PDA

View Full Version : Frozen cursor when starting IL2

RPMcMurphy
01-06-2009, 04:42 PM
...anyone else have this problem?
About half the time when I start the game my mouse will not work and I have to Ctrl-Alt-Del and that results in Sturmovik being in the "tray" at the bottom of my desktop and I just click that, the game starts again and then the mouse works. Sometimes that doesnt work so I have to quit completely and start it over.
Dagnab Galdarn thang is starting to get annoying.

RPMcMurphy
01-06-2009, 04:42 PM
About half the time when I start the game my mouse will not work and I have to Ctrl-Alt-Del and that results in Sturmovik being in the "tray" at the bottom of my desktop and I just click that, the game starts again and then the mouse works. Sometimes that doesnt work so I have to quit completely and start it over.
Dagnab Galdarn thang is starting to get annoying.

Bobbo_Tabor
01-06-2009, 04:55 PM
I get that sometimes. I fund just ALT+TAB back and forth from the desk top clears that right up

WTE_Galway
01-06-2009, 04:57 PM
yeah my install does that

though if i wander off and make coffee it eventually fixes itself by the time i come back

I dont control-alt-delete for an instant fix, I find I can hit the "start" button and then move the mouse into the application bar at the bottom and click on IL2 and fix it that way

arjisme
01-06-2009, 05:01 PM
Once you double click the IL2 icon to start the game, do not click on your desktop while waiting for the game to start. If you do, that puts the mouse focus on the desktop and the game will not be able to control it. Alt-TAB apparently does give the game control of the mouse.

May not clear up all situations, but this is when I notice I get the problem.

Sirrith
01-06-2009, 05:19 PM
alt tab works for me every time

Zeus-cat
01-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Alt Tab usually works for me, but sometimes I have to go into another application and click on something. When I go back to IL-2 the mouse is fine.

stalkervision
01-06-2009, 06:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RPMcMurphy:
Dagnab Galdarn thang is starting to get annoying. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

RPMcMurphy
01-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Hmm, I thought it was just me having that trouble.
I geuss we can all suffer together.

na85
01-06-2009, 09:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RPMcMurphy:
Dagnab Galdarn thang is starting to get annoying. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a bug related to which window has the focus. What happens to me is if I start IL2 while another window is open (like teamspeak) then IL2 doesn't grab focus like it's supposed to and I get the frozen mouse issue you describe.

Alt-tabbing in and out has fixed it for me 100% of the time. Doesn't annoy me at all; it's a 5-second fix to alt-tab out and then back in.

Friendly_flyer
01-06-2009, 11:56 PM
I thought I was the only one...

Feathered_IV
01-07-2009, 02:43 AM
I have it too. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

dirkpit7
01-07-2009, 03:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ar****e:
Once you double click the IL2 icon to start the game, do not click on your desktop while waiting for the game to start. If you do, that puts the mouse focus on the desktop and the game will not be able to control it. Alt-TAB apparently does give the game control of the mouse.

May not clear up all situations, but this is when I notice I get the problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This works for me too. Don't press any button, don't even move the mouse while the game launches.

R_Target
01-07-2009, 07:30 AM
I get it sometimes too. I usually just kill it in the Task Manager and start over. What happens to me much more frequently is that IL2 continues to run as a process after I quit the game.

TinyTim
01-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Like na85 suggested, I think it's not a completely random event. Anyway, whenever it happens to me, I just alt-tab out and in again, 2 seconds and it's fixed. I never needed to terminate a program and run it again.

nealn
01-07-2009, 09:17 AM
Wow! I have put up with this for sometime as well. Nice to know that I am not the only one, though sorry others also have to deal with it.

My solution is I hit the little windows thingy on the keyboard. It brings me back to the desk top, then I click on the IL2 program tab at the bottom and I a ready to go.

Neal

iroseland
01-07-2009, 11:07 AM
I have this happen to me a lot...

defiantly a window focus problem, so I try to minimize everything on the desktop before launch, and when I am online I keep my hands off the sticks until loaded enough to be safe. Kind of annoying when folks on teamspeak start talking to me during loadup.. But I don't like having to fumble around for the keyboard when I am supposed to be simming.. 8^)

BSS_AIJO

Mr_Zooly
01-07-2009, 11:17 AM
I happens when I use the mouse after starting the game, as mentioned there is always alt tab.

willyvic
01-08-2009, 12:07 AM
Used to happen to me if my desktop res and game res were not the same. Ie; desktop 1280x1024 and game at 1024x768 or 1280x960. Alt Tab would normally clear it. Nowdays it very rarely happens.

WV

Stingray333
01-08-2009, 12:50 AM
Yo, same problem happens to me. I find that if I double-click on the il2 icon, do not click anymore mouse buttons at all (like the desktop), and that I wiggle the mouse a bit while Il2 is loading that it usually doesn't happen... sometimes it does, I alt-tab to desktop, click on desktop, back to Il2, usually clears it up.. annoying still though,

Stingray

TheCrux
01-08-2009, 06:24 AM
Another joins the club.

19 launches out of 20, I get this problem, and yes, I know it's focus related as I bring up TS and TIR ( and sometimes Hyperlobby ) before lauching the game.

Funny thing is, "alt tab" never works: For me it's hit the "windows" icon key, then click on the IL-2 tab in the task manager...then hit the windows key again ( which brings up the desktop ) then hit the IL-2 tab in the task manager again...then I'm good to go. The whole thing takes 10-15 seconds. Nothing else works. Of course, since not touching anything while the game loads rarely works, I gave up and feel free to communicate on TS while everything loads.

DIRTY-MAC
01-08-2009, 08:40 AM
+1

Mercanario
01-08-2009, 02:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DIRTY-MAC:
+1 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>i have the same problem..i wonder if the mod guys can figure out a solution?

FoolTrottel
01-08-2009, 02:28 PM
There's no need for a 'solution'...

Just setup and use your computer the correct way.

Follow some simple rules:
- Make sure all is quiet on the Desktop front, before you fire up IL2. (Have no other applications running that can take the focus... no chattin', no downloads... autoupdates of Ms or virusscanners should be turned off... Even TS should not be a problem... TS Display maybe... I dunno... I use a different computer to run TS on)
- Make sure all stays quiet there...

Here's a tip: Select the IL2 icon with the mouse. Then let go of the mouse.
(Grab the joystick if you're having trouble with feeling 'out of control' http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif )
Hit the Enter key and then just wait till IL2 starts... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Have Fun!

Mercanario
01-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Ive been experimenting and what seems to be working for me is ive pinned the il2fb.exe shortcut to the start menu, i click once from there and it has been loading smoothly..no probs.

RPMcMurphy
01-10-2009, 10:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mercanario:
Ive been experimenting and what seems to be working for me is ive pinned the il2fb.exe shortcut to the start menu, i click once from there and it has been loading smoothly..no probs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I tried that and it works but only if I use FoolTrottles method:
Select IL2 icon with the mouse. Prees 'enter'
Sit back, don't touch **** and wait.

Problem solved.

I'm glad I don't have to deal with that anymore.

( Now watch, now that I've said that it'll probly happen agin.)

mortoma
01-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Also ctrl, alt and delete will clear this up. As soon as you exit that app, you're free to go back to the game.

WTE_Ibis
01-10-2009, 11:48 PM
I only get this problem if I move the mouse after I click the shortcut and while IL2 is loading.
It works perfectly every time if I don't touch the mouse during the loading.
cheers.

LEXX_Luthor
01-10-2009, 11:57 PM
Strange, I got this all the time when I first started out with (don't laff) Trident integrated motherboard video, and figured out an Alt+Tab+Esc trick or something like that. After I got my ATI-9200, it stopped happening *snap* just like that.

horseback
01-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Wow, let's form a support group.

It happens to me about once every two or three weeks, and the 'fix' is as the original poster suggests: contol-alt-delete or control escape to send it down to the Task Manager bar at the bottom of the screen, then pull it back up.

No sweat.

Like zits, it happens to most everybody.

cheers

horseback

stalkervision
01-11-2009, 07:50 PM
you know when the mouse cursor problem starts for me. When I put oleg patches on the original cd game. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif Every time I have to reload windows and clear my old programs because of experimenting with new software when I reload the original 1946 and then the patches this always happens. In it's original form before I patch it it doesn't do it a bit! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

TheCrux
01-12-2009, 08:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by horseback:
Wow, let's form a support group.

It happens to me about once every two or three weeks, and the 'fix' is as the original poster suggests: contol-alt-delete or control escape to send it down to the Task Manager bar at the bottom of the screen, then pull it back up.

No sweat.

Like zits, it happens to most everybody.

cheers

horseback </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif Word. It's mildly annoying, but I can live with it.

RPMcMurphy
09-28-2009, 11:13 PM
I hate to revive an old topic, but I have noticed one thing;
Since my other computer crashed about three months ago I pulled out this older one that I have and I un-installed Norton on this computer.
No worries since I don't do any kind of shopping or any sensitive personal stuff on this PC at-all and besides I use other types of anti-virus programs.

The thing that I have noticed since I uninstalled Norton is that I have'nt had that nagging problem of a frozen-cursor when the game starts up. With Norton installed the frozen-cursor problem continued. But since Norton is gone, no more frozen cursor.

Not one-single-time.

It must be related somehow.
I just thought I would put that in there because , I find it interesting.

doraemil
09-29-2009, 12:41 AM
This has been discussed in the 1c forums . . .

generally, in XP, IL-2 to alt tab properly needs to have another folder, my computer or something else running to alt tab to.

Such as notepad (I have my controls in notepad and have that up).

Also if you start IL-2, it takes some time to get to the start screen or to run the little Pac fighter's zero and us carrier takeoff movie.

Well if your PC or you run anything else in that interim, IL-2 will start up and the cursor will be stuck / you can't use your mouse until you alt tab out.