PDA

View Full Version : Awesome news the Desmond sequences are completely optional this time

MostJadedGamer
11-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Ubisoft realises that a lot of us only play AC games for the epic historical settings, and don't want to be forced to play through all of this modern, and sci-fi crap. This is a GREAT design decision for those of us who hate that crap, and want less interuption to the historical part of the game.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1212370p2.html

The other major addition to Revelations deals with Desmond. Ubisoft chose to make the modern day assassin's sequences completely optional this time.

MostJadedGamer
11-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Ubisoft realises that a lot of us only play AC games for the epic historical settings, and don't want to be forced to play through all of this modern, and sci-fi crap. This is a GREAT design decision for those of us who hate that crap, and want less interuption to the historical part of the game.

The other major addition to Revelations deals with Desmond. Ubisoft chose to make the modern day assassin's sequences completely optional this time.

souNdwAve89
11-14-2011, 12:05 PM
I disagree with that idea to be honest. As much as I like the incorporation of rich history in the AC games, I also want to know more about Desmond, the modern conflict between Assassins and Templars, etc. Yeah, they are now optional, but I think making this optional will take away the story line a little. I see it as mandatory for the story to progress really.

ShaneO7K
11-14-2011, 12:06 PM
I wouldn't call it awesome news, I would've prefered it to be a bigger part in ACR's story.

CRUDFACE
11-14-2011, 12:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dennis580:

The other major addition to Revelations deals with Desmond. Ubisoft chose to make the modern day assassin's sequences completely optional this time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen one of those Desmond sequences. They're...unique to say the least. But this sucks. I wanted more in-depth Desmond sequences that mattered more to people.

Like Assassin's Creed: The Fall

kriegerdesgottes
11-14-2011, 12:12 PM
I personally agree that it's a good thing. I understand a lot of people want to know more about Desmond but I personally see his portions of the story as a chore and although I would say they are indeed important to support the "good" portions of the franchise, I would also argue that they are far less interesting. I think it's cool just to have the option. I know for sure that I will go through and play his parts of the story although from what I have seen of them I can't say I'm super excited about them but I would like to know more about his past.

Grandmaster_Z
11-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Cool

pacmanate
11-14-2011, 12:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and don't want to be forced to play through all of this modern, and sci-fi crap </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sci fi modern crap? Welcome to assassins creed?

CRUDFACE
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
I personally agree that it's a good thing. I understand a lot of people want to know more about Desmond but I personally see his portions of the story as a chore and although I would say they are indeed important to support the "good" portions of the franchise, I would also argue that they are far less interesting. I think it's cool just to have the option. I know for sure that I will go through and play his parts of the story although from what I have seen of them I can't say I'm super excited about them but I would like to know more about his past. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that's because not allot of writing goes into him. He may carry importance, but he doesn't stand up on his own as a character. He revolves around Ezio a little too much to me. Have you seen the Desmond sequences?

playassassins1
I've played three of the Desmond missions and they are very weird but cool at the same time, It was something i never expected and you seem to learn allot about his past and where he was born.

kriegerdesgottes
11-14-2011, 12:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

I think that's because not allot of writing goes into him. He may carry importance, but he doesn't stand up on his own as a character. He revolves around Ezio a little too much to me. Have you seen the Desmond sequences? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I did see what his gameplay looks like and what the whole first person gameplay looks like when he's in the animus. It looks ok but nothing amazing. I just want to see his own memories of meeting lucy and so on.

MostJadedGamer
11-14-2011, 12:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by souNdwAve89:
I disagree with that idea to be honest. As much as I like the incorporation of rich history in the AC games, I also want to know more about Desmond, the modern conflict between Assassins and Templars, etc. Yeah, they are now optional, but I think making this optional will take away the story line a little. I see it as mandatory for the story to progress really. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why should they be mandatory? The vast, vast majority of the AC games are in historical settings.

Why should those of us who are buying the games solely for the historical settings be forced to play through Desmond's garbage?

Why should those of us who have no interest in the Sci-Fi or Modern story be forced to play through this crap?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sci fi modern crap? Welcome to assassins creed? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope the vast, vast majority of AC is all about epic historical settings. That has always been the selling point of the games.

pacmanate
11-14-2011, 12:35 PM
The whole point is the Sci Fi animus the Sci Fi solar flare end of the world. You wouldnt even be playing as his ancesters if this werent the case.

MostJadedGamer
11-14-2011, 12:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pacmanate:
The whole point is the Sci Fi animus the Sci Fi solar flare end of the world. You wouldnt even be playing as his ancesters if this werent the case. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope through the first 4 games the main point is being able to play in epic historical settings. Thats a simple fact.

CRUDFACE
11-14-2011, 12:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dennis580:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pacmanate:
The whole point is the Sci Fi animus the Sci Fi solar flare end of the world. You wouldnt even be playing as his ancesters if this werent the case. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope through the first 4 games the main point is being able to play in epic historical settings. Thats a simple fact. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, the point of the game is all sci-fi. The POE's, the way Desmond can play as Ezio in the first place and the end of the world via the solar flare...lol, though tbh, I can't tell if you're joking or not

MostJadedGamer
11-14-2011, 12:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Actually, the point of the game is all sci-fi. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not when you spend 90%+ of your time in historical settings. The point of the games, and the selling point of the games are epic historical settings.

EmmaBemma
11-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Well, if that's how people want to play that's how they want to play, I guess. Personally, I find it baffling - Desmond is a pretty integral part of the story and skipping his missions seems to me like skipping whole chapters in a book.

Interestingly, some posters have expressed the opposite opinion - they have no interest in the historical aspects and want to focus entirely on Desmond's story. How about we make the entire game skippable? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

ShaneO7K
11-14-2011, 01:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Actually, the point of the game is all sci-fi. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not when you spend 90%+ of your time in historical settings. The point of the games, and the selling point of the games are epic historical settings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The historical settings are only a part of the games and wouldn't be there without the sci-fi, and don't just write random statistics as if you have actual proof of the percentage you gave it in no what so ever helps your argument and reflects badly on yourself.

kriegerdesgottes
11-14-2011, 01:03 PM
I will say that when Patrice was coming up with the plot for the games that was inspired by reading the book Alamut, he wanted to find a way to go to different time periods without using a time machine. Desmond and the animus became then a very ingenious plot device in order to visit time periods. So although I agree that Desmond and the modern aspect is important and adds a little interest in order to support the games, I would argue that indeed the historical parts are the main selling points and are the main focus of the games.

souNdwAve89
11-14-2011, 01:05 PM
I dunno how some can say that the modern era is not needed when the game's main character is Desmond. Altair and Ezio are one of the main characters, but Desmond is the glue to the whole series. Knowing the history about Desmond makes the game more fulfilling. It also gives more information on how the conflict between the Assassins and Templars are going in the modern day. I dunno how you can complain about the sci-fi aspect when it is present in the past too during Altair and Ezio's life time.

Eventually we are going to play more of Desmond than his next ancestor in AC3, so you're going to be sad, sad, sad panda.

Jexx21
11-14-2011, 01:06 PM
I thought Corey May was the lead writer, not Patrice? Patrice was the creative director, wasn't he?

souNdwAve89
11-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Yeah. I dunno the full details, but Corey May and Patrice Desilets came up with the idea of AC. I think Jade Raymond play a part too, but I forgot. Each AC game had a different writer though.

CRUDFACE
11-14-2011, 01:14 PM
@Jexx: I guess Patrice made the main idea while Corey wrote for it. Corey isn't the one writing now anyways.

@krieger: very, very true

@Sound: it's because Desmond is just an anchor. Pick anything that Desmond has or does and Ezio has done it like ten times better.

Not when you spend 90%+ of your time in historical settings. The point of the games, and the selling point of the games are epic historical settings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While the bulk of the game does take place like you've said, the driving force as well as the reason for most to all of it is Scifi. As well as the abilities and some gameplay mechanics.

Jexx21
11-14-2011, 01:15 PM
Errr.. Corey May still writes for Assassin's Creed. He just isn't the lead writer.

Altair661
11-14-2011, 01:16 PM
This goes right along with my previous thread about Ubisoft giving Desmond no advertisement... they totally not giving him enough attention they needs. If AC3 is all Desmond, anyone who hasn't been with the series 100% won't know who this guy is...I think this was a bad decision by Ubisoft, I definetly will be playing them.

kriegerdesgottes
11-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Jade Raymond was picked to be the producer and the face of the game for the first game probably because she's pretty hot but I did see or read an interview one time with Patrice where he said that Jade may be the face of the game but when people want the answers they come to the guy with the beard(referring to himself). That's probably not word for word but I recall him saying something along those lines.

@ Jexx. yeah Corey May and Patrice and I believe one other person were the main creators of AC. There's an awesome article about it in the latest game informer actually about how it all came to be.

CRUDFACE
11-14-2011, 01:20 PM
@jexx: sorry, that's what I meant though. I know he's still there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
@ Jexx. yeah Corey May and Patrice and I believe one other person were the main creators of AC. There's an awesome article about it in the latest game informer actually about how it all came to be. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? I haven't gotten that one yet

kriegerdesgottes
11-14-2011, 01:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by t260z:

@ Jexx. yeah Corey May and Patrice and I believe one other person were the main creators of AC. There's an awesome article about it in the latest game informer actually about how it all came to be. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? I haven't gotten that one yet </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah it's in the November 2011 edition on page 40. Great article.

CRUDFACE
11-14-2011, 01:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by t260z:

Really? I haven't gotten that one yet </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah it's in the November 2011 edition on page 40. Great article. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now i'm mad that I haven''t gotten ti yet! But I'll skip right to it when it does. Sounds like a cool read.

souNdwAve89
11-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Yeah, Darby McDevitt is the lead writer for ACR, but he works very closely with Corey May (working on the AC Encyclopedia). Jeffrey Yohalem, who was the lead writer for Brotherhood is one of the writers for Embers.

CRUDFACE
11-14-2011, 01:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by souNdwAve89:
Yeah, Darby McDevitt is the lead writer for ACR, but he works very closely with Corey May (working on the AC Encyclopedia). Jeffrey Yohalem, who was the lead writer for Brotherhood is the lead writer for Embers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? Hmm, didn't like brotherhood's plot so much. Maybe he'll work better with the short story in Embers over a longer one like Brotherhood.

kriegerdesgottes
11-14-2011, 01:30 PM
Yeah, Darby McDevitt is the lead writer for ACR, but he works very closely with Corey May (working on the AC Encyclopedia). Jeffrey Yohalem, who was the lead writer for Brotherhood is the lead writer for Embers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Darby wrote Embers as well.

CRUDFACE
11-14-2011, 01:33 PM

Darby wrote Embers as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

YAY!

Jocelyne1492
11-14-2011, 01:39 PM
When are the Desmond sequences?
How are they accessed?

Altair661
11-14-2011, 01:42 PM
What happens is in the cities you find these things similar to glyphs, once you have a certain amount you go to the island (Sorta like the santucary in ACB) and you can access the memory and Desmond and 16 go through it and it's a tron style like platforming thing.

playassassins1
11-14-2011, 01:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SpatmanNibos:
When are the Desmond sequences?
How are they accessed? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_WHITE">As Ezio you have to collect Animus Data Fragments, And when you have 5 of those Fragments you have to go back to the Animus Island. Then go to the middle and you will see pillars and between every Pillar there is a portal. And every time you get 5 Fragments more you get access to a mission.</span>

BK-110
11-14-2011, 02:01 PM
About the importance of the modern day story:

Think about it this way: If you ignore the modern day part of the story, then the struggle for the Pieces of Eden, Ezio meeting Minerva and the Vaults become kind of meaningless. They may not be the selling point, but they ARE extremely central to the story.

I don't have the game yet, so I'm not sure, but as far as I know the Desmond sequences are only about Desmond's past, and as such aren't quite central to the story, which is probably the reason why they have been made skippable. I personally look forward to playing them.

CRUDFACE
11-14-2011, 02:02 PM
@playassassins1: wait, every five? You sure about that? There are like 100 fragments.

De Filosoof
11-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Nice!! i hope the fragments are to be found all across Constantinople and Cappadocia so we have to explore the cities to know the story of Desmond! i really like this as a fan http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif And for the people that don't wanna play the desmond levels...you're no real assassin's creed fans..It's a major part of the story and experience.

Animuses
11-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Awesome news? This is terrible news. I don't want to have to go around searching for the Desmond sequences. I want them handed to me since they are part of the story.

roostersrule2
11-14-2011, 02:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Animuses:
Awesome news? This is terrible news. I don't want to have to go around searching for the Desmond sequences. I want them handed to me since they are part of the story. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Exactly.

Krayus Korianis
11-14-2011, 02:52 PM
I don't like this, but I'll collect these fragments of the animus to see Desmond's memories.

Not because it's optional, but because I WANT to see his early life. Desmond is an integral part of this game series, I don't know why some people don't see that.

CRUDFACE
11-14-2011, 02:54 PM
You know, in general this just feels weird. the game was partly billed on Desmond's past. Magazines as well as gaming sites were finally happy to see that. But now, not only do they basically not matter. But they're based on collection quests to?

This'll make people not like Desmond even more than they already do.

@krayus: too bad dude, because his story is narrated to you. You don't "see" it at all

MostJadedGamer
11-14-2011, 03:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If AC3 is all Desmond </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't think Ubisoft are going to something stupid. They would lose a lot of sales if they done something stupid like that.

Also Ubisoft have already said there will be a new ancestor in AC3.

CRUDFACE
11-14-2011, 03:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If AC3 is all Desmond </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't think Ubisoft are going to something stupid. They would lose a lot of sales if they done something stupid like that.

Also Ubisoft have already said there will be a new ancestor in AC3. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'll never be all Desmond. That's just a simple fact.

De Filosoof
11-14-2011, 03:42 PM
But does this mean ALL the sequences of Desmond are optional? i mean the animus fragments are more like the replacement of the glyphs right?...You will still have the storyline Desmond sequences right?....right?

E-Zekiel
11-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Wow... reading through this thread is eye-opening. I didn't realize there were so many people that played these games that hated them.

cless711
11-14-2011, 04:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Krayus_Korianis:
I don't like this, but I'll collect these fragments of the animus to see Desmond's memories.

Not because it's optional, but because I WANT to see his early life. Desmond is an integral part of this game series, I don't know why some people don't see that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

^
This. Desmond's parts were, to me, always the most important parts of the game. I just hope that the game doesn't end without Desmond and leave him behind so Altair and Ezio can finish the roles in the story.

Chariflame
11-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Without spoiling anything:

Guys, whether you like Desmond or not, you have to give his sequences a go. The gameplay in them is incredible and unlike anything ever seen in the series so far.

Plus, tons of backstory and development for Des, so you'll probably start liking him anyway!

Krayus Korianis
11-14-2011, 05:32 PM
You know, in general this just feels weird. the game was partly billed on Desmond's past. Magazines as well as gaming sites were finally happy to see that. But now, not only do they basically not matter. But they're based on collection quests to?

This'll make people not like Desmond even more than they already do.

@krayus: too bad dude, because his story is narrated to you. You don't "see" it at all </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't really care. I want to know about Desmond's early years. I want to know what he's done between then and when we first see him at Abstergo. I'll do it just to know what happened.

tjbyrum1
11-14-2011, 05:57 PM
I'd like to know more about Desmond Gameplay, but I don't know if I should spoil it....

Any videos on it?

dxsxhxcx
11-14-2011, 07:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tjbyrum1:
I'd like to know more about Desmond Gameplay, but I don't know if I should spoil it....

Any videos on it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

there are some videos on youtube, I watched the first minutes of his first "memory" and didn't like what I saw, [SPOILER - DESCRIPTION OF ONE OF DESMOND'S MEMORIES] <span class="ev_code_WHITE">not only because of the fact that they're in 1st person, but when they told us we would know more about Desmond's past, I was expecting to play his memories the same way we do with Altair and Ezio, from a 3rd person perspective and the animus recreating the place where the memory happens, but what I saw (in the beginning of the video, I didn't watch the full video so I may be wrong) was just Desmond seeing some kind of picture of his past and "explaining to the player" what happened there</span> =/

Yoshack Fyre84
11-15-2011, 03:17 PM
The Desmond sequences are the most important part of the Assassin's Creed series. It's what ties everything together. Optional my foot, if you don't play them, you're missing out on the most intriguing part of the game. I'm going to go watch the Lineage movie before playing ACR. I'm bummed I watched Embers first. Play the game before watching Embers for it to have more meaning.

Il_Divo
11-15-2011, 11:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Yoshack_Fyre:
The Desmond sequences are the most important part of the Assassin's Creed series. It's what ties everything together. Optional my foot, if you don't play them, you're missing out on the most intriguing part of the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm going to go with this. You're entitled to prefer the historical settings which the various AC games explore. And I don't think anyone will deny that the majority of the experience takes place in the sandbox itself.

But for every single game, Ubisoft has made an effort to ensure that the player understands how each aspect fits into the grand scheme of things. As the story is written so far, Ezio's story and Altair's story lose much of their significance on their own, and require the larger context of Desmond's tale to see how everything ties in together.

This is a framed narrative, and the modern setting is the frame. It can't be optional, unless we remove all meaning from the main storyline.

zerocooll21
11-16-2011, 10:14 AM
There are 100 data fragments, you only need 30 to see all of desmonds story.

Oddly, I noticed there were two more pillars that are broken after the 5th one. Thinking something might open up after the game I went back but there was nothing. The pillars were rebuilt but no door way. Wonder if its set up for DLC.