PDA

View Full Version : Notes on the B-17

darkhorizon11
05-26-2004, 12:44 PM
Don't worry this isn't a whine about how much I want a flyable fortress. Normally I fly American planes and the German jets, but one of my favorite scenarios to reproduce is the high altitude bombing of German cities. In this case I ussually like to fly a 109 or a 190 and try to rip through the formations. Since I fly these missions semi often I've noticed a few characteristics about the Fortress I'd like to note:

1. I can't figure out what action constitutes the crew bailing out. Sometimes I'll only score a few minor hits, not even flame an engine and the crew will bail from a perfectly good plane. Other times after a catastrophic failure they will remain in the plane and the pilot desperately will try to control a rudderless or stabilizerless plane. Trust me its futile, then they either don't bail, or bail with about 100m alt. and are toast.

2. The damage model is much improved and realistic from what I can tell (I didn't fly in WWII and don't pretend to be an expert).

3. Another thing I like is that when you get in really close the pilot applies full right or left rudder. This allows a ventral gunner along with the tail gunner and the top gunner all to have a relatively clear shot (no empennage surfaces are in the way). This isn't just the B17 though.

4. Another little glitch that isn't common (I've only seen it twice), is that the computer cheats on a rudderless plane. One B17 I rocked lost its rudder and began yawing out of control because of keel effect (which is realistic). The yawing became so bad that the nose of the plane was almost perpendicular to the relative wind before spinning and crashing (also realistic). Another time the pilot tried pitching up to stabilize the aircraft. So ridicously so that at two instances the aircraft was actually pointed vertical yet traveling horizontally with the nose perpindicular from the RW pointed straight up. Follow me? Then all of a sudden the Fort. warped (yes warped) 180 degrees and suddenly was flying the way pointed straight down. Pretty much a cheat and the pilot was in a dive and was able to recover. This radical manevuer happened two times, before the plane crashed anyways.

5. Another high point is that every now and then bombers do collide! Which is very realistic although it only happens when one battle damaged plane loses control and hits another. It should be noted that collisions were quite common in low visibility during the war and considered to almost as much of a threat as flak and enemy fighters.

6. Other random times when flying in formation the bombers like to wildly pitch up and down for no reason. Not because of battle damage the sometimes just random pitch and down 100-150 meters or so...

These are my two cents I was wondering if anyone has had any similiar experiences?

darkhorizon11
05-26-2004, 12:44 PM
Don't worry this isn't a whine about how much I want a flyable fortress. Normally I fly American planes and the German jets, but one of my favorite scenarios to reproduce is the high altitude bombing of German cities. In this case I ussually like to fly a 109 or a 190 and try to rip through the formations. Since I fly these missions semi often I've noticed a few characteristics about the Fortress I'd like to note:

1. I can't figure out what action constitutes the crew bailing out. Sometimes I'll only score a few minor hits, not even flame an engine and the crew will bail from a perfectly good plane. Other times after a catastrophic failure they will remain in the plane and the pilot desperately will try to control a rudderless or stabilizerless plane. Trust me its futile, then they either don't bail, or bail with about 100m alt. and are toast.

2. The damage model is much improved and realistic from what I can tell (I didn't fly in WWII and don't pretend to be an expert).

3. Another thing I like is that when you get in really close the pilot applies full right or left rudder. This allows a ventral gunner along with the tail gunner and the top gunner all to have a relatively clear shot (no empennage surfaces are in the way). This isn't just the B17 though.

4. Another little glitch that isn't common (I've only seen it twice), is that the computer cheats on a rudderless plane. One B17 I rocked lost its rudder and began yawing out of control because of keel effect (which is realistic). The yawing became so bad that the nose of the plane was almost perpendicular to the relative wind before spinning and crashing (also realistic). Another time the pilot tried pitching up to stabilize the aircraft. So ridicously so that at two instances the aircraft was actually pointed vertical yet traveling horizontally with the nose perpindicular from the RW pointed straight up. Follow me? Then all of a sudden the Fort. warped (yes warped) 180 degrees and suddenly was flying the way pointed straight down. Pretty much a cheat and the pilot was in a dive and was able to recover. This radical manevuer happened two times, before the plane crashed anyways.

5. Another high point is that every now and then bombers do collide! Which is very realistic although it only happens when one battle damaged plane loses control and hits another. It should be noted that collisions were quite common in low visibility during the war and considered to almost as much of a threat as flak and enemy fighters.

6. Other random times when flying in formation the bombers like to wildly pitch up and down for no reason. Not because of battle damage the sometimes just random pitch and down 100-150 meters or so...

These are my two cents I was wondering if anyone has had any similiar experiences?