PDA

View Full Version : BoB:Damage management

Skoshi Tiger
07-20-2007, 07:06 AM
In another thread someone posted

In BoB there will be an increase in the number of items that can be damaged, from coolant radiators to tires. I also recall Oleg saying that structural damage will reduce the load limits for a part of the plane. So, for example, if you wing is damaged it'll be more likely to collapse in a hard turn.

Now this poses a few questions. If I'm attacked and lets say a tire has been shot out. How would it be possible for me to find out?

Even if it was my fuel or hydraulics and I had instrument damage or something that would normaly show up, would I be able to get my wing man to do a flyby and check me out (al la bridges of Toko Re)?

Even if it was only in multipayer, will the detail level of our 3d models be good enough for someone to pick out damage like a blown tyre or a fluid leak?

This is a potentialy life or death situation! Nobody would consider doing a gears down landing with a blown tyre, but would do a nice gentle gears up on the grass beside the strip would be a definite option.

If We have an increased damage model surely there should be some way of finding out what the damage was without having to cheat????

What do you think?

Skoshi Tiger
07-20-2007, 07:06 AM
In another thread someone posted

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
In BoB there will be an increase in the number of items that can be damaged, from coolant radiators to tires. I also recall Oleg saying that structural damage will reduce the load limits for a part of the plane. So, for example, if you wing is damaged it'll be more likely to collapse in a hard turn. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now this poses a few questions. If I'm attacked and lets say a tire has been shot out. How would it be possible for me to find out?

Even if it was my fuel or hydraulics and I had instrument damage or something that would normaly show up, would I be able to get my wing man to do a flyby and check me out (al la bridges of Toko Re)?

Even if it was only in multipayer, will the detail level of our 3d models be good enough for someone to pick out damage like a blown tyre or a fluid leak?

This is a potentialy life or death situation! Nobody would consider doing a gears down landing with a blown tyre, but would do a nice gentle gears up on the grass beside the strip would be a definite option.

If We have an increased damage model surely there should be some way of finding out what the damage was without having to cheat????

What do you think?

Manos1
07-20-2007, 09:08 AM
well, how was it in real life ?

FritzGryphon
07-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Your wingman couldn't tell you if your main spar was shot through.

However, your wingman could tell you that you have bullet holes in your wing. These are already in IL-2.

Though it might be cool to have hydraulic leaks, even if there isn't, it's simple enough to test your gear and flaps.

Skoshi Tiger
07-20-2007, 09:10 PM
But when we drop our gear, will the shreded tyre be modeled for our wingman to eyeball?

There was always the slow flyby of the tower as well as your wing man, but like you said there is only so much that you can tell with a pair of binoculas!

Hmmm! Did't the British planes have a lot of pheumatic systems for things like guns, flaps and such? I guess a tell tale hissing noise would be the diagnostic for that one?
I hope I'm not getting too excited about the possiblities. (I have been told I can be quite an excitable chappie!) Still there is ONLY 5-18 months (give or take two weeks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif) before our questions will be answered!

Bearcat99
07-22-2007, 02:38 PM
You might not know until you tried to land... even if the tire came down... it might not look flat. You would know upon landing right away if your plane listed to one side.