PDA

View Full Version : New Pilot here, with some questions

GarnierMcGarvey
03-18-2009, 08:24 PM
Hi everyone, I've had the original IL2 for a long time, but I just bought 1946 on Steam and am downloading it now. My only real flight simulator experience is from 5 years ago or more, flying in MSF 4 through 2004.

My brother has a Saitek X52 that he doesn't use, I just dug it up and intend to use it when I begin serious flying. First of all, the wire that connects the throttle and stick is missing, so I need to know what it is called so I can order a replacement.

I read through the Nugget's guide and look forward to getting into practicing. I know flying is a lot harder than most things... but I really enjoy it so I intend to learn if I can find the time.

Another thing I want to know is are there any teamspeak or ventrillo servers I could get on where you folks are. I don't have a working mic but it would be good to get familiar with the online aspect anyhow.

GarnierMcGarvey
03-18-2009, 08:24 PM
Hi everyone, I've had the original IL2 for a long time, but I just bought 1946 on Steam and am downloading it now. My only real flight simulator experience is from 5 years ago or more, flying in MSF 4 through 2004.

My brother has a Saitek X52 that he doesn't use, I just dug it up and intend to use it when I begin serious flying. First of all, the wire that connects the throttle and stick is missing, so I need to know what it is called so I can order a replacement.

I read through the Nugget's guide and look forward to getting into practicing. I know flying is a lot harder than most things... but I really enjoy it so I intend to learn if I can find the time.

Another thing I want to know is are there any teamspeak or ventrillo servers I could get on where you folks are. I don't have a working mic but it would be good to get familiar with the online aspect anyhow.

danjama
03-18-2009, 08:32 PM
Hey man download Hyperlobby and log on. Look for me "Danjama" and i'll be happy to help with anything! There are lots of TS/Vent servers but their normally owned by squads/servers.

Hyperlobby (http://hyperfighter.sk/)

Snodrvr
03-18-2009, 09:04 PM
I'm pretty sure the cable that connects the joystick to the throttle is just a basic PS/2 cable with a connector at each end. You can probably find one pretty cheap.

EDIT: I just looked for one myself and they were a bit harder to find then I figured, Newegg.com has one for about 7 bucks though. Good luck, and welcome aboard.

Zeus-cat
03-18-2009, 09:30 PM
If you read the Nugget's Guide you should have seen my training campaign mentioned - "Straight From the Farm". It is quick to play and you will learn a lot. Get it today while supplies last!

jayhall0315
03-18-2009, 09:50 PM
I second the Straight from the Farm training missions... good stuff and will help get you up to speed. Before you head to Hyperlobby and combat against other real humans, you may want to look at this guide:

http://files.filefront.com/New...02260;/fileinfo.html (http://files.filefront.com/Newbies+Guide+IL2+Dogfightpdf/;13402260;/fileinfo.html)

Gives you a bit of a heads up on what to expect when you start online flying.

Cheers - Jay

DD_crash
03-19-2009, 09:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Snodrvr:
I'm pretty sure the cable that connects the joystick to the throttle is just a basic PS/2 cable with a connector at each end. You can probably find one pretty cheap.

EDIT: I just looked for one myself and they were a bit harder to find then I figured, Newegg.com has one for about 7 bucks though. Good luck, and welcome aboard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Try ebay it IS a ps/2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

GarnierMcGarvey
03-19-2009, 03:57 PM
So this (http://cgi.ebay.com/6FT-PS2-KEYBOARD-MOUSE-M-M-CABLE_W0QQitemZ170263353967QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_ Cables_Adapters?hash=item170263353967&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50) is what I want? I'm ready to buy it just want to be sure that that is exactly the thing.

I did some practice taking off, and then went online and started getting shot down as expected. I got four kills in about three hours of flying, but two of them were because someone crashed me from behind while I was trying to evade them.

My current joystick makes it very hard though, as the plane goes left and down by default making right turns and gaining altitude very slow. Not to mention the insane fishtailing while taking off. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Stiletto-
03-19-2009, 04:57 PM
DD_crash are you sure it works with a standard ps/2 cable? I know it looks exactly the same and it fits perfectly.. but have you actually tried it with a non-saitek regular ps/2 cable? I thought I heard that it might actually be different even though it looks the same.. I have an x-52.. Too bad I don't have a ps/2 cable around.

Ritter_Cuda
03-19-2009, 05:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stiletto-:
DD_crash are you sure it works with a standard ps/2 cable? I know it looks exactly the same and it fits perfectly.. but have you actually tried it with a non-saitek regular ps/2 cable? I thought I heard that it might actually be different even though it looks the same.. I have an x-52.. Too bad I don't have a ps/2 cable around. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

why would anyone build something that you can plug a standard cable into and have it NOT use a standard cable? I going to walk away now shaking my head in confusion

Stiletto-
03-19-2009, 05:20 PM
Companies do things like that, so you can't just buy a cheap replacement cable.. They want you to be forced to give them more money.

Look at the XBox 360, it is USB but goodluck hooking up a your PC joystic to that, or a Logitech G25 racing wheel.. They want you to buy Microsoft brand controllers.. or Xbox specific licensed controllers, it's all to make money. Saitek has an Xbox X-52 and now a Xbox Aviator joystick.

It's stupid and to be honest, I am sure it is hurting them in sales with cross platform gamers.. I have a PS3 which I got as a gift and kept to play blu-rays.. It works great with my Logitiech G25, a 300 dollar wheel I got for the PC.. But if I wanted to play racing games on an Xbox I would have to buy their much crappier wheel for 100 dollars or so, doesn't even have a clutch pedal or a 6 speed shifter.. It's all USB but it doesnt matter.

But back on topic.. I didn't realize that the price of that PS/2 cable including shipping is under 4 bucks.. You don't got much to loose if it doesn't work, might as well try it if you don't mind the 4 dollars.

GarnierMcGarvey
03-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Hopefully someone will be able to confirm whether or not a normal PS2 cable will work, I did a google search but only found people saying they had a replacement coming, no mention of using a non-saitek cable.

FlatSpinMan
03-19-2009, 07:45 PM
Not sure if you are kidding or not but the way you describe yourplane moving is not a joystick problem, it's just the way the rotation of the plane's engine affects the motion of the plane. Check out the Nuggets Guide to geting off the ground,and look for info on TORQUE and TRIM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GarnierMcGarvey:
So this (http://cgi.ebay.com/6FT-PS2-KEYBOARD-MOUSE-M-M-CABLE_W0QQitemZ170263353967QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_ Cables_Adapters?hash=item170263353967&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50) is what I want? I'm ready to buy it just want to be sure that that is exactly the thing.

I did some practice taking off, and then went online and started getting shot down as expected. I got four kills in about three hours of flying, but two of them were because someone crashed me from behind while I was trying to evade them.

My current joystick makes it very hard though, as the plane goes left and down by default making right turns and gaining altitude very slow. Not to mention the insane fishtailing while taking off. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DD_crash
03-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Hello, I bought a PS/2 extension lead for mine to save unpluging and it works great http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif if there was a difference in the wiring then it shouldn`t work. I am also sure that I read it was PS/2 on the Saitek forum.

GarnierMcGarvey
03-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Thank you, that's what I wanted. I'll order one then.

Stiletto-
03-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Awesome.

GarnierMcGarvey
03-20-2009, 05:13 PM
I've been in the Spits_vs_109s server mostly so far, is it the most realistic server? I want to start out learning things the right way, rather than waste my time playing arcade servers and then be worthless in a realism server.

Woke_Up_Dead
03-20-2009, 05:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GarnierMcGarvey:
I've been in the Spits_vs_109s server mostly so far, is it the most realistic server? I want to start out learning things the right way, rather than waste my time playing arcade servers and then be worthless in a realism server. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that server and a couple of others are the most realistic servers out there. I don't know about your learning approach though, it may be too steep for you to get anything out of it. It's probably a good idea to start with the cockpit on, but I would make things easier on myself with a couple of options such as icons, an icon for your position on the map, and maybe external views. Going from learning to take-off to Spits vs 109's is like trying to play one of Chopin's Polonaises right after learning the difference between the black keys and the white keys on the piano. Start with "Twinkle-Twinkle Little Star." No, that's not a name of a server.

DKoor
03-20-2009, 06:57 PM
I've been in the Spits_vs_109s server mostly so far, is it the most realistic server? I want to start out learning things the right way, rather than waste my time playing arcade servers and then be worthless in a realism server. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Don't know which online utility for connection to the game you are using, but you may give XFire a go.
There are some servers that other utils are not showing, and they are nice (realistic settings etc.). You may even use it for a lot of other online games and more... and it's free.
http://i41.tinypic.com/72966q.gif
http://www.xfire.com/

GarnierMcGarvey
03-20-2009, 08:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Woke_Up_Dead:
I don't know about your learning approach though, it may be too steep for you to get anything out of it. It's probably a good idea to start with the cockpit on, but I would make things easier on myself with a couple of options such as icons, an icon for your position on the map, and maybe external views. Going from learning to take-off to Spits vs 109's is like trying to play one of Chopin's Polonaises right after learning the difference between the black keys and the white keys on the piano. Start with "Twinkle-Twinkle Little Star." No, that's not a name of a server. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well I am reading In Pursuit, and flying in Spits vs 109s felt just right. I don't really stand a chance of scoring any hits yet, but I sit in teamspeak and listen to their talk while just flying around among them. Icons being off makes it a lot easier to stay alive as it affects all players equally. I'm not worried if I do badly for a long time, it's just a great experience there and I do think that learning everything at once will make the whole learning process easier.

Stiletto-
03-20-2009, 10:08 PM
It may be a steep learning curve on Spits vs 109's, but if you are flying with them and using/listening to your squadmates on teamspeak, you can see what they are doing, when and why.. Communication helps ALOT on the closed pit servers, I am sure you will pick up a good amount knowledge when flying with other pilots on the more realistic servers.

tagert
03-21-2009, 08:34 AM

Another thing I want to know is are there any teamspeak or ventrillo servers I could get on where you folks are. I don't have a working mic but it would be good to get familiar with the online aspect anyhow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>welcome!

danjama
03-21-2009, 08:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Woke_Up_Dead:
I don't know about your learning approach though, it may be too steep for you to get anything out of it. It's probably a good idea to start with the cockpit on, but I would make things easier on myself with a couple of options such as icons, an icon for your position on the map, and maybe external views. Going from learning to take-off to Spits vs 109's is like trying to play one of Chopin's Polonaises right after learning the difference between the black keys and the white keys on the piano. Start with "Twinkle-Twinkle Little Star." No, that's not a name of a server. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well I am reading In Pursuit, and flying in Spits vs 109s felt just right. I don't really stand a chance of scoring any hits yet, but I sit in teamspeak and listen to their talk while just flying around among them. Icons being off makes it a lot easier to stay alive as it affects all players equally. I'm not worried if I do badly for a long time, it's just a great experience there and I do think that learning everything at once will make the whole learning process easier. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey man it sounds like your having a great time and it's good to hear http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

What's your HL username?

GarnierMcGarvey
03-21-2009, 09:05 AM
I'm Garnier in the lobby and in game.

GarnierMcGarvey
03-26-2009, 09:56 AM
The wire arrived, and it works fine. I now need to find a profile (this is the X-52, not Pro) and figure out how to "install" it.. I downloaded one just to try it out (It's a .DAT file) but I have no idea how to use it. Do I just put the file somewhere, or what?

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-26-2009, 02:57 PM
There are two types of x52 profiles, the old .dat worked with the older driver and software but the newest driver and software uses the .pr0 file type. It's really best to make your own profile, it takes some time but it's best to put the controls where you think they would be best placed, that way you spend less time memorizing where everything is.

As for where to place the profile, it depends on the OS but the easiest thing to do would be make a test profile, you don't have to do anything to it just save it with an easily identifiable name and do a search for that name.

Blindman-
03-26-2009, 03:03 PM
For training missions you might want to check out the 2 Minutes to Action missions (find the link in my signature). These have about 25 missions on each of 6 levels of increasing difficulty. There is also some newbie advice in an included document as well.

Welcome aboard.

crucislancer
03-26-2009, 05:38 PM
The wire arrived, and it works fine. I now need to find a profile (this is the X-52, not Pro) and figure out how to "install" it.. I downloaded one just to try it out (It's a .DAT file) but I have no idea how to use it. Do I just put the file somewhere, or what? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Garnier,

There is a link in my signature to an X52 profile that I made a while back. You will need the latest SST software from Saitek (download from their site). The profile comes with the controls.ini for your pilot, as I made some changes to the controls scheme in game, as well as assigning trim to the throttle rotarys and adjusting the sensitivity on the axis. If you have any questions regarding it feel free to PM me.