PDA

View Full Version : TrackIR and eMagin Z800

Lodovik
12-20-2006, 02:17 AM
Anybody with experience with eMagin Z800, help me out pu-pu-puhlease. I really need to know some quick facts.

As the Z800 has this nifty gyroscopic position tracking, I don't need the trusty TIR anymore, right? But since SoW is in the horizon, does the Z800 support 6DoF? And more importantly, does it have IL-2 support?<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

<<The 20 mm cannons built by the tender hands of Komsomol girls' volunteer workers corps played their deadly masurkah.
Octobriana pulled her LA-7 up and away as another of the Rodinas' enemies fell screaming to his doom.>>

Lodovik
12-20-2006, 02:17 AM
Anybody with experience with eMagin Z800, help me out pu-pu-puhlease. I really need to know some quick facts.

As the Z800 has this nifty gyroscopic position tracking, I don't need the trusty TIR anymore, right? But since SoW is in the horizon, does the Z800 support 6DoF? And more importantly, does it have IL-2 support?<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

&lt;&lt;The 20 mm cannons built by the tender hands of Komsomol girls' volunteer workers corps played their deadly masurkah.
Octobriana pulled her LA-7 up and away as another of the Rodinas' enemies fell screaming to his doom.&gt;&gt;

stathem
12-20-2006, 02:23 AM
Did you read the review on SimHQ?

Iirc there it said that it's native tracking was a bit pooh and it worked better if you still used a Tir with it.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/griffnav/Gallery/MossiePRsig.jpg

WB_Outlaw
12-20-2006, 06:54 AM
The tracking on the Z800 uses gyros and accelerometers to emulate the mouse. This method is less than useless when compared to the TrackIR.

--Outlaw.

Lodovik
12-20-2006, 09:01 AM
Ta foe the clarifications guys. I wasn't quite sure of that after reading the SimHQ review.
Now it's just a matter of deciding if I'm going to spend my unexpected taxreturns on Z800 or actually wait for the Z1300 or whatever it's going to be called. Or I might even pay some bills with that money or save it up (yeah, right).<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

&lt;&lt;The 20 mm cannons built by the tender hands of Komsomol girls' volunteer workers corps played their deadly masurkah.
Octobriana pulled her LA-7 up and away as another of the Rodinas' enemies fell screaming to his doom.&gt;&gt;

lamer_gamer
12-26-2006, 06:30 PM
Actually, the gyros in the z800 are very accurate. I find them to be better than the TIR, especially when past a couple degrees off center. The accelerometers are good, but it's up to the software to make the positional tracking accurate. The z800 SDK only returns acceleration data, where the TIR returns true 3D position. If the programmers had a good go of it, they could make the z800 a good alternative. I've been writing an TIR replacement that allows the z800 to be used natively in TIR enabled games, so I've been dealing with this for a week now...