PDA

View Full Version : Why does bombs and torpedos and stuff not explode, after the player get killed?

JG53-Falkster
10-12-2005, 01:02 PM
Is there a reason behind this, or is it a forgotten bug. I hope this will change someone one day.

Some missions would have been won, if it would be like in real.........

JG53-Falkster
10-12-2005, 01:02 PM
Is there a reason behind this, or is it a forgotten bug. I hope this will change someone one day.

Some missions would have been won, if it would be like in real.........

fuser59
10-12-2005, 06:07 PM
Here we go with your first big BUMP !!! to this thread... LOL

ElAurens
10-12-2005, 06:57 PM
I agree 100%.

This needs to be changed.

p1ngu666
10-12-2005, 08:34 PM
bump, really annoyin for us mud movers, who get matyred a moment too soon..

Jetbuff
10-12-2005, 09:39 PM
I suspect it's related to log tracking and the object-oriented nature of the code. i.e. any bombs/torpedos you launch are linked to the spawning object (your plane) and cease to exist once the latter ceases to exist. I further suspect that fixing it would require a more in-depth rewriting of some of the core code than you realize and therefore don't expect it to be fixed soon.

Fortunately, there is a great workaround: don't die! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

ianboys
10-13-2005, 02:40 AM
Simulates duds.

KGr.HH-Sunburst
10-13-2005, 04:54 AM
once in a while a Dud would be cool though, i'd rather have duds then my bombs getting all sentimental dying with me all the time

ElAurens
10-13-2005, 05:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ianboys:
Simulates duds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Odd, I never have a dud whilst I'm alive...

SlickStick
10-13-2005, 07:41 AM
It was implemented to fix a bug of re-spawning with unlimited ammo. At least, as far as I remember, it had something to do with not being able to assign the "kill" or "damage" to anyone since the pilot died. However, seems like a workaround, than an actual fix.

I had posted eons ago about this and found it very strange that a torpedo or bomb would not be effective if the pilot died before impact/detonation.

It also happens when on a server with flyable AI planes and someone thinks they can blow you up with a Mistel. It usually takes them about three or four tries before they realize that because they are instantly dying at detonation, that the Mistel is not causing any damage upon impact. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

LEBillfish
10-13-2005, 08:52 AM
Actually though this feature may prevent suicide missions for points.....it also prevents actual Kamikazi missions from being effective.

Tooz_69GIAP
10-13-2005, 08:59 AM
I emailed Oleg about this some time ago, and got a response from him. He said it is a known bug, and they have no intention of fixing it.

Bombs, etc, detonate fine offline, but not online. I tested this, sending tracks to Oleg. But it's not gonna get sorted.

TAGERT.
10-13-2005, 09:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG53-Falkster:

Some missions would have been won, if it would be like in real......... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I kind of like the fact that the game does that.. tends to limit the brave john wayne types from doing the kamakazie types of attacks in that a sim life is not worth much. But if you at least have to stay alive for the bomb or torp to work, it kind of forces you to attack the targt in a more realistic style.. thus forcing a psydo realistic fear of death into the game.

ManicGibber
10-13-2005, 08:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TAGERT.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG53-Falkster:

Some missions would have been won, if it would be like in real......... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I kind of like the fact that the game does that.. tends to limit the brave john wayne types from doing the kamakazie types of attacks in that a sim life is not worth much. But if you at least have to stay alive for the bomb or torp to work, it kind of forces you to attack the targt in a more realistic style.. thus forcing a psydo realistic fear of death into the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your forgetting one thing though TAGERT, the Japanese weren't afraid of dieing for the cause "in real life" which makes "a more realistic style" sort of mute.

TgD Thunderbolt56
10-17-2005, 08:12 AM
One of the few things I have a problem with in this sim. I find myself dropping bombs on ships with attempted precision from 2k+ and dodging the flak afterwards as though my life really did depend on it.

I haven't had the time to check, but does a successful bomb drop that isn't enough to sink a ship still do noticeable damage (i.e. some of the AA guns silenced) or is it an all-or-nothing proposition?

TB

Kuna15
10-17-2005, 11:08 AM
Indeed that is strange. However we aren't going to have it fixed. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Tooz_69GIAP
10-17-2005, 11:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
One of the few things I have a problem with in this sim. I find myself dropping bombs on ships with attempted precision from 2k+ and dodging the flak afterwards as though my life really did depend on it.

I haven't had the time to check, but does a successful bomb drop that isn't enough to sink a ship still do noticeable damage (i.e. some of the AA guns silenced) or is it an all-or-nothing proposition?

TB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On the PF ships you see guns get knocked out, and on all the capital ships in the game, you see plumes of black smoke before the ship goes down. Same on cargo ships - if you hit them enough, they wont sink but they will have a big pillar of smoke rising from them.

BSS_Vidar
10-17-2005, 12:25 PM
Didn't you guys know? During WWII, torps stopped running and sank to the bottom if your plane got shot down before weapon impact. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Yeah, this is a big fix that needs to be taken care of. In Lock On, if you launch a Maverick at a SAM site, and AAA wacks you. If your plane hits the ground before the Maverick hits its target, you Maverick is still live and strikes IF you got a proper lock on before launch.

ElAurens
10-17-2005, 04:29 PM
If you strafe or use rockets on a destroyer you will damage it's life boats as well.