PDA

View Full Version : Ditching.

joberrick
09-13-2004, 06:29 PM
Will the pilot instantly open his raft or Mae West once in the water, or will I have click a button?

joberrick
09-13-2004, 06:29 PM
Will the pilot instantly open his raft or Mae West once in the water, or will I have click a button?

stansdds
09-13-2004, 06:45 PM
I'll be happy to just be able to successfully ditch! Some things you just can't do in CFS2.

Fliger747
09-16-2004, 03:44 AM
Surprisingly I was able to ditch a 1% TBM in CFS2 without it 'exploding', which was the usual fate for the slightest transgresion there. The plane took about 20 seconds or so to sink, maybe a bit longer.

Some airplanes had better ditching charcteristics than others. The Sea-Hurri and Seafire had 'excrable' ditching abilities, supposedly like a 'submarine'. One guess was that the botom mounted radiators were responsible for this. If so the P51 might not have been a ditching dream either, though I haven't read anything about this (no survivors?).

Ditching, a pretty neat effect if they can pull it off.

SKULLS_Exec01
09-16-2004, 08:44 AM
Great question joberrick, i would like to know that also!!
And what about points in coops, if we survire will we get more points for ditching near the friendly fleet vs over enemy area?

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/skulls/images/Sigs/skulls_sig-Exec01A.gif (http://skulls98.tk)
SKULLS_Exec
CO of The SKULLS Squadron

BinaryFalcon
09-16-2004, 09:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If so the P51 might not have been a ditching dream either, though I haven't read anything about this (no survivors?).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's been a couple of years since I last read it, but from what I remember of the P-51 pilot's manual I've got it advises against ditching if at all possible.

However, it goes on to say that if you must ditch, don't worry about it, as it can be done successfully, you just need to be very quick about it.

As I remember, it warns that the Mustang will come to a rather sudden stop, and that once it does it will typically sink within 2-4 seconds.

That was of course mainly due to the large scoop on the bottom, which was quite effective at filling the fuselage with water as the aircraft was ditched.

That was the main reason they advised bailing out if you could instead. According to the manual, even at only 50'AGL, if you were still flying you should have enough energy to pull back and zoom to at least 500', which should be enough to allow you to jump.

initjust
09-16-2004, 11:38 AM
"Surprisingly I was able to ditch a 1% TBM in CFS2 without it 'exploding', which was the usual fate for the slightest transgresion there. The plane took about 20 seconds or so to sink, maybe a bit longer."

I have successfully ditched several 1% AC in CFS2, the Hellcat, Wildcat, TBD and SBD. I was not successful everytime but I have managed to it in each of these on a fairly consistent basis.

Fliger747
09-18-2004, 06:20 PM
The Avenger was the only 1% that I tried that with, same day I was doing carrier landings with the OS2U Kingfisher "really short landing 'roll'.