PDA

View Full Version : Last seconds request -- it will help reputation of online, promise you Oleg!

M_Gunz
07-24-2007, 11:37 PM
This is something you can list as Feature of the Product.

IL2 and SOW needs user-end chat word filter for those that don't want obscenities showing.

It would need change to the chat, only what displays the chat text and should be user-settable,
perhaps text words listed in INI file so anyone finds a way around can be defeated by add text
to the file.

Those who don't care, don't list text and community can share lists what to block.

Two lists may be better, one as whole words and another as any time the text shows even in the
middle of other text.

Think about people are showing their children into the game, what they see online.
Some day it may be your own young ones as well!

M_Gunz
07-24-2007, 11:37 PM
This is something you can list as Feature of the Product.

IL2 and SOW needs user-end chat word filter for those that don't want obscenities showing.

It would need change to the chat, only what displays the chat text and should be user-settable,
perhaps text words listed in INI file so anyone finds a way around can be defeated by add text
to the file.

Those who don't care, don't list text and community can share lists what to block.

Two lists may be better, one as whole words and another as any time the text shows even in the
middle of other text.

Think about people are showing their children into the game, what they see online.

Eldude95
07-24-2007, 11:41 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif we need stuff like that like you said kids can be playing

Stuntie
07-25-2007, 02:21 AM
I agree. I don't want to know how crass the kiddies can get.
Could make it go BLEEP as well. "you BLEEP BLEEP BLEEPing BLEEP!!!"

Woodstock_69
07-25-2007, 02:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This is something you can list as Feature of the Product.

to the file.

middle of other text.

"My views are solely my own and do not reflect the views of my Squad or
its members"
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's your next major concern? Pictures (nose ART ) of pin ups (nude women! ) on aircrafts?
Are you a fundamentalist or the (Spanish ) Inquisition? Get a life! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

BorisGruschenko
07-25-2007, 03:02 AM
Reminds me of an episode in the 1969 BoB movie where an officer declares jobs in the tactical air control centre as not suitable for female operators because of being confronted with the pilots swearing and using all kinds of profanity via radio. That´s when their spokeswoman says something like: We all got fathers and brothers at home, Sir, so don´t worry, we´re used to it.

DmdSeeker
07-25-2007, 03:56 AM
In which language should the filter operate?
and in which dialect?

should it have a spell checker too?

JG53Frankyboy
07-25-2007, 04:17 AM
killing virtual humans, but wondering about the chat speak........................

this is a war simulation , i think if kids are old enough to "play" war, they should can stand the words !

SUPERAEREO
07-25-2007, 04:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DmdSeeker:
and in which dialect?

should it have a spell checker too? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly.

The idea would be good in principle but a bit difficult to put into practice with all the several languages, dialects, jargons and variations in spelling used online, would it not?

Scorpion.233
07-25-2007, 04:32 AM
If people are cursing they should be removed by an admin. Otherwise you are going to get stuff like 'document', remember.

MaxMhz
07-25-2007, 05:17 AM
"Family" filters are notoriously stupid and unreliable. Any game incorporating them will be totaly ignored by me. If you are annoyed by chat messages, save conf.ini and reduce the chat window to zero http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
Besides, who's gonne program it... oops I forgot - AFTER learning to curse in dozens of languages...

You need to rethink your priorities (and ethics).
Letting kids kill each other online is OK but oh goodness if they should hear or read a curse while doing so... rofl

double standards is what I call that.

PikeBishop
07-25-2007, 06:22 AM
Dear All,
I must be honest here when I say that this idea would be pointless. Children pick up anything that is said very quickly, but do not necessarily use the words themselves. At the end of the day they hear 'bad language' from a million and one sources so it is really futile to try forever to shield them from it. They will judge which words are appropriate for any given situation whatever the parent does and when the parents are not there they will still judge. The only thing one can do is to guide them when they ask about the meaning of words when they hear them......believe me I know.....I have raised 5 children and they are all fine......I just did not waste my time censoring things for them or ANYBODY ELSE!!
Best regards,
SLP

Daiichidoku
07-25-2007, 06:53 AM
IL2SC has a word filter built-in

there ya go

best RL callsign: 428 RCAF: "tampax" flight http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

il2MTS server in HyperLObby has NO rules...in fact, the brief states, basically:

vulching allowed at all time

bad language will NOT get u kicked

etc

no rules....amazing thing, ironically, is that everyone behaves!

M_Gunz
07-25-2007, 07:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Woodstock_69:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This is something you can list as Feature of the Product.

to the file.

middle of other text.

its members"
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's your next major concern? Pictures (nose ART ) of pin ups (nude women! ) on aircrafts?
Are you a fundamentalist or the (Spanish ) Inquisition? Get a life! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

THAT is why I believe it should be on the USER machines instead of servers.
IE, YOU have it as you will and OTHERS can have it as they will.

I for one don't care about language, but then you don't know ME at all. F-word could have
been my middle name for perhaps 20 years there, Bub.

Tell you what, put the nude pinups on your car and take it out in public regularly, see how
much appreciation outside of groups of hard-up boys you get. REALITY is that on PUBLIC
SERVERS you don't know who is there including very young children. It's a GAME.

Hope you don't mind if some people would view a feature that allowed them to screen out
foul language WITHOUT ruining your enjoyment of it as a GOOD THING. Of course there's
going to be some people like you that feel a need for everyone, even CHILDREN to be forced
to see what you want to call Art.

Are you also unhappy about laws against public nudity? Oh how restrictive!
Not only people should have a life, it should HAVE to include what you think it should.

Effing H3LL!

M_Gunz
07-25-2007, 07:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DmdSeeker:
and in which dialect?

That would be where the USER has a list of 'words'. Match the text gets *'s instead.
It's a rather fast and simple text operation that doesn't take much code or memory.
That way you can block such delights as letters seperated by dashes, etc, and other
deliberate $#!+ like that. Get it?

M_Gunz
07-25-2007, 07:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SUPERAEREO:
and in which dialect?

Exactly.

The idea would be good in principle but a bit difficult to put into practice with all the several languages, dialects, jargons and variations in spelling used online, would it not? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, it would be simple to do and entirely universal.
Perhaps only programmers understand how much so, for users it's some form of magic I guess.

M_Gunz
07-25-2007, 08:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PikeBishop:
Dear All,
I must be honest here when I say that this idea would be pointless. Children pick up anything that is said very quickly, but do not necessarily use the words themselves. At the end of the day they hear 'bad language' from a million and one sources so it is really futile to try forever to shield them from it. They will judge which words are appropriate for any given situation whatever the parent does and when the parents are not there they will still judge. The only thing one can do is to guide them when they ask about the meaning of words when they hear them......believe me I know.....I have raised 5 children and they are all fine......I just did not waste my time censoring things for them or ANYBODY ELSE!!
Best regards,
SLP </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Real smart right up until some action group member gets upset and the series gets slammed.
Then it hurts sales when there is no answer.
How about that, I do live in the real world.

As stated in the first post -- IT WOULD ONLY APPLY TO THE PLAYER ON THE PLAYERS MACHINE.

It is not going to spoil your time if someone else filters out text on their machines is it?
Well I guess it will if your enjoyment hinges on what others read.

I suggested it as a FEATURE. Just like the options toggles it is NOT REQUIRED. Nobody is
asking YOU to use it. It would be there for THOSE WHO WANT.

Cripes it's not like I said "take away everybodys guns". Freedom of Speech is one thing but
forcing others to listen is quite another. What does PUBLIC SERVER mean to you?

LEBillfish
07-25-2007, 08:32 AM
Though I understand this would be "client side", meaning each of us would determine what would be limited/shown in our own chat....and FULLY agree with the reason for such a filter, I would have to vote no based on the following.

It would use up resources though minor in the sim....Yet most of all is simply another parents tool to help them not have to parent and be responsible. Ut simply takes upp more time by developers better used elsewhere to do a parents job for them.

Want to be a responsible parent?....Then take an active roll on knowing the servers and the players upon them......Do certain players exceed what you wish...Don't fly with them or let them with you. Which servers don't allow bad language and enforce it by kick/banning those that break the rule and so on.

Everyone now adays wants everyone/thing else to simply make it so they don't have to parent....I myself "for myself" doing the above for me having no need for such foolishness to rediculous extremes.

So though I agree fully with the reason....I disagree with the means. As frankly I'd rather see the community cleaned up of its bad elements and "personally/actively" do my part against them. So be the parent, and drive off that which is bad for your children.

The reason you NEED a filter is that has not been done. It's like taking your kid to a bar instead of a playground....So make it a playground instead, drive out the bad influence and don't allow them back till they clean up their act.

It's called parental & community responsibility or citizenship....It's all our job, not just a program or the mods.

PikeBishop
07-25-2007, 08:43 AM
Dear Max,
Yes that's fine....I missed the bit about the (personal) user and thought for a second you were suggesting that we all get censored for just a handful of people who think that they only know what is right and wrong. Then the boot is on the other foot and just a few seem to be dictating to the rest of us. I get VERY incensed at others trying to tell me what I am allowed to think just because they deem it so. So yep, while I believe that children (my own) should be allowed to judge for themselves from the time that they can talk with guidence if requested, if it does not restrict the silent majority, that's fine with me.
Best regards,
SLP

M_Gunz
07-25-2007, 01:19 PM
Yeah, me too. But give those a way to not be affected and they don't need to attack the game
which BTW IL2 online has already been!

So I figure it's better to ask for a solution than to wait for some magazine to condemn online
playing.

BTW, I think I know you from the old Delphi FSF. If so, I'm Neal and perhaps you remember?
You know that LB is here too?

Woodstock_69
07-25-2007, 02:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">THAT is why I believe it should be on the USER machines instead of servers.
IE, YOU have it as you will and OTHERS can have it as they will.

I for one don't care about language, but then you don't know ME at all. F-word could have
been my middle name for perhaps 20 years there, Bub.

Tell you what, put the nude pinups on your car and take it out in public regularly, see how
much appreciation outside of groups of hard-up boys you get. REALITY is that on PUBLIC
SERVERS you don't know who is there including very young children. It's a GAME.

Hope you don't mind if some people would view a feature that allowed them to screen out
foul language WITHOUT ruining your enjoyment of it as a GOOD THING. Of course there's
going to be some people like you that feel a need for everyone, even CHILDREN to be forced
to see what you want to call Art.

Are you also unhappy about laws against public nudity? Oh how restrictive!
Not only people should have a life, it should HAVE to include what you think it should.

Effing H3LL!

its members"

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

JG54_Lukas
07-26-2007, 01:02 AM
And all he can come back with is two little emoticons. Tells me all I need to know about his maturity level.

Woodstock_69
07-26-2007, 07:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And all he can come back with is two little emoticons. Tells me all I need to know about his maturity level.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...3... No wonder you lost the bloody war... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

JG54_Lukas
07-26-2007, 04:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Woodstock_69:
...3... No wonder you lost the bloody war... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

America lost the war?

Woodstock_69
07-26-2007, 05:57 PM
...Nam... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

PikeBishop
07-27-2007, 03:18 AM
Dear M,
Yep I do remember you but i'm not sure from when (I had a brain op 2-3 years ago and it has affected my memory). So it is difficult for me to place when and where from.......most of it has returned now though, its just the last 5 years or so.
Best regards,
SLP.

BrotherVoodoo
07-29-2007, 08:24 PM
How about speech to text?

Manu-6S
07-30-2007, 01:07 AM
I like Max's idea: it should easy to implement too.

But I think I would not censor words: if a guy is speaking to me I want to understand what he's typing.

M_Gunz
07-30-2007, 11:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PikeBishop:
Dear M,
Yep I do remember you but i'm not sure from when (I had a brain op 2-3 years ago and it has affected my memory). So it is difficult for me to place when and where from.......most of it has returned now though, its just the last 5 years or so.
Best regards,
SLP. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you know if you were a member of the Delphi Flight Sim Forum back in 98 when Sierra had so
much interaction with us?

Very sorry to hear about your operation though I'm sure the alternative was worse. I went
through a bad time myself, almost a year in hell and since then, they call it 'recovery'.
Just hang in and make gains where you will is what's worked for me, but having so little
energy just sucks badly.

PikeBishop
07-31-2007, 05:31 AM
Again I am not sure of this but I do remember that I played Red Baron when my daughter was ill with Leukaemia. (She died in 2002). At the same time a chap online's son also had it. But also he lived right opposite CDC where my wife was at a conference and we never realised that they were so close that this chap could have walked past her without ever knowing it.
Best regards,
SLP

MEGILE
07-31-2007, 09:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG53Frankyboy:
killing virtual humans, but wondering about the chat speak........................

this is a war simulation , i think if kids are old enough to "play" war, they should can stand the words ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

I would out-spell the filter, on principle.