PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed with OnLive?

FifthGeneration
04-30-2009, 03:52 PM
I don't know if many of you have heeard but there is a new gaming system coming out that is supposively going to blow away microsoft, sony and any other console maker. Its called OnLive, you can check it out here (http://www.onlive.com/) . Supposively u dont need to buy games anymore but simply stream them off the internet from servers, How many you think that Ubisoft should put AC2 up for this offer?

FifthGeneration
04-30-2009, 03:52 PM
I don't know if many of you have heeard but there is a new gaming system coming out that is supposively going to blow away microsoft, sony and any other console maker. Its called OnLive, you can check it out here (http://www.onlive.com/) . Supposively u dont need to buy games anymore but simply stream them off the internet from servers, How many you think that Ubisoft should put AC2 up for this offer?

UchihaKarasu
04-30-2009, 04:10 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif
I just read about that and I think it's really cool!!!!!

Randy 355
04-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Well it looks like the newest Prince of Persia is supposed to be on there according to their site, so I don't see why not.

drfeelgood8849
04-30-2009, 04:55 PM
i hate the idea of digital distribution. i like having my game case and disc. i like going to the store and buying it. i like having material goods.

Tela
04-30-2009, 05:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by drfeelgood8849:
i hate the idea of digital distribution. i like having my game case and disc. i like going to the store and buying it. i like having material goods. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

spazzoo1025
04-30-2009, 05:37 PM
I agree with doc and Tela, even though that seems like a great idea and service, I just enjoy actually owning games and being able to read the manuals. Also, I feel like if the service gets interrupted or goes down because of internet problems, I won't be able to play my games or maybe even access the server

FifthGeneration
04-30-2009, 06:54 PM
true but the cost of the game may be considerably less seeing that they dont have to pay distrubution fees or worry about piracy, and thy said that they'd have special servers to forgo any lag, but then again games today arent supposed to lag either...

mboltevski
04-30-2009, 07:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by drfeelgood8849:
i hate the idea of digital distribution. i like having my game case and disc. i like going to the store and buying it. i like having material goods. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>2nd.

Randy 355
04-30-2009, 09:06 PM
You guys make a good point about the servers, but my experiences with disks make me turn my head.

Just some advice, don't let your Xbox 360 tip over with a moving disk within. I've lost a disk that way, and now my Xbox stays horizontal.

Besides, if the server is down, it's only a few days, maybe a week tops. My disks were scratched for good...

bokeef04
04-30-2009, 10:24 PM
1. reliant on 1.5-5mb broadband connection:
a) what if your ISP can't provide this?
b) what if it's down?
c) what if you want to travel?
d) what if you don't have uncapped broadband?

2. what if the servers go down or crash?

3. what if the harddrive gets corrupted?

4. what fees are you going to have to pay?

5. if it fails you'll lose everything, you wont even have a copy of the game to play let alone a console to play it on

it has potential, but i don't see it being the end of consoles, worst case scenario will be that there are multiple versions of this competing for our money

can't really see why ubisoft would refuse putting AC or AC2 on it as it's another way for them to make money

kaoruyogi
04-30-2009, 10:40 PM
I have to agree with the internet issues. As someone with a VERY shoddy connection I can't imagine playing streaming games I really give half a crap about. Everytime it dropped I'd lose my game and I'd freak out; I know myself. I'm quite happy with downloading a game and having it in the hard drive, but streaming and I do not agree with each other.

nightpriestess
04-30-2009, 10:56 PM
i hate the idea of digital distribution. i like having my game case and disc. i like going to the store and buying it. i like having material goods. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This.

I don't get why renting/buying movies,games, books, and tv shows digitally is cool. I like having a hard copy, you can let family and friends borrow it and if your machine breaks, you still have your discs.

Xanatos2007
04-30-2009, 11:28 PM
I prefer having a hard copy as well. As long as you take care of the disc, they're perfect. Although in the future I suspect they'll be selling games on USB sticks, it'd save a lot of space and you won't have to worry about scratches.

I hope they don't have both options for AC2, I was really annoyed when I got F.E.A.R 2: Project Origin. I bought the game, CD and all, and I still had to go on the internet and download some Steam program and download the files. Why can't they let you play directly from the CD?

nightpriestess
05-01-2009, 08:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
I prefer having a hard copy as well. As long as you take care of the disc, they're perfect. Although in the future I suspect they'll be selling games on USB sticks, it'd save a lot of space and you won't have to worry about scratches.

I hope they don't have both options for AC2, I was really annoyed when I got F.E.A.R 2: Project Origin. I bought the game, CD and all, and I still had to go on the internet and download some Steam program and download the files. Why can't they let you play directly from the CD? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never herd of games being (legally) put on USB sticks? Where'd you hear that from?

That's annoying though, having to download content in order to play a game, WTF?

caswallawn_2k7
05-01-2009, 10:36 AM
digital distribution wont work, dispite what people say the majority like to have something they can touch, sure I have used steam for a few games but it's mainly just valve titles.

also with this onlive service it relies heavily on the network bandwidth, you strugle to tream decent quality TV show's at less than 3mb line speed, meaning any1 with less than 3mb is going to have hell to get this, before taking into acount your key strokes have to reach the server then bounce back to you to see what is happening causing a massive input lag.

and all that before taking into account most broadband providers now charge for bandwidth and not line speed so alot of people would be getting cut off for reaching thier bandwidth limit, or even worse being charged a fortune to play these games and you just better hop no1 else in your house wants to use the internet or you will be screwed, this system has only been triald on 100mb internal networks so chances are once it hit's the much slower web, with it's lower download/upload speeds and multiple server transfers to reach the target machine this will lag like a ***** and be totaly unplayable.

nightpriestess
05-01-2009, 09:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
digital distribution wont work, dispite what people say the majority like to have something they can touch, sure I have used steam for a few games but it's mainly just valve titles.

also with this onlive service it relies heavily on the network bandwidth, you strugle to tream decent quality TV show's at less than 3mb line speed, meaning any1 with less than 3mb is going to have hell to get this, before taking into acount your key strokes have to reach the server then bounce back to you to see what is happening causing a massive input lag.

and all that before taking into account most broadband providers now charge for bandwidth and not line speed so alot of people would be getting cut off for reaching thier bandwidth limit, or even worse being charged a fortune to play these games and you just better hop no1 else in your house wants to use the internet or you will be screwed, this system has only been triald on 100mb internal networks so chances are once it hit's the much slower web, with it's lower download/upload speeds and multiple server transfers to reach the target machine this will lag like a ***** and be totaly unplayable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow never thought about any of that. Yep, those are yet more reasons why I like having hard copies!

grashopper
05-01-2009, 10:24 PM
I think OnLive is quite stupid due to lag and not being able to play the games you bought if your internet is down. BUT digital distribution can work, iTunes makes a fortune and Sony already sells full PS3 games online. Not to mention all the smaller titles they already sell.

caswallawn_2k7
05-02-2009, 03:55 AM
grass but digital distribution and the onlive service is verry verry differant, in digital distribution you still install the game to your PC and run it localy so once it's installed the internet goes away. were on onlive you never have the game files on your PC it just steams like a youtube video and all commands from the keyboard have to be bounced off the onlive server and come back to your PC before you see the effect of them.

grashopper
05-02-2009, 01:03 PM
I know that...I said the idea of OnLive sucks

But you also said Digital Distribution wont work...

caswallawn_2k7
05-02-2009, 01:12 PM
digital distribution is like marmite you either love it or you hate it, the fact is firms like EA have released expansions and other thing's exclusivly as digital distrubution and the sales are always way down on what they get by selling it with physical media, the place were digital distribution fails is the way it is pulled off.

services like steam and itunes work is because it's like going to shop, everything you could want is in one place. so you can brows items by differant creators, were most didgital distribution is doen directly from the publis so alot of people dont find out about the games due to them not being sold in something that is similar to your standard game shop.

grashopper
05-02-2009, 01:37 PM
But it can work under the right circumstances...people will buy it.
Not everyone is stuck to physical media.
Now with things like iTunes, XBL whatever, the PlayStation Store, even Amazon and GameStop selling them eventually it will be accepted if ya like it or not. Its even rumored that the new PSP is going to be UMDless and be all download.

caswallawn_2k7
05-02-2009, 02:22 PM
as I said services like steam work as every thing is in one place, if the digital distribution does keep the compertition there is now, for example in the UK there is about 4 main game stores and sevral websites all compeating over prices so it means you can get good deals.

but with alot of digital distribution the publishers keep it to them self meaning no1 is compeating with them so they can sell it for what they want, the best example of this being EA store that on average sell's digital distribution titles for atleast 15 more than a physical copy in stores, also the problem of firms like EA that will only ever let you download the game once, unlike firms such as steam that will let you download it as many times as you want. blizard/steam has actualy picked up on what I like, you buy the game from a store but you can put the CD-key into thier site aallowing you to download the game and still play should anything happen to the disc (had sevral DVD's break for aparently no reason over the last couple of years)

as for the PSP rumors I would wait till E3 as dropping UMD has been around since about 2 months after the PSP launch. also if a new PSP comes out it will be PSP2 as there are still no files referencing it in the PSP firmwares unlike with the PSP 2000 and 3000 that had files in the firmwares months before they were anounced.

grashopper
05-02-2009, 03:13 PM
If it does turn out to be UMDless don't you think it would have to be a separate firmware regardless of if its a PSP2 or not? Seems like quite a hardware change. I would hope for a PSP 2 the one nub thing is getting REALLY OLD.

caswallawn_2k7
05-02-2009, 03:17 PM
unofficial sources alreayd have the PSP supporting larger mem sticks and loading games from the mem stick's, now working on the fact some1 without access to sony's full knolage of the code can get these things working on the PSP 1000 and 2000 it would be quite easy for sony to impliment them. but as I said all you can do is wait till E3 as loads of rumours about various things are going round and you wont find out what is true till they anounce it at E3.

Frank420389
04-14-2011, 08:29 PM
I own this game on the onLive service. It plays fantastic the best part anywhere with internet i can play. multiplayer and all

ace3001
04-14-2011, 08:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frank420389:
anywhere with internet i can play. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No, you can't. Not by a long shot.

Googolplex_5
04-16-2011, 12:57 AM
Sure, OnLive would be fine for those into that sort of thing.

Personally, I'm a Brick & Mortar fan myself.

Browsing games is the best part a trip to my local Wal-Mart or game store.

And once home...

Perusing my personal collection, fond memories of my favorite games and all my experiences within said games. Priceless.

That and instruction booklets, the ability to sell or trade the game, pushing that little button in the middle the first time and inspecting the crispness of your brand new find.

Nothing could ever replace those things!!! xD