and was amazed by it's armament, turning and generally all round ability.

I have heard that using the X-52 the elevators can help to increase the turn ability.

So can anyone out there give me some tips and guidelines on getting the best out of the P-38 as I have fallen in love all over again!

I know I must set a button for my air brakes, as last night my control surfaces went dead in a steep dive, which I only just got out of with combat flaps (boy did that baby groan!)

So, nay advice on flying the P-38 are most welcome. Cheers, MP.

RCAF_Irish_403
06-24-2006, 06:49 AM
Learn to love the Air Brake

WWSensei
06-24-2006, 07:22 AM
Yeah, as she approaches 400mph you need the airbrake to get authority back. It can help to make a really tight turn to evade someone for a moment or two...hopefully a wingman can clear you before all your E is gone.

Best thing it has going for it is that there are few aircraft that can catch it on the deck.

VW-IceFire
06-24-2006, 08:05 AM
I love the P-38 for its versatility and flexibility. I tend to focus more on pounding ground targets than anything else and the P-38 lets me do that quite well. Its HVAR rockets and bomb loadout are impressive, but what I found more impressive is recently when I was flying with a full ground attack load and happened onto a formation of Ju-88s heading back the other way. Me and one other P-38 (similarly loaded) turned around, kept our bombs, and proceeded to pummel the Ju-88s damaging and destroying several.

When we finished with them we turned around again and bombed some panzers before the day was out.

The P-38 gives you some incredible abilities.

1) With no torque because of the counter rotating props on two different engines you can pull into some very high nose situations that other planes cannot maintain because of their engine torque

2) The dive brakes on the later model let you make short and sharp manuevers at high speeds that can throw off the enemy.

3) Excellent top speed lets you chase most types of enemy fighters with a good chance of catching them.

4) It dives really fast which is useful in getting away but its dangerous because the controls lock.

In a dogfight you should try and have the iniative and attack. In defensive mode the P-38 is not so good because its bigger and easier to hit so you want to deny the enemy any chance of doing that. Use climb rate to get above the enemy and attack from there. If you overshoot pull immediately back on the stick, go high AoA, wing over and come back down on them again. You can't do this in many other fighters but you can in the P-38.

Be precise with your shooting...if you land all of the .50cals on target it will hurt as they are so tighly spaced. Use the 20mm at the last seconds to just absolutely pummel the target. Against virtually all types of fighters this is withering firepower that will cripple or destroy whatevers in the line of fire. You HAVE to be precise with the P-38 because there is no serious spread...the guns are tightly concentrated which creates a buzzsaw effect from its nose to about 800m.

Its a tricky plane to fly and fight and in some servers a P-38 ends up being the plane most often chased (its a twin and some expert it to be an easy kill) but you can do well and surprise those folks who think you're just prey.

F19_Ob
06-24-2006, 11:32 AM
A few suggestions when engaged by 109's and other explanatory filling.

In turningcombat one may be forced work the flaps all the time to to macth the enemy so it's a good idea to learn the breaking speed for takeoff-flap wich have saved my butt on occasions.
The p38 may momentarily outturn a 109 at speed but it's unlikely to fool an experienced foe several times.

In the sim the 109 can do all maneuvers better and even slow climbs because it has no torque to speak of.
So one vs one P-38 can't beat a 109, but combat is often a multitude of situations, and not always one vs one.

The strong point in the p38 is it's accelleration, speed and climb, and although it falls behind the 109 in these respects too it is often enough to keep the distance to a 109 for a while, to allow friendlies to intervene.

With a 109 on tail it is not good to start turning or climbing, if not dragging so a friendly will have a clearer shot or trying a final evasion.
My suggestion is to instead let the 109 trail and spray his 30mm, if u have some distance, while u slowly fly waves and sometimes make sideway movements.
This is quite hard to counter if u have enough separation because at 300 or 400m small deviations in aim may be a miss with many meters.
Any other moves like turns, rolls or climbs the 109 do better and he can counter your moves early.

I admit it doesn't sound so hopeful but the thing with the p38 when countering single engined fighters was the absence of tourque because of the counterrotating propellers, wich together with flaps and divebreaks gave it the unike "Turn on a dime" qualities (as I understand it).
Although the 109 was good in all respects it still was not free of the torque-effect like the ingame 109. This is why those p38 tricks wont fly in this game.
Quite many other single-engined planes in the sim however have a small torque-effect when speed bleeds of in turns, and where the engine-rotation wants to flip the plane close to stall. (stall may flip a plane aswell)

Torque-effect could cause the plane to be thrown out of a turn, but atleast throw the plane out of aim.
Try early Yaks, LaGG3, I-153, I-16 to see what I mean if u don't know already.

Also the 109 is shake free when shooting compared to many planes, for example the above mentioned wich enables it to shoot well at very long distances.

--------------------------------------

I just mention this so you may understand why it's hard in the p38, and it's easy to test aswell if u don't want to take my word for it.

Another tip is to practice to shoot on very long distances 400-500m.
When ever doing 90 degree deflection shots start shooting early and stop shooting late, so the enemy must fly through your burst.
The more times one think of shooting early in theese situations, the better the result because one often think one shoots well but when watching tracks one see what happens in another light.

Lastly if u want to survive more often against the 109 I suggest U fly it and compare in maneuvering to the p38 so u know what u are up against.

Cheers m8

WOLFMondo
06-24-2006, 11:41 AM
In the P38L Late, I think you can outrun all the 109's at all altitudes apart from the K4, I think. Its pretty damn fast on the deck and will catch anything but a Dora. Saying that, if the chase starts slow then the P38 will out accelerate the Dora.

BSS Cuda is the man to speak to about flying the 38 online, using prop pitch and such to get extra performance etc.

EiZ0N
06-24-2006, 11:52 AM
Just a point about 90 degree deflection shots... I've always found it to be a bad idea to start shooting early and stop shooting late, mostly because of the fire rate of weapons - unless it is high, you're going to need to get lucky to score a decent hit, I think.

I always just fire the one burst, and just try to time it right. Usually the 90 degree deflection shots are going to occur when the enemy is very close, which makes it much easier for you to judge when to fire and score a decent hit, because obviously the time for the bullets etc to the target is much lower.

BSS_CUDA
06-24-2006, 01:08 PM
suddenly my ears started to ring http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
thx for the props Mondo. go here for 38 flying tips http://www.acompletewasteofspace.com/modules.php?name=F...ile=viewtopic&t=7914 (http://www.acompletewasteofspace.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7914)

Daiichidoku
06-24-2006, 05:15 PM
This deals with the REAL 38, but in spite of that, it may still be of some help to you

http://www.jamesreese.org/hangarflying/Issue1.htm

Mysticpuma2003
07-01-2006, 03:52 AM
thanks for the replies guys, been on hols for the last week, so have not had a chance to view the forums. I'll start on learning how to fly this baby asap, cheers, MP.

ForkTailedDevil
07-01-2006, 06:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I love the P-38 for its versatility and flexibility. I tend to focus more on pounding ground targets than anything else and the P-38 lets me do that quite well. Its HVAR rockets and bomb loadout are impressive, but what I found more impressive is recently when I was flying with a full ground attack load and happened onto a formation of Ju-88s heading back the other way. Me and one other P-38 (similarly loaded) turned around, kept our bombs, and proceeded to pummel the Ju-88s damaging and destroying several. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ice that was me.