PDA

View Full Version : Falcon 4.0: Allied Force or LOMAC?

xxcurarexx
08-21-2005, 09:47 AM
Hello all,

I'll always be an avid IL2 fan, but every once in a while you crave something a little different, know what I mean? I'd like to try a modern air combat sim, and I trust this community to know a good sim. So my question is:

Which would you all recommend I buy, Falcon 4.0 Allied Force or Lock On: Modern Air Combat? and why?

From what I've read, Lock ON has better graphics and more planes, but Falcon 4.0 supposedly has an incredibly immersive dynamic campaign. What I'm really interested in, though, is the quality of the gameplay. So which one to go with...

I'm asking you guys primarily because I'm having trouble finding a lot of reviews of Falcon, and also I know that Lock On was very buggy out of the box and I'm wondering if the patches have done a good job of fixing it.

xxcurarexx
08-21-2005, 09:47 AM
Hello all,

I'll always be an avid IL2 fan, but every once in a while you crave something a little different, know what I mean? I'd like to try a modern air combat sim, and I trust this community to know a good sim. So my question is:

Which would you all recommend I buy, Falcon 4.0 Allied Force or Lock On: Modern Air Combat? and why?

From what I've read, Lock ON has better graphics and more planes, but Falcon 4.0 supposedly has an incredibly immersive dynamic campaign. What I'm really interested in, though, is the quality of the gameplay. So which one to go with...

I'm asking you guys primarily because I'm having trouble finding a lot of reviews of Falcon, and also I know that Lock On was very buggy out of the box and I'm wondering if the patches have done a good job of fixing it.

LeadSpitter_
08-21-2005, 10:35 AM
Theres more online players in falcon 4.0 allied force, but lomac has better graphics and less players online.

campaign and everything is more in depth with falcon 4.0 af

you can get them both on ebay for less then 10-5 bucks, both are worth having if you like modern jet sims.

MEGILE
08-21-2005, 10:59 AM
Both.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LEXX_Luthor
08-21-2005, 06:08 PM
So, you can fly more than just F-16?

Angola addon for F4

~> http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=83331&page=1&pp=50 (http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=83331&page=1&pp=50)

If true, this could make F4 bury The Lomacs, unless the Eagle Devs can somehow figure out they need to go 1950-1970 era.

Dammerung
08-21-2005, 06:18 PM
LOMAC, best flight model on a PC simulation, ever. Hands down. Period. End of Discussion.

BaldieJr
08-21-2005, 06:23 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Lomac is ok. Falcon is pretty darned cool. Follow Megile. Get both.

Lucius_Esox
08-21-2005, 09:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">LOMAC, best flight model on a PC simulation, ever. Hands down. Period. End of Discussion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Errr, are you sure about that?

In terms of depth there isn't a comparison Falcon 4 in all it's variants is vastly superior. Maybe it's because it only models one plane,,,, Less=more.. Oleg.

alert_1
08-22-2005, 01:31 AM
LOMAC has the very best gxf I ever seen (IMO, of course). Everything oter aspect is just questionable: poor AI give you tons of frustration, no DC (or even semi DC), avionics is not too detailed and often simplyfied (compared to F4AF/Janes F18). Only Su25T has realisitic FM but it's very rare bird in RL (only few prototypes ever built). Missles have not realistic FM modelled.
For more info have a look at "native" forum http://www.lockon.ru

Xiolablu3
08-22-2005, 01:58 AM
Does lockon run ok on 2days PCs?

When it first came out I remember a LOT of complaints about the framerate.

GAU-8
08-22-2005, 02:23 AM
get both.

LOMAC should runn pretty good on a current machine.. mine is not "game lord heaven " by anymeans and it runs absolutely flawless with everthing maxed out

my basic specs: 2 gig of RAM, AMD 64 3000, and a newly acquired nvidia 6800 ultra.

before that it was the nvidia 5500, it was playable , but you knew you were missing out, with almost everything set to low. you dont need the massive graphic card, but i would not recommend anything at or below the 5500's value. but thats just my experience.

DadeBoy
08-22-2005, 09:40 AM
Get both games.-

Platypus_1.JaVA
08-22-2005, 10:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">my basic specs: 2 gig of RAM, AMD 64 3000, and a newly acquired nvidia 6800 ultra.

before that it was the nvidia 5500, it was playable , but you knew you were missing out, with almost everything set to low. you dont need the massive graph </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After playing Falcon 4.0 (with several third party additions) for quite some time, Lock-On felt a bit like a kiddy game. Even the Falcon 4.0 Out of the box product is a more realistic jet simulation with excellent AI and communications. Falcon 4.0 ATC is able to "talk" someone down. You just tell them you want to land and if you follow the instructions, you will be set-up for a straight approach of the current runway at the correct altitude. Lock-on also feels like it has been rushed onto the markets to make lots of money really fast. Many menu options seems illogical to me and things like changing load-outs is much easier with Falcon 4.0. Falcon 4.0 is better developped, even the out of the box product from many years ago. Of course it is allready the 4.o version. I played falcon 1.0 as a kid and that was in the late 80 IIRC. So, the developpers got quite some experience. Flying te F-16 in falcon 4.0 is also alot more relaxed and realistic then in LOMAC. I never have flown a real combat jet but, it should be easier then in LOMAC. In that sim, I always got my handfull with just flying level. i never had that with falcon 4.0. Flying the F-16 was very easy to do, like it should in a fly-by-wire aircraft. Falcon 4.0 allied force gives you full control over all the avionics the real F-16 has. And the third party community makes it possible to fly other aircraft then the F-16. But, you can notice they have a less advanced FM. And of course, since Falcon 4.0 is essentially more then 5 years old, LOMAC looks alot better. Not that Falcon 4.0 is ugly but, far from that but, you can see its age.

Conclusion:

Lomac
Pro: Nice to have some Russian aircraft flyable
Looks exceptionally good
Con: poor AI
poor FM
clumsy menu's
simplified avionics in some cases (even on full real)

Falcon 4.0
Pro: Realistic FM and relaxed interaction with the aircraft you are flying.
Very detailed and realistic avionics (no point and shoot sim)
AI and interaction with AI controlled Identities (inflight comms)
Con: Graphics
Steep learning curve in Full Real (I hope allied force also has the extensive manual that was with the package when Falcon 4.0 first came out.)

Anyways, it all depends on what you want in a sim.