PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer Aspect

JWS93
12-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Hello, my friend and I have been recently looking for a WW2 Combat sim and are interested in this game. We have been playing Aces High 2 and really enjoyed it but we are not sure if we want to pay the $15 a month. The thing I like about Aces High 2 is how many players were in one match and I am wondering if the online community is active. Thanks!

JWS93
12-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Hello, my friend and I have been recently looking for a WW2 Combat sim and are interested in this game. We have been playing Aces High 2 and really enjoyed it but we are not sure if we want to pay the $15 a month. The thing I like about Aces High 2 is how many players were in one match and I am wondering if the online community is active. Thanks!

AndyJWest
12-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Yes, there are 618 people flying online at HyperLobby right now, which is fairly typical for this time of day.

If you need information on getting online, look in Bearcats Nugget's Guide (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/9121094645). You will find much else in there which is pretty well essential.

Welcome to the forum....

JWS93
12-26-2009, 04:18 PM
thanks for the response, how many people can go in one game and what are the game modes?

megalopsuche
12-26-2009, 04:23 PM
I'm probably one of the few people here who plays both Il-2 and AH, so here's what I've seen:

1. No server in Il-2 is going to deliver the massive furballs that you've seen in AH. However, some servers do have good attendance with around 35 players being typical.

2. There are fun servers on Il-2 that offer historical matchups that you will almost never find in AH. Unless you wait for special events, in AH you will frequently be fighting Bf 109 vs A6M, P-51 vs P-51, etc. In general, there is a greater emphasis on the historical aspect of air-combat in Il-2.

3. AH has in-game voice, so you will never have to fuss with teamspeak to talk to your wingmen.

4. Surprising as it may sound to some here, gameplay in Il-2 is more gentlemanly. You don't know what a "vulch-fest" is until you've played AH, where you may have 12+ pilots circling an airfield shooting people as they try to take off.

5. There are significant differences in the feel of the aircraft between the two sims. I suggest you try both and decide which you prefer. I can't say which one has more accurate flight modeling, but the two sims match up pretty well in that both communities have people who whine about the P-51 not being good enough, the Spitfire is easy to fly, etc.

7. Generally, gunnery is a bit easier in AH, and the .50 caliber weapons are more effective than in Il-2.

8. AH has no engine management. Firewall the throttle and go.

9. The viewing system in AH is easier than in Il-2. In AH you can swivel your head 360 degrees and the view moves much more rapidly, so if you don't have track-ir you are not at a disadvantage.

10. The communities are very different. The AH community generally frowns on flying to live and places more emphasis on developing the ability to take as many down with you as possible before you die, but there is an exception to this ethic in their special events that re-enact historical events. In the Il-2 community, boom-n-zoom, hit and run tactics are regarded more favorably and few people see shame in running if the situation becomes unfavorable. You are far less likely to be insulted in the Il-2 community, told that you are "owned," etc. For example, you might see me say at this forum that someone is "full of crap," but that is child's play compared to the kind of flame-baiting you see in AH.

Hope that helps. Definitely try out both. Each sim has its own strengths.

Edit: Forgot one more point...Despite their recent graphics update, Il-2 is still far prettier than AH, especially with its optical effects and clouds.

JWS93
12-26-2009, 04:29 PM
^ wow great info! thanks. So, if I purchased this on steam I would be able to play online correct?

megalopsuche
12-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Yes, but some people have had problems with steam. If you haven't bought Il-2 already, purchase Il-2 1946 from direct2drive instead.

It might have sounded like I told you everything there was to know, well, I forgot something else that is very important in Il-2: mods. In Il-2, many servers use mods, and not all servers that use mods are using the same mod. Mods are so popular in Il-2 that it's almost necessary to install a mod to play online...and that's a whole other can of worms. The nice thing about AH is that everyone is playing the same game, and it automatically updates for you if you when you log in.

The first thing to do for Il-2 is download hyperlobby.

What version of Il-2 do you have?

Another edit: from a financial point of view, I would go ahead and buy Il-2 before subscribing to AH because it's only $10. If you don't like it, big whoop. It will take you many months to really know if you like AH.

JWS93
12-26-2009, 04:35 PM
I haven't downloaded it yet but the whole IL-2 set is $5 on steam and its a steal.

megalopsuche
12-26-2009, 04:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JWS93:
I haven't downloaded it yet but the whole IL-2 set is $5 on steam and its a steal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For the love of God, don't buy Il-2 from steam. I'd pay twice that to get it from direct2drive if I were you.

http://www.direct2drive.com/30...movik:-1946-Download (http://www.direct2drive.com/3021/product/Buy-IL-2-Sturmovik:-1946-Download)

AndyJWest
12-26-2009, 04:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the whole IL-2 set is $5 on steam </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Be careful, they may sell you something called 'IL-2 Complete' or something like that, which ISN'T the latest version. What you need is IL-2 1946 - This includes everything from earlier versions, and a lot of new stuff as well.

DD_crash
12-27-2009, 05:28 AM
Dont forget to patch it! (see the sticky nugget thread by Bearcat)

Xiolablu3
12-29-2009, 09:13 AM
Make sure yopu get 'IL2 1946', as you weill end up buying more addons to play online.

1946 is the ONLY up to date version. Not even the 'complete collection' or 'full editions' are complete any more.

Fogmaster_
12-30-2009, 09:37 AM
IL2 on steam is fine! I have downloaded it with no problems at all.

It will only include patch up to 4.7, you need to patch to 4.8 and then 4.9 to play online.

this post also makes me never want to play aces high!

Urufu_Shinjiro
12-30-2009, 04:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fogmaster_:
IL2 on steam is fine! I have downloaded it with no problems at all.

It will only include patch up to 4.7, you need to patch to 4.8 and then 4.9 to play online.

this post also makes me never want to play aces high! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Il2 on steam is missing the il2setup.exe that lets you set some important options. PM me with your email and I'll email you the missing files.

Frankthetank36
12-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Isn't the current IL-2 a bit more recent than the latest version of Aces High?

megalopsuche
12-30-2009, 08:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankthetank36:
Isn't the current IL-2 a bit more recent than the latest version of Aces High? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The latest AH patch was released December 8th.