PDA

View Full Version : What is the order of best - worst.

tim93au
09-29-2007, 06:30 AM
At my school theres an Aeronautics department so IL-2 FB and PF or on the CPUs. And I'm confused when reading reviews as I have PF at home and they all tell me various things as to what is considered best and worst. Can some one me. I would think it would be most recent down to oldest?

tim93au
09-29-2007, 06:30 AM
At my school theres an Aeronautics department so IL-2 FB and PF or on the CPUs. And I'm confused when reading reviews as I have PF at home and they all tell me various things as to what is considered best and worst. Can some one me. I would think it would be most recent down to oldest?

JG52Karaya-X
09-29-2007, 07:34 AM
Not sure I understand you correctly... do you want to know whats the oldest/newest part of the series!? Well:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>IL-2 Sturmovik (The original that started off the series and came out in 2001)
<LI>IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles (Originally designed as an addon to IL-2 but as it implemented so many new maps, flyables and features it was made into a full blown standalone game with most or all of IL-2s previous content)
<LI>Forgotten Battles - Ace Expansion Pack (An addon for FB that for the first time covered the Western Front of WWII in parts and contained mumble-jumble of new flyables, from the Bf110G2 over to the Me163B and Spitfire Mk.V to the P51)
<LI>Pacific Fighters (Originally intended as a standalone simulation using FB's engine covering the air war in the Far East, following community pressure Oleg and Luthier added an option to install PF into an existing FB-AEP installation creating the most complete simulation of WWII up till then)
<LI>IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 (Quite some while after the release of PF Oleg came up with 3 independent sim addons which were only intended for the Russian market, these were the "Pe-2/3 Peshka" addon, the "Sturmoviks over Manchuria" addon and the "1946" addon, each of them with an own set of new flyables, campaigns, maps and objects. After lots of complaints on the international forums it was decided to release these addons in the western world as well, culminating in the aforementioned release which includes everything that has ever been released in the history of IL-2 and its development)[/list]

Skycat_2
09-29-2007, 10:56 AM
This is really a matter of opinion in some cases.

Some players from the old days remember the flight models from the original IL-2 Sturmovik as being 'the best.' Others argued even then that the FMs were overly challenging and that the aircraft stalled and and went into spins too easily. Many people agree that various sound effects were the best in the original game and shouldn't have been changed for Forgotten Battles.

Within the Forgotten Battles series (FB, FB w/ Aces Expansion Pack, Pacific Fighters and now IL-2: 1946) the flight models and other features have been continuously re-evaluated and sometimes changed dramatically. Some people will argue that one patch version was better than another, and I've even heard beta-testers argue that test patches that were never released to the public were 'the best.'

The parameters for the flight models were changed drastically in the first of the Pacific Fighters 4.xx upgrade patches. The developer wanted to test the FMs that the company will use in its next generation of flight sims and so a simplified version was inserted into the current series. At first there were several planes that didn't seem to fly correctly but the latest changes to the FMs (on the 1946 DVD) are generally agreed as being very good overall.

If you have a specific plane you want to know about I'm sure somebody will give you their opinion as to which version/patch was the best representation for it.

(Send in my chart bearers!)

Wild.Bill.Kelso
09-29-2007, 05:04 PM
I just bought IL2 1946 for $9.99 at Circuit City.