PDA

View Full Version : Serious.ATI or Nvidia? 4000+ or FX-55?

sobolan
04-14-2005, 07:11 AM
School is over, welcome to real world of the working people.
Salary is nice thus I am in the market for a system (custom buildt) and I have a few questions.
Not too much into overclocking.

1) For now, X850 XT PE or 6800 Ultra? Someone said earlier that with Ultra you can choose a setting level that is not available if you play with ATI.
Also...from time to time there is a problem with ATI card and their drivers. Still actual?

ATI: apauling OpenGL performance and no pixelshadders 3.0...but, more perfomance in rest.

Nvidia: PS 3.0, rocks in Open GL...but even Ultra is under X800XT or XL in non OpenGL games.

2) 4000+ or FX-55?
3) How much HDD? 250? 2 of 160? Raid? or S-ATA?
4) 1Gb is enough or 1,5-2? I have heard that AMD 64 are working at best with matched and paired RAM sticks

Of course the rig will be used for gaminghttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif internet and email on the side...
Some video editing and nothing more.

Before coming over a few sites of small comp builder I almost bought something like this:
3500+ winchester
X800 XT PE
1GB
2x160Gb Raid
DVD/CD-ROM
DVD-RW DL
TV tuner
Audigy

Personal experiences and opinions?
Thank you.
In 2 weeks I will make the buyhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Would be nice to have a 4000+ or the next FX based on the 90nm or a ATI card with PS 3.0 but hey, I need a computer now...

WOLFMondo
04-14-2005, 07:34 AM
I have an almost identicle system to the one you posted except I have more ram (1.5GB Corsair DDR400 XMS in 2 dual channels) and the AMD 64bit 3500 939 pin 90nm.

AMD 64 bit is the way to go with a gaming platform.

As for cards, I went ATI, not cause Im a fan boy or anything (owned both makes of cards in the past) but it was best bang for buck and ATI actually has rock solid drivers now compared with Nvidia. Nvidia used to have good driver support by recently they've had problems with allot of games which put me off.

ATI OLG performance, what can I say:
I have all settings at maxiumum, 1152X864 res, FSAA X6, AF at 8, every slider on quality, no compression on textures etc in the IL2 setup, I don't think I can make IL2:FB/PF look nicer. 72 FPS on the Black death track minumum.

ATI OLG performance is fantastic, just Nvidia's is a little better by a few FPShttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif, the sort of FPS that you cannot visually see or be aware ofhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

-HH-Quazi
04-14-2005, 07:52 AM
1. Go with the X80XT PE. Better driver support. Issues are fixed. PS 3 is a fr killer and doesn't provide all that imho.

2. Are going to oc any? If so, the FX-55 is unlocked on both ends as far as its' multiplier is concerned. If it were me, I'd go with the 4000+ because when oc'ing, you can get higher fsb speeds with a lower multiplier and this allows the higher end ram to breathe(perform) a bit better.

3. Go with three SATA 10,000 rpm HD's. Two to set up a RAID 0 and one(whose HD capacity equals what both of the HD's in the RAID 0 are) to mirror with. You'll end up with a RAID 0+1. This gives you the increased read speeds of the RAID 0 and a HD for reduntency (RAID 1). It just backs up the RAID 0 if ever thaere are issues. You'll not loose any data this way.

4. 1GB is enough. But if $$$ isn't an object, just go ahead and go with 2GB for future use. Just make sure you get the good ram to match the performance capabilities of the system you want to build.

5. You didn't mention a PSU. I can recommend an OCZ 520 Powerstream. Get the 600 watt OCZ Powerstream if you can afford it. Again, just looking towards the future.

6. And you didn't mention a motherboard. The MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum can't be beat imho. Especially if you are intersted in oc'ing. You can go to any of the oc forums and they will recommend the same mobo. Not only is it a great board for oc'ing, but it is easy to make sure you keep up to date on bios and driver updates. It has Dual Channel memory DIMMS for that high end ram to work in also. RAID setups are easy and self-explanatory.

As far as the system you were looking at building with the list at the bottom of your post. Well with the exception of the two 160GB RAID 0 (I am running two 80GB SATA 7200rpm Western Digital HD's in a RAID 0) and the TV tuner, this is the exact system that I just built a couple of months ago. I can't say enough good things about it. It's AWESOME!. I am sure an FX-55 or a 4000+ would be of a benefit, but all in all, I am extremely satisfied with this rig.

Anyway, the above is just my personal recommendations and experiences. I am sure you will be very happy with a gaming rig of this type. Good Luck m8!

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-14-2005, 08:20 AM
If you're building this now and money is no object then get the FX-55. If you're not building it now then wait and see what happens with the new Venice core AMD64's, they look very promising in the OC department as well as having a few features that the others don't.

As for ATI vs. nVidia, it's really a personal preference thing. My opinion is water=3 would be sweet, but it's not worth having to try ten different drivers to find the one that screws up the least. The new ATI Cat 5.4's are sweet, no reason to go to older versions to do what should be fixed in the current ones. Also if you plan on OCing the video card then ATI users can use a wondeful program called atitool. It has great automated tests to find your maximum oc. I don't use atitool to actually carry out the oc, I prefer a program called radclocker, it doesn't have to run in the background, it applies the oc at startup and goes away. nVidia has no such nifty oc tool (afaik).

Owlsphone
04-14-2005, 09:44 AM
Not too long ago i would have gotten the FX-55, but the dual core cpus are soo close to coming out that I would wait and see how they perform. If they are what everyone is saying they will be, you will have something that will smoke an FX-55. If they flop, well at least the price of the FX-55s will come down.

Or you could just buy everything now since most AMD boards will support dual core cpus in the future. When the new dual processors come out you can just sell your FX-55 and pop in a new chip.

Dutch60
04-14-2005, 11:10 AM
I went for the system that is in my signature and I have had it for two weeks now, one week of evening hobby time to install the operating system, drivers and some games like IL2+AEP+PF, Lock On, FSIM 2004m CFS3, Doom 3, Far Cry, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, Brothers in Arms, Unreal II and Rome Total War (plus Halo for my Kid) and after one week of gaming it runs very stable with unbelievable frame rates especially on IL2+AEP+PF excellent mode 1600x1200 32bits color and 4xAA and 8xAF the minimum FPS in The Black Death is 30 FPS and I get an overall average of around 60 to 70 FPS in every mission you can think of, so for now I am having a super time with my new gaming machine. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Jetbuff
04-14-2005, 11:49 AM
I'd say get the nVidia card (single one) + an SLI socket 939 board. That way you're covered for both future graphics upgardes (just pop in a second 6800 ultra) and Dual core AMD's. (they are still expected to roll out on the 939 architecture)

And before anyone says it, yes, PF does not support SLI right now, but I suspect it will. Besides, who says it's the only game he'll be playing?

PS: Don't skimp on the PSU. You are buliding a monster there.

sobolan
04-14-2005, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the imput.
I have some remarks...

1) I am waiting since January to buy one...so yes, if you wait you get something better...but than, how much to wait? I had enought...'till the end of the month only.

2) SLI and dual core regarding...
As someone said, SLI is not supported by all games, thus buying two high end cards and have one just lay in there ust for the fun of having a SLIhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif) system...hm...
Same for dual cores...at this moment and with the actual and this year software at least, the computer will act more like a beefed-up hyperthreader...yeap, you can do a lot in the same time but you will not get the power of both together on the same job...not yet.

3) I am not into overclocking...said that at the begining.
AMD seems the way to go and 4000+ or FX were the best you can get for now.
X850 XT, PE or not, looks the way to go...I saw a couple of them from HSI...sweethttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

4) I am thinking in pairing 2 160Gb for now, and let free a slto for a 400Gb for later this year...

Same for RAM...2 sticks of very good ones, for 1Gb and later, also this year, another 2 for 2Gb in total.

For games: Il-2+FB+AEP+PF, FS2004, CS-CZ, Doom3, HL2, FarCry, Rome, Blitzkrieg, Lock on, NFS-PU, etc...