PDA

View Full Version : Ot: Cheating (singleplayer)

Mr.Roboto2005
08-17-2005, 01:01 PM
I got into argument with a couple friends about cheating at the games you own. Their stance was that cheats shouldn't be in games while I felt that that they sometimes made a game more interesting. I just wondered what you guys thought.

Mr.Roboto2005
08-17-2005, 01:01 PM
I got into argument with a couple friends about cheating at the games you own. Their stance was that cheats shouldn't be in games while I felt that that they sometimes made a game more interesting. I just wondered what you guys thought.

Mr.Roboto2005
08-17-2005, 01:02 PM
oh shoot! Could someone please move this to General Discussion? I accidently posted in the wrong spot.

Kuoster
08-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Exactly what do you mean by cheating? You mean by enabling God mode or infinite ammo (in a FPS shooter)? If so, Thats perfectly fine in single player. A lot of people like to screw around with the AI and such by enabling such implimented cheat features.

In pacific Fighters, there are ALREADY plenty of "cheat" features. Go to the difficulty option and you can turn off stalls, spins, blackouts, ect ect.

Doing this could help you practice your skill without worrying about dying, if need be.

Mr.Roboto2005
08-17-2005, 04:28 PM
Oh I mean just by having the option to cheat for all games in general. It could be codes or by use of a third party program. I like to cheat occasionally to mess around with the game dynamics. The guys that I refered to before feel that cheats detroy the experiance of gaming.

Sounds kind of extreme doesn't it? Everytime they walk into my room and they see me cheating at a game they get all mad. Then they poke fun at me for being "stupid". I could be playing, anything, except Il-2 of course, and they still will give me a hard time.

A good example would be final fantasy. I'll be blatantly cheating on it and they want an immediate explanation. My defense? I don't want to waste 60+ hours of my time just sitting infront of the screen leveling my character up. Anybody else agree? If the cheat does something in 30 sec that takes a person 60 hours of repetitive button mashing why not cheat?

JunkoIfurita
08-17-2005, 05:19 PM
It's all a matter of what you want to do. If you can't enjoy a game without cheating, then you do that. If your friends hate the idea, then no-one's asking them to cheat. In the end, a single player game is only as enjoyable as you allow it to be. Cheating in multiplayer is another thing altogether, of course.

Although one has to wonder why you'd bother playing Final Fantasy at all if you're not interested in all the exploring and 'leveling up' that forms 95.5% of the total gameplay. You've got to think of Final Fantasy as a single player MMORPG.

----

Mr.Roboto2005
08-17-2005, 05:26 PM
I totally agree too. Now the reason I play Final Fantasy is the story. Exploring is fine but when it comes to leveling up you usually find a choice spot and use over and over.

JunkoIfurita
08-19-2005, 06:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Cheating online is for ******s that can't handle a GAME. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Posting in a thread without reading its content (or title, even) is for people who want to look like they never passed 3rd grade.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> OT: Cheating (singleplayer) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

----

waffen-79
08-19-2005, 07:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr.Roboto2005:
Oh I mean just by having the option to cheat for all games in general. It could be codes or by use of a third party program. I like to cheat occasionally to mess around with the game dynamics. The guys that I refered to before feel that cheats detroy the experiance of gaming.

Sounds kind of extreme doesn't it? Everytime they walk into my room and they see me cheating at a game they get all mad. Then they poke fun at me for being "stupid". I could be playing, anything, except Il-2 of course, and they still will give me a hard time.

A good example would be final fantasy. I'll be blatantly cheating on it and they want an immediate explanation. My defense? I don't want to waste 60+ hours of my time just sitting infront of the screen leveling my character up. Anybody else agree? If the cheat does something in 30 sec that takes a person 60 hours of repetitive button mashing why not cheat? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

@Mr.Roboto2005

I do exactly the same thing in Never Winter Nights (Series), it comes with an editor that allows you to create custom items, needless to say that I now have several characters with über items http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Jaws2002
08-20-2005, 12:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JunkoIfurita:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Cheating online is for ******s that can't handle a GAME. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Posting in a thread without reading its content (or title, even) is for people who want to look like they never passed 3rd grade.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> OT: Cheating (singleplayer) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

---- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man I blew it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif
that will teach me not to post before I drink my cofee. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif
All I saw was "cheating" and I jumped in the boat. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif
Post edited.

Hoarmurath
08-21-2005, 09:14 AM
Cheating in any kind of multiplayer game is just lame.

Cheating in any kind of single player game is just taking bad habits http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

It remember me something that happened a while ago. I was discussing with some friends, about the difficulty to master some simulation games. One of them was bragging about how he never had difficulties mastering those simulations, so much that we finally decided to compare our skills in a friendly lan game.so a week end, we all bring our rigs at a friend house. We jumped into the games, and had some fun, especially looking at the performance of the one who was bragging about its skills in such games. Guess what he said to explain it? "Yes, but my cheat codes don't work in multiplayer!" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

DmdSeeker
08-23-2005, 09:58 AM
An offline game is a 21 .st century book. The designer leads you through it in the way and tempo he wants to. Cheating in an offline; single player game is like reading the last chapter; or leafing through all the pictures before reading the text (I never read the last chapter first; but I always leaf through me christmas books checking out the plane shots before I read 'em http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )

An online game is an activity club (was going to call it a sports club but it could just as well be a drama club if one pays attention to the text or vox channel http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ). One practises fererishly for the once or twice a week occasions when your club (squad) meet up to wreck havoc on the opposition. Afterwards you sit around over a beer and tell your friends how great you are and how much they suck; and already you're planning for next week. Cheating in this virtual sports league can be bad for your virtual life; as it should !

SeaFireLIV
08-23-2005, 10:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hoarmurath:
Cheating in any kind of multiplayer game is just lame.

Cheating in any kind of single player game is just taking bad habits http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. Cheating in singleplayer, tell me, what is the point? So you were stuck on level 5, cheated and got to the end at level 20 without any effort at all. You never had to think around the logical problems, you never had to dodge or use fast reactions, in fact all you did was stare at the screen like a zombie until it was over...

Mr.Roboto2005, maybe I was one of the 2 guys you were arguing with cos I know a m8 who owns an Xbox (and a PS2). He would buy a game for 30/40 then he`d IMMEDIATELY buy the CHEATBOOK for another 10. I`d ask him why not at least play the game first before buying the book? He`d have none of it.

Then he`d play the game, while using the cheatbook to find out everything instantly. He`s have the game finished in anything from 2-4 hours.

Next day I`d visit, and he`s already taken the previous game back (cos he`s finished it), trade it at a rubbish trade (so he`d have to spend more cash) for another 30 game, buy the cheat book for that and go through the whole caboodle again.

I`ve seen this guy go through up to 6-7 games in a SINGLE WEEK all by cheating and he does this continuously. What`s he learnt - NOTHING. I notice he even isn`t really enjoying himself, complaining bitterly if there`s a bit he can`t cheat at.

It totally boggles the mind and a lot of this is encouraged by greedy companies who knows you kids are dumb enough to cheat and finish a game in record time using their expensive cheat books just ready for when you`re back to waste more cash on their products.

WAKE UP!

Grue_
08-23-2005, 10:55 AM
I bought the kids (age 9 & 10) the latest version of the Sims on the PC a few months ago.

Within a day they had put the cheat codes in and were decorating their new mansions with 20 refrigerators etc.

A week later they were bored with it because they had seen it all. I tried to explain to them why they had ruined the challenge of the game but at the end of the day kids will always think they're being clever by cheating.

Leave the cheat codes out.

Moustacheo
08-23-2005, 01:29 PM
I think that cheating as soon as you get a game is pointless, after all the fun is in the challenge. However, cheating is useful if you have got to an extremely difficult part that you have been trying to do for ages. If you are not having fun just because of one part of the game you cannot do then cheating just to get past that point would be good, especially if you are getting increasingly tempted to smash your monitor.

LStarosta
08-23-2005, 06:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JunkoIfurita:
You've got to think of Final Fantasy as a single player MMORPG.

---- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Otherwise known as... ohh.. I dunno... an RPG?

ClnlSandersLite
08-23-2005, 07:43 PM
Ok here's my take.

Multiplayer:
I generally agree that mp cheating is a bad thing. Sometimes it's interesting however when the cheats are used consentially by all players.

Example:
Back in the Warcraft 2 days, a friend and I would occaisionally play with strange rules to mix it up some. One thing we'd do is infinite money. Sometimes we'd enable that cheat that made all your units kill anything else with one blow without bieng invincible. No fog of war, etc. These where just rules mutually imposed by us to provide an interesting game. They where a lot of fun too.

When it's not a mutual consent thing, MP cheating sucks ***. Anyone who cheats MP should be shot.

Single player:
Do whatever the **** you want. I HIGHLY reccomend playing through a game the first time with no strategy guides or cheats. After that I consider it fair game. If you generally like an rpg but don't care to level up for days on end, **** it. You paid money for your own game so who the **** cares.

You may soemtimes even cheat to make a game more interesting.

Example:
I'm a big fan of the no one lives forever games. One time, I was playing No One Lives Forever 2 and decided to play through the whole game using only the katana and shurkens, ninja style. The only catch was that I had to cheat weapons because these just werent available in most of the missions. There where a few places that rule had to be broken, like when you have to fire the A.S.S.S (Anti Super Soilder Serum) at the Super Soilders to kill them, etc. Still, it was a LOT of fun.

Also, I've played through all the premade campaigns in operation flashpoint (and MANY user campaigns). Sometimes I want to play through a campaign again, but want to skip certain missions just because I'm not in the mood for that kind of thing. Like maybe I'll just skip the special ops ****. Or Skip all the **** where I'm not a squad leader. I may not be in the mood to play the escape and evasion scenario again. Again, in that case I'll just say **** it.

96th_Nightshifter
08-23-2005, 07:57 PM
I'm kinda sick in that when I cheat on single player games like for example Medal of Honour - after completing it I'll use cheats to make it harder, like one shot kills me and see how long you can last or another cheat would be that you can only kill the enemy with a head shot. Great fun.

Philipscdrw
08-23-2005, 08:07 PM
Mmmm, cheats. I think it depends on your mood. If I want to play a game seriously, then I don't use them. If I'm feeling braindead and just want to watch stuff blow up, I would use them (although a similar effect can be achieved in Il-2 without any cheats, by flying an Il-2 against 16 Ju-52s or C-47s in the QMB). I don't like walkthroughs, that's like a spoiler, and spoilers are called spoilers because they spoil the game experience, in my humble opinion! But strategy and tactics advice articles (like 'flank your infantry with cavalry, and don't overdo the missile units' in Rome: Total War) are my bread and butter.

SeaFireLIV
08-24-2005, 05:42 AM
Some of what you guys mentioned above are not cheats, rather they enhance your game.

My first and only cheating was when I was playing Lara Croft`s Tomb raider. I`d done really well progressing through loads of difficult bits. Whenever I got stuck, i thought i couldn`t do it, but after a little thought the solution would come to me...

Finally, I got to a bit where she had to move some blocks. I just couldn`t figure out the puzzle. I spent an entire day on it, then slept on it and tried again, normally, by the next day my mind would have subconscusly sussed it, but nothing.

Out of desperation, I found a cheat to skip levels (I didn`t want to skip levels, but couldn`t find a solution to my immediate problem). I got to the next level, hmmm, interesting, then skipped to the next `oohh, big monster! oh well, blown the surprise` then skipped to the next and next. Then dropped the game and never played it again.

I was hooked on Tomb raider while I didn`t cheat, once I cheated, the floodgates opened, the whole reason for persevering, the joy of overcoming difficulties simply were gone. The whole point of it had died.

So now, if i ever get really stuck on a game, doesn`t really happen any more, since I don`t do this arcade type stuff so much, I`ll just leave it until I can eventually figure out how to solve it.

For me, cheating does not give me the feeling of accomplishment...

dazza9806482
08-24-2005, 05:52 AM
Golden Eye and Perfect Dark on the N64 had an excellent cheat system were u had to accomplish hidden and rock hard tasks to access the cheats

added to that u couldnt advance a level by cheating but it was just to mess around with the games

multiplied the playability tenfold

these were classic games

usually i dont feel any compunction to cheat, ruins the game- i mean the whole point is to experience things as the designers intended, and the rewards arent nullified...

half life 2 with cheats? maybe after completing the game to mess around....

i like IL2's scalable difficulty, i mean trying to introduce a mate to the series with limited ammo is difficult......

'thats all my ammo??'

'this is bollocks!'

Billy_BigBoy
08-24-2005, 03:05 PM
This reminds me of a "cheat" I used in Falcon 4.0, patched with SP3.
To turn the odds in a campagne I sometimes logged in as a different user on the North Korean side. With a well armed MiG I then created havoc amongst the red airbases, put them out of action.
After that I saved the game and logged back in as Falcon pilot to continue the campagne http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

This option is not available anymore in Falcon 4: Allied Force http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif