PDA

View Full Version : ? @ Ianboys + others: Can existing maps be enlarged???

mandrill7
12-30-2005, 09:06 AM
Is it feasible to enlarge existing maps to create more real estate to fly over? If so, could someone suggest to Oleg the following add-ons?

1. Ardennes map be enlarged to cover Operation Market Garden and maybe even Antwerp?
2. Gulf of Finland map be enlarged to cover the East side of Lake Ladoga?
3. New Guinea map be enlarged as much as possible north, east and west?
4. Normandy map be enlarged to cover Pas de Calais/ Abbeville area?
5. Kurland map be enlarged to cover Koenigsberg and part of East Prussia?

Hope I'm not asking too much!

mandrill7
12-30-2005, 09:06 AM
Is it feasible to enlarge existing maps to create more real estate to fly over? If so, could someone suggest to Oleg the following add-ons?

1. Ardennes map be enlarged to cover Operation Market Garden and maybe even Antwerp?
2. Gulf of Finland map be enlarged to cover the East side of Lake Ladoga?
3. New Guinea map be enlarged as much as possible north, east and west?
4. Normandy map be enlarged to cover Pas de Calais/ Abbeville area?
5. Kurland map be enlarged to cover Koenigsberg and part of East Prussia?

Hope I'm not asking too much!

SaQSoN
12-30-2005, 09:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can existing maps be enlarged??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No.

The suggested changes may be implemented only by making this maps (again) from scratch.

PS But hardly anyone will do that.

Unknown-Pilot
12-30-2005, 10:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SaQSoN:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can existing maps be enlarged??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's not entirely true.

I'm splitting hairs here, but, you can effectively make a map bigger by manually editing the mission file.

I don't have the link, but someone on this forum posted how to do this. Using the desert map (because featureless terrain isn't a problem with that), he placed objects that were off the grid visible by the ingame map. They were perfectly accessible, you just can't use it as a base to take off from since you can't select it in the arming screen. But you can use it as a target, for scripted servers, or extra place to land, or whatever.

Not exactly what the thread starter was getting at, I realize, like I said, I was splitting hairs, but technically, it is possible - in a sense. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

lowfighter
12-30-2005, 01:35 PM
Or can some maps be redrawn? For example Stalingrad, I mean rebuild only a credible Stalingrad city on this map, you don't need to be a historian to see it looks completely unrealistic, a city from Mars perhaps. This map is really important, they are saying Stalingrad it's the turning point of wwII. I would be very happy!
Cheers!

PS: Stalingrad is the russian AND german legend of WWII. Americans have Omaha Beach and Guadalcanal. Englishmen have Arnhen Bridge.

mandrill7
12-30-2005, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the responses.

Unknown-Pilot semi-answered my next ?. I am thinking it may be possible to graft the Coral Sea map (all ocean) onto the Okinawa map at the north end. 2 or 3 Coral Sea maps would equal (????) maybe the distance between Okinawa and Kyushu. You could then place Kyushu on the north end of the last Coral Sea map and have a realistic "full immersion" intruder raid from Oki to Japan for summer 45.

Not totally accurate as you wouldn't have the intervening small islands; but not bad.

Unknown-Pilot
12-30-2005, 03:38 PM
Mandrill, unless you have some way of creating an island through the FMB, you won't be able to do that. You can place objects "off the map", but not land masses.

Unless I mis-read your post.

Search this forum for infinite maps or something to that extent. It was a while back, so you might have to do a lot of sifting to find it, but there was pretty much step by step instructions in there IIRC.

LEXX_Luthor
12-30-2005, 05:11 PM
UnkownPilot, you can manually place Test Runways far off the map edge -- just place a TR in FMB and later change the position numbers in the mission text file. Aircraft operate to and from the distant Test Runways as normal. In fact, all aircraft and surface unit operations perform normally off the map edge.

What we need is the ability to place basic landscape textures --- Forest sheets for example. In the New Euro map, IanBoys has shown us that we can have different basic land textures offmap. If we could place these textures ourselves off the map edge, we could construct massive maps of theaters we are interested in for Offline dynamic campaigns.

Unknown-Pilot
12-30-2005, 05:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
UnkownPilot, you can manually place Test Runways far off the map edge -- just place a TR in FMB and later change the position numbers in the mission text file. Aircraft operate to and from the distant Test Runways as normal. In fact, all aircraft and surface unit operations perform normally off the map edge.

What we need is the ability to place basic landscape textures --- Forest sheets for example. In the New Euro map, IanBoys has shown us that we can have different basic land textures offmap. If we could place these textures ourselves off the map edge, we could construct massive maps of theaters we are interested in for Offline dynamic campaigns. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um..... that's exactly what I said above... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Just a miscommunication I think. We're on the same page either way. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

vocatx
12-31-2005, 08:34 PM
Bearcat started a thread a while back on ideas for things to include in or improve FB/PF. I honestly haven't kept up with the thread, so I don't know if anyone ever commented on whether or not my idea is feasable or possible.

Would it not be possible to graft maps together, like suggested above by Mandrill by placing, for lack of a better word, "generic terrain" between the two maps? For instance, the Okinawa map and Kyushu maps. I know there are islands that wouldn't be represented between the two, but most are very small. You could just put "generic ocean" textures for X number of grids between the two.

That would allow for an aircraft to take-off from Okinawa and make a bombing run on Kyushu, then return. It wouldn't necessarily have to be to historic distances, but would greatly expand the areas we have to work with now.

I am not a programmer, and am not sure how this works, so it may be a pipe dream. All I know is that FS 2004 maps the entire world. The ground detail is nothing like what we have, but the major terrain features are there. I live in a very out of the way rural area, and I can recognize several landmarks in my area in FS.

Unknown-Pilot
12-31-2005, 10:27 PM
Oleg's team could do anything they want to do. But there's no way that we could do what you suggest. It would have to be an "inside job". And it could even be a whole new map, not just a "splice", in that case.

You could cheat though. If it's an online thing, well, it should be an air start near the target anyway, this is a game and should be for fun. That's just my opinion, but those hours you spend doing nothing while you wait to reach the target (without time compression), you can't get back. That's a slice of your life gone, just passively watching scenery slide by. (As stated, just my view, but still...)

But(!), the options are -
- Air start near target, if online this is practical and merciful. If offline, you'd use time compression anyway, so 6 in one, half dozen in the other.

- Use 3 maps. This one could be tricky for a scripted DF server, but for COOPs, you could make a 3 part COOP, take off, mid flight, and target. Then just manually rotate through them

- Construct an "island" out of placeable runway objects and those cliffs and whatnot else, then using the manual edit, move them as far off the map as you'd like. You'd be flying blind, but you could make it as large as you want, it'd all be ocean anyway.

All of them are kludges, but short of Oleg releasing new maps, it's as close as you're gonna manage.

Edit - found the link to the thread with the instructions for extending the maps -
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/50910533/m/517100134/r/676109544