PDA

View Full Version : Joysticks? what is a good one

thunder060
03-07-2005, 05:51 PM
I have had two Sidewinder2 FF joysticks, but both of my get a lot of play in the middle,.. and suggestion on a good ones that works good, and holds up ... thanks

mortoma
03-07-2005, 06:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thunder060:
I have had two Sidewinder2 FF joysticks, but both of my get a lot of play in the middle,.. and suggestion on a good ones that works good, and holds up ... thanks <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Anything from CH is good. I have a pair of CH rudder pedals that have lasted 3 years so far and still no spikes from the pots inside. They hold up well. They only offer USB no though, stopped making the gameports a few months ago.

3.JG51_BigBear
03-07-2005, 06:27 PM
I switched to the Saitek Cybor Evo. Its not nearly in the same class as CH products but its dirt cheap and has a fantastic $ to button ratio. Saitek also has a nifty little program that turns the joystick buttons into a keyboard so you get two shift keys that triple the number of functions you can have on the stick. The Saiteck also lets you turn the hat switch into a mouse so you can get the same ability to pan your view in cockpit that you get if you used the mouse.

I was a die hard MSFF2 fan but had to stop using mine after hand surgery, something about the grip just drove me nuts. I actually like not having the force feedback, it was throwing off my aim.

PapaG39
03-07-2005, 07:06 PM
I have settled on the CH Fighterstick and the Saitek X45 Power lever. then U add the CH pedals & track IR & it works very nicly.

Crash_Moses
03-07-2005, 07:30 PM
I recommend searching e-bay for an old Thrustmaster F-22 joystick and TQS throttle. Best combo on the market in it's day (replaced by the $300 Couger).

The F-22 has 19lb. springs so if you don't use trim you might want to start.

Programming is problematic but possible with a boot disk. If you can snag a couple of Bob Church's digital chips you'll be able to map all the buttons through the PF control settings. Just do a Google search.

argnan
03-07-2005, 09:22 PM
I would suggest to buy Saitek x-52 The Ultimate joystick for sim.flying only.....

horseback
03-07-2005, 09:57 PM
I've used a CH Products Combatstick, Pro Throttle, and Pro Pedals for two + years now of close to 15 hours a week hard use without a glitch. My $ to hour of use ratio is miniscule, and my setup allows me 30 buttons + a POV hat.

cheers

horseback

LuckyBoy1
03-07-2005, 10:23 PM
CH

strewth
03-08-2005, 01:30 AM
Been looking for a decent throttle control for some time.

Found the Saitek X52 and had to buy the combo or nothing. So bought it Friday just gone.

Great throttle for the price and so I decided to try out the joystick out of interest. Disconnected my old trusty MS SWFFB and tested the new stick (purely from interest). I am yet to go back to MS. No FFB on the X52 but great feel. Programmed the lower hat on thew JS for left and right engine. Great for taxying in twin engines. Yet to try on the P38 out in combat for turning advantage. Very quick to select inside engine in turn and back right off, then as coming out push hat up and select all engines.

Bearcat99
03-08-2005, 07:06 AM
What could you possibly be doing to those sticks? LOL... I have the same one I have had since 02 and it works fine and I use it every day....... My original still works too fron 01.. my son uses it now though.

DRB_Hookech0
03-08-2005, 08:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Crash_Moses:
I recommend searching e-bay for an old Thrustmaster F-22 joystick and TQS throttle. Best combo on the market in it's day (replaced by the $300 Couger).

The F-22 has 19lb. springs so if you don't use trim you might want to start.

Programming is problematic but possible with a boot disk. If you can snag a couple of Bob Church's digital chips you'll be able to map all the buttons through the PF control settings. Just do a Google search. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but if you dont get on with Bob chips...XP wont see the stick. Bob quit making them a few years ago and he now works for CH and writes their CM software.

I have a full CH rig..FS+PT+PR+TQ and after 4 months of very hard everyday use....no a single problem has arisen. You can not go wrong with CH sticks

JACN12
03-08-2005, 07:05 PM
I´m looking for a force-feedback joystick.

Anybody knows if "Thrustmaster TopGun Afterburner Force Feedback" is a good choice?

Thanks,

A.

JunkoIfurita
03-09-2005, 02:35 AM
I don't know about the FFB Afterburner, but I was using the non-FFB model, the Top Gun Afterburner II, for a year before I got my X52.

Top joystick, Thrustmasters won't let you down, considering their middle price bracket. You'll get a little bit of free play on the throttle eventually, but not enough to cause a problem in game.

WOODY01
03-09-2005, 06:11 AM
Thankyou Crash_moses, finally someone elce sees that this HOTAS is still fantastic. I have had mine for over ten years, and it is abused day in day out, never misses a beat, Ive tryed the cougar, the siteck X52, and all others in between, and although all good sticks in there own right, I would never trade in my early Thrustmaster HOTAS (actually FLCS/WCS mk2, well this combo, I have several others in the cupboard) to me its just down to feel, I personally find USB sticks have no feel, its not the springs or the connection, I dont know what it is, I just know when I grab a USB stick I go "gee I wish I had MY HOTAS" (Gameport), make of it what you will, and Im not trying too diss any other HOTAS out there, there all better than a keyborde.
But, ten years of soild abuse (ie. not into FPS games, not into stratagy, just into flight sims, really really into flight sims) I mean hey this is the same HOTAS I was useing with EF2000 on my first PC! Shurly thats a good abuse test.

They do work very well in Win XP, I havent got Bob Churches chips (though he has helped me out with info, thanks man), no you cant program them in XP, but there is plenty of go arounds, ie boot disks ect.. all work extreamly well. or just program them on an old PC, and if you do get them (prolly off ebay) and they have a profile already in them you can just change the keys in the controls menu of the game.

With these controlers you have almost the same programability of the Cougar, but with none of the problems and all of the functionality. Eventually Ill end up with a Cougar I know, only due to Gameports being no longer supported, but untill then Ill be flying everyday without any problems or anything wearing out.

Please again, Im not trying to piss on anyones setup, I just hate how these controlers are always overlooked. they are fantastic.