PDA

View Full Version : Noob can't shoot straight.

AllorNothing117
01-01-2009, 05:15 AM
I fly the P-38 against zeros. I'm starting to get the hang of it I think. Unfortunatly getting the hang of it means that I end up hurtling down on them at about 550-600km/h fighting the compression thingy and trying to get my 4 50cals and 1 40mm cannon pionting in the right direction. I apretiate that all that is needed is one good hit from anything up to 1000m and the Zero will loose a wing on catch fire (or, if your lucky, explode) but I'm no good at actully making that happen. I tend to hang fire until I'm about 50m away but by then you have about 3 seconds to line up a good shot. Any tips )especially if your a lightning pilot!) will be much apretiated.

PS: I understnad deflection shooting.

AllorNothing117
01-01-2009, 05:15 AM
I fly the P-38 against zeros. I'm starting to get the hang of it I think. Unfortunatly getting the hang of it means that I end up hurtling down on them at about 550-600km/h fighting the compression thingy and trying to get my 4 50cals and 1 40mm cannon pionting in the right direction. I apretiate that all that is needed is one good hit from anything up to 1000m and the Zero will loose a wing on catch fire (or, if your lucky, explode) but I'm no good at actully making that happen. I tend to hang fire until I'm about 50m away but by then you have about 3 seconds to line up a good shot. Any tips )especially if your a lightning pilot!) will be much apretiated.

PS: I understnad deflection shooting.

FlatSpinMan
01-01-2009, 05:39 AM
Veteran can't shoot straight either. Don't worry!

Deedsundone
01-01-2009, 06:13 AM
40mm should be 20mm I guess http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

To me it sound that you got it all correct.I guess you just have to start to shoot earlier.And we all miss sometimes,even an ace like me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif.

AllorNothing117
01-01-2009, 06:17 AM
But I'm realy bad!

gorkyporky
01-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Well, practice? Flying the P-38, i asume you are a BnZ guy. Im not realy experienced with that (actualy, im not realy good at il-2, so dont take this advice to serious), but this is what i do. Line up the shot as soon as you start diving on it. You follow the zero from behind and above, then as soon as you dive, put your piper where you think you should fire, but dont fire until yu are like 500m away. I actualy fire even closer, since my convergence is set for TnB. Then see when you get some gits and try to adjust your aim acordingly.
60% of the time it works all the time.

crucislancer
01-01-2009, 12:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AllorNothing117:
But I'm realy bad! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Practice makes perfect. It's cliche, but oh so true. As you gain experience, you will get a feel for the guns and gunsight, and you will see your score go up. It will happen, but it takes time. Also, take into account convergence, which effects nose mounted guns as well. Lead the target more then you think it needs. Short bursts.

2 years in, and there are days that I can't hit the broad side of a barn, and then there are days that I'll fire a short burst on a high deflection shot and get a kill. In fact I surprised myself the other day by blowing the tail off a bf109F-4 while flying the Spit mkVb, a snap shot that I was almost certain wasn't going to connect, and it did. not an hour later, I couldn't score at all, same planes, just a different mission.

Wildnoob
01-01-2009, 01:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FlatSpinMan:
Veteran can't shoot straight either. Don't worry! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if you are a good pilot it's very different. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

but actually is possible to make precise hits in the enemy aircraft 6 o'clok.

go to the quick mission and set a friendly plane (recommend more then one for you training not be necessary to stop to respaw enemy planes) and make target pratic on him. they will stay like sitting ducks but it's good to pratic, as enemy planes in quick missions have unrealistic evasive ways. try come from behind faster and make firing passes. with training you going to be able to get many time with the gunsigth exactly in the middle of the enemy 6 o'clock.

start with larger targets such as bombers and before with more small aircraft. everything in this sim as well as in real life is pratic, you have do be a dedicated pilot and with sure you going to master completly the guns of your plane.

by the way, you are using elevator trim to compensante the gain or loose of altitude ?

Stingray333
01-01-2009, 02:45 PM
If your flying one of the later P-38, P-38J I think it is, you can use the dive brake to help to turn at high speeds and get over the compressibility effects that develop. I find that I just pop it open really quickly, turn hard, then close the dive brake and lighten up the turn a bit,

Stingray

Aaron_GT
01-01-2009, 05:16 PM
You are on the right track with a dive through a formation (very hard for anyone to follow you, and you have access to the vulnerable bits of the plane - there isn't so much to hit in a 6 shot and the rounds are hitting at a very shallow angle). Just practice aiming as you do so.

The P-38, in terms of armament, is a good choice as although it is moderate, it is well grouped. Just practice landing the shots in critical areas (the engine is a good choice).