PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Settings

Breeze147
12-16-2005, 07:12 AM
What do you use these different settings for? I have fooled with them but don't notice any effect on performance. Should it be deployed as a cowl shield? Thought I read that somewhere.

Breeze147
12-16-2005, 07:12 AM
What do you use these different settings for? I have fooled with them but don't notice any effect on performance. Should it be deployed as a cowl shield? Thought I read that somewhere.

neural_dream
12-16-2005, 07:39 AM
Theoretically, Radiator ON = more drag -> less speed, but less overheating.

Depends on the plane really, but a typical non-combat setting would be Radiator 6, throttle 95%. When you need to run, Radiator OFF, throttle 110%, WEP and all. When back to safety, Radiator ON for a while to cool faster.

It has been noticed that for some planes the Radiator doesn't seem to do anything good, only add drag. Don't remember which ones.

Kuna15
12-16-2005, 08:04 AM
With closed radiator I can fly on ~90% power and do not overheat. Once above 100% all planes that I have flew (and cared to notice this issue http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) are overheating.

I have always used open radiator to cool down machine but I have noticed some guys saying that radiator do not work at all for cooling just produces more drag (I remember IceFire's post in PF forum).
Never check that out it is quite possible it works that way.

Sturm_Williger
12-16-2005, 08:15 AM
I believe it is some of the radials that overheat at the same time whether the rad is open or not.

Can't remember exactly, but look for the thread mentioned above.

I can't test anything anyway as PC went fizzle..pop.

arjisme
12-16-2005, 09:38 AM
Closed radiator should theoretically provide better protection when in a fight too. Opened/closed can definately impact top speeds.

As for overheating, another strategy is to use prop pitch to keep RPMs down until in a fight. You can leave throttle at 100%, closed radiator and you will not overheat if you are not redlining the engine all the time.