PDA

View Full Version : Want to see a Dedicated Eastern Front and Pacific Front server?

VFS-22_SPaRX
07-30-2004, 02:11 PM
Many of you probably know that I am the one of the few that keep War Clouds online. There are a select few of use that have decided that we will do what ever it takes financially and time wise to keep the server up and going. But with just a few of us doing this, we are only able to manage 1 server. We just do not have the resources to put up any additional servers. So we decided to set up the server how we all like it and run it that way, which is what you see right now. In the past few months, I have seen and heard many requests for Eastern Front servers and Pacific servers. So now i am reaching out to see if people are willing to chip in and get Two servers from these Fronts up and running. Here is what i am proposing.

1. Starting two more servers, one dedicated to the Eastern front and one dedicated to the Pacific front. Run these servers with the same difficulty and icon setting that are presently being used on War Clouds. Basically, just setup two new Clones of War Clouds, but running different maps and planesets.
2. Pretaining to the Eastern Front server. I am thinking that this server could span the years of 41-43ish? This could be decided at a later date. I am not a big Eastern Front Flyer, so basically i would like to see what those interested in helping out would like to see.
3. Pretaining to the Pacific Front server. Till the release of PF, we would just use the Planes that are currently in ACEs. Then when PF is release, we can switch this server over to the new updated PF. It should run the FB/Aces/PF install. If this is not an option, then we can just run it as a PF install.

What do we need to make this happen? In short money. Each server will run Between 80-100$ US a month. So if we are running three server, we are looking at a max $300 investment each month. If we get enough people involved, the per month investment needed from each person won't be much. If we have 15 "member" (for a lack of better words), then we are looking at a $20 investment per month from each person. Now personally, i can think of worse things i spend $20 a month on http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.
Some other things we are going to need. Some admins that are capable of remotely admining the servers. I will not have the time to take care of three servers. I can get them setup and running smoothly with no problems. But a server needs to be maintained daily. I can make the maintaince part of it very simple. So we will not need anyone with extreme Server skills. We will also need some people to help maintain a Website for the servers. Keep it up to date with all the servers infos and daily happenings.

Lastly, i would like to relay some personal thoughts i have on this. Over the years of runnign game servers, the burden ( and yes, it is a burden most of the time ) has been solely put on a few people. Many of us just do it because we can and we like to have quality servers available. But it is not just getting to expensive and time consuming for most of us to handle on our own. Back in a day, it would be no problem for some of us to get High speed connection for free. Most of us had friends in or worked in a facility where we could basically hide a server for us to use. But with the current security measures that most companies are puttin in place, this is just not possible anymore. So now we have to resort to renting dedicated lines for our servers. Some of the admins have good connections in their homes that they use, others of us rent from data centers. This is becoming more and more costly. So now what i am proposing is that the community step up and help. Let's spread this burden out among us and make it easier for everyone.

Please do not take this as a whine, complaint, or an insult in anyway. It is not intended to come across in these manners, but since we are all jsut reading text, it's easy to interject thoughts into these statements.

Thoughts? Questions? Suggestions?

S~
SPaRX

VFS-22_SPaRX
07-30-2004, 02:11 PM
Many of you probably know that I am the one of the few that keep War Clouds online. There are a select few of use that have decided that we will do what ever it takes financially and time wise to keep the server up and going. But with just a few of us doing this, we are only able to manage 1 server. We just do not have the resources to put up any additional servers. So we decided to set up the server how we all like it and run it that way, which is what you see right now. In the past few months, I have seen and heard many requests for Eastern Front servers and Pacific servers. So now i am reaching out to see if people are willing to chip in and get Two servers from these Fronts up and running. Here is what i am proposing.

1. Starting two more servers, one dedicated to the Eastern front and one dedicated to the Pacific front. Run these servers with the same difficulty and icon setting that are presently being used on War Clouds. Basically, just setup two new Clones of War Clouds, but running different maps and planesets.
2. Pretaining to the Eastern Front server. I am thinking that this server could span the years of 41-43ish? This could be decided at a later date. I am not a big Eastern Front Flyer, so basically i would like to see what those interested in helping out would like to see.
3. Pretaining to the Pacific Front server. Till the release of PF, we would just use the Planes that are currently in ACEs. Then when PF is release, we can switch this server over to the new updated PF. It should run the FB/Aces/PF install. If this is not an option, then we can just run it as a PF install.

What do we need to make this happen? In short money. Each server will run Between 80-100$ US a month. So if we are running three server, we are looking at a max $300 investment each month. If we get enough people involved, the per month investment needed from each person won't be much. If we have 15 "member" (for a lack of better words), then we are looking at a $20 investment per month from each person. Now personally, i can think of worse things i spend $20 a month on http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.
Some other things we are going to need. Some admins that are capable of remotely admining the servers. I will not have the time to take care of three servers. I can get them setup and running smoothly with no problems. But a server needs to be maintained daily. I can make the maintaince part of it very simple. So we will not need anyone with extreme Server skills. We will also need some people to help maintain a Website for the servers. Keep it up to date with all the servers infos and daily happenings.

Lastly, i would like to relay some personal thoughts i have on this. Over the years of runnign game servers, the burden ( and yes, it is a burden most of the time ) has been solely put on a few people. Many of us just do it because we can and we like to have quality servers available. But it is not just getting to expensive and time consuming for most of us to handle on our own. Back in a day, it would be no problem for some of us to get High speed connection for free. Most of us had friends in or worked in a facility where we could basically hide a server for us to use. But with the current security measures that most companies are puttin in place, this is just not possible anymore. So now we have to resort to renting dedicated lines for our servers. Some of the admins have good connections in their homes that they use, others of us rent from data centers. This is becoming more and more costly. So now what i am proposing is that the community step up and help. Let's spread this burden out among us and make it easier for everyone.

Please do not take this as a whine, complaint, or an insult in anyway. It is not intended to come across in these manners, but since we are all jsut reading text, it's easy to interject thoughts into these statements.

Thoughts? Questions? Suggestions?

S~
SPaRX

VFS-22_SPaRX
07-30-2004, 02:39 PM
Just some more random thoughts on the issue.

I am thinking this should be handled like a non-profit organization. Every contributing member would be on a "board of trustees". Any matters concerning the servers would then be put to a vote with each "board" member casting a vote.

Another thing we could look at after we get established, we could approach companies for Sponsorship to help fun the servers.

Lastly, this is going to required a dedicated commitment for those involved. I am sure any server owner will back me up on this, running a full time server takes a lot of time.

S~

SPaRX

gates123
07-30-2004, 02:47 PM
S! Sparx

Wouldn't it be easier just to mix in a few early plane set/eastern and pacific maps within the one server you do have instead of going out and asking for donations for two new servers. I would think it would be easier to get donations covering one server instead of three. All this because you don't want to mix in a few eastern or pacific maps? Seems like alot of work to me and you run the risk of not covering the cost of 3 servers just over a few maps/plane sets that can be easily implemented with the one server that you do have up. Nothing more then a suggestion. Thx for the server.

http://www.fightingcolors.com/custompagestuff/b17visibility72.jpg
Did anyone see that or was it just me?

M.R.Maiornikov
07-30-2004, 02:55 PM
I want a eastern front server http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

------------------------------------------------------------
http://server6.uploadit.org/files/MRMaiornikov-sovietAF.jpg

The RED GUARD (777th Gv.I.A.P)-"For The Glory Of Our Motherland"
Lt.M.R.Maiornikov

VFS-22_SPaRX
07-30-2004, 02:57 PM
I understand what you are saying there gates. But right now, we are running the server how we like it. I like the western front. When i get on my pc to play, i want to play basically in a setup that we have right now. I do not want to sit thru 4/5 maps of zeros, yaks, and la's. This is just my personal prefernce. This is why i am suggesting the afore mentioned. All three fronts will have a dedicated mainstay this way. If you feel like flying Russian, there will be a server that will always have Russian planes on it. Want to fly a Zero, goto the pacific server. There are many people that feel this way as well. When they want to play, they want to fly "their" plane. They do not want to have to wait for a map to finally rotate in that has "their" plane on it.

Covering the cost of three servers will not be that hard if people will step up to the plate. What is $20 bux a month. Hell, i have gone to the bar with my buddies and dropped $100 bill before the night is over. And that is just one night. If we have 15 or so people involved, this will not be over taxing on anyone. We can still keep the donation drive going and this will only make it easier for all involved. It can really be this simple.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions gates. And thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

S~

SPaRX

gates123
07-30-2004, 03:11 PM
The only thing is that as much as people love this game they are not gonna play $240 a yr to play it when there are other servers that don't have an entrance fee. Can I afford it?.... sure but if I wanted to pay $20 a month to play a video game online then I'd go play Star Wars galaxies, planetside or evercrack. I think if you want to increase the donations to your server then offer the public some mixed theaters and planesets which attracts new people eager to see something new. I don't mind donating $20 every 3-4 months but thats about it because I do respect the work it takes for the admins to keep it running properly and making it fun.

VFS-22_SPaRX
07-30-2004, 03:33 PM
I understand you point gates. And that is a personal decision. I do appreciate every donation that comes in as i am sure do all the others that play on the server. Its not a matter of increasing the donations gates, there is enough coming in right now to keep the current server up and running. What i am suggesting is, if people want variety in the server, then do something about it. Don't expect us (server admins) to be able to please everyone.

The mixed theaters and planesets is being done and rather well by the Greater Green guys. And i think they fill that spot well. I dont think we need another server that is in this genre. If you could poll every online DF server player, i am sure you will see that when they go online they are lookin for a specific plane to fly. There are more of these players then there are those that will fly whatever is there. We tried mixing planesets on the server a few times and the results are always the same. Full server during the WF 44 maps, swith to a pre 43 map in a different front, bam players start asking where is the Dora? Where is the P51? Where is the Spit? Well they did not fly in this era or theater. Then they leave. This is one of the reasons we stay with the current planeset. Players know, if i goto War Clouds, i can fly such and such plane.

Please do not take this as i am trying to discredit your suggestions, i am just merely expressing what i have seen in the past from experience.

Another issue with the rotating planesets is the time to make the maps/missions. Swiss and I have a pretty good system for building maps/mission quickly. And this all hinges on the fact that the planesets do not change. If this Multiple server thing takes off, then there is going to be a need for more map/mission makers. Right now, we have it down to about 1-2 hours to make a map. Before it was taking us anywhere from 3-4. This is from start to testing. And as i stated, its all in how we have the planesets.

Keep the ideas rolling man. The more input on this, the better.

S~

SPaRX

PS. Why do you not feel that IL2 is not worth 20 bux a month, but StarWars Galaxies, planetside or everquest maybe?

gates123
07-30-2004, 03:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VFS-22_SPaRX:

PS. Why do you not feel that IL2 is not worth 20 bux a month, but StarWars Galaxies, planetside or everquest maybe?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sparx I would never play $20 a month to play ANY game. Cable modem is already $45. Thats enough for a month of gaming expenses. Plus Doom3, HL2 and Brothers in Arms are due out soon. Thats another $150 that I'm willing pay to play. Donations are one thing but monthly payments are another. See you in the not-so friendly skies S!

LeadSpitter_
07-30-2004, 03:49 PM
I'd donate another 20 to have enemy labels turned off completely, map icons off and Friendly player names at the distance of the planetype.

http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v43/leadspitter/LSIG1.gif

VFS-22_SPaRX
07-30-2004, 03:59 PM
S~ gates. I completely understand where you are coming from. And I do not feel there is anything wrong with your statements at all. What i am lookin for is others that would be interested in what i have laid out here. If it doesnt happen, that is fine. But i am just trying to give people an option on how we can better the server mix thats all.

I just want to make sure you understand, i do not feel that anyone must donate to play on a server. I do not think any different of someone that donates or does not. Everyone is equally welcome on War Clouds either way. I just wanted to make this statement because after reading over some of my last posts, i though someone could read into it that i feel if someone doesn't donate then they are not doing thier part.

S~

SPaRX

VFS-22_SPaRX
07-30-2004, 04:02 PM
Leadspitter,

As i stated, i am not looking for what to change on the server here. Not everyone can be happy with the settings as they are. There are the best compromise for all IMHO. If this wasn't true, then the server would not be as full as it is http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. I am sure there are going to be many "i would if" posts in here, but again, that is not the goal of this. What i am looking for here is if there are people out there that are willing to help get two more servers up and running with the current settings but with Differnt planesets and theaters.

S~

SPaRX

(GreyFox5)
07-30-2004, 04:15 PM
Hey Sparks,

Setup a Paypal account and maybe that would make it easier to donate. Not sure that would have any over head. I wish I had a good answer how to keep the general flying public supporting the cause. I feel very lucky to have UBI and Hyperlobby hosting for free not sure how HL does it but it really adds to the experience.

And thanks for keeping Ghostskys running!

~S~ and good luck... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Yellonet
07-30-2004, 04:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gates123:
Sparx I would never play $20 a month to play ANY game.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
My thoughts exactly.

- Yellonet

LeadSpitter_
07-30-2004, 04:59 PM
I know, I also know alot of people who fly there want enemy labels on and respect your choice of settings.

but you also know how fast even descent pilots die 3 times so shortly for the very few who try ground and ship attack.

Because of the enemy labels. Thats why theres only 1-2 always ground attack the rest just dogfight.

what i would like to see is the 5 maps 44-45 like it is now and the same maps then played with 42-43year us brit vs german planeset would be interesting.

p47d10 d22 p51b p51c, early non clipped wing spitfires, p40 e m hurricane vs stuka bf110 109f2 f4 g2 g6 he111 190a4 a5

also do you know you can limit the ammount of spawns for a runway by the radius size? so if you wanted to have only 2-4 me262s able to be selectable from one base you can do that with the runway radius.

other players past 2-4 can select the base but will get the select a runway msg and have to choose another base to fly with 190s 109s. Might be interesting. I was wondering do you have a link for mis making for the script you use I would like to help out and create some new maps with ground targets.

http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v43/leadspitter/LSIG1.gif

xTHRUDx
07-30-2004, 05:45 PM
Sammie over at Greater Green has offered some of us, myself included, admin rights for a yearly/monthly fee. you might explore that option as a way to get money.

As PF draws near we at GG are kicking around ideas to Sammie as to how to handle the this new 2nd front coming. When PF comes out, the "newness" factor will be high and everyone will be itching to play with it like a new toy on Christmas.
One suggestion was to do 2 or 3 PF maps per 1 AEP map while the demand for PF is high. As the newness wears off then adjust it to a more even 1 Europe to 1 Pacific. Perhaps a method of one theater at the odd hours and the other theater on the evens. This could also be coordinated with another server (opperated by yourself or another) to run their theaters on an opposite schedule so players could always have their desired theater available to them.

VFS-22_Swiss
07-30-2004, 05:52 PM
Well I for one am more than willing to donate on a monthly basis, I alomst do now anyway. I put a ot of time there as an admin in the squad, and anything to keep it going and improving I am all for. Besides its getting harder and harder to get onto the single server as it is.

Swiss

civildog
07-30-2004, 05:55 PM
What I see lacking in this whole area is a server running a full blown east front campaign that also offers a Teamspek server service like Warclouds does. Myabe you ought to consider something more full featured like an ongoing campaign, evolving battles, planesets limited by historical density and losses, etc....

It would take a lot of time, but i think if you can offer players more than just a place to play it might make a fee more palatable.

Evolving front lines, Teamspeak support with passworded channels for red and blue, different rank levels for players who climb them so they can eventually direct the battles, etc...

Yeah, yeah..kinda like Warbirds, but better.

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v304/civildog/CivilDogsignatureMASTER2.jpg

I often think the whole world is out to get me, but then I remember that some of the smaller nations are neutral.

58th AVG "WannaBees" ...We fly where the angels fear to tread!

VFS-22_SPaRX
07-30-2004, 07:01 PM
THRUD,
Running two servers on one Server is just not an option. There is one simple reason for this. Hyperlobby. This is where most of the players join from, and it is only possible to list one server in Hyperlobby per physical box. So there is no way to run 2/3 IL2 server per physical box and have them listed in Hyperlobby.
Also, this is not a money factor for the Current server. This is not a ploy to get more donations for the current server. There are enough people currently donating to the current server to keep it afloat. We also have 5/6 individuals currently that are already dedicated to making sure there is enough funds to pay the monthly bill. This is more of an idea on how to get funding for the additional servers that other people are looking for.

CivilDog,

This is what we are talking about right now. Starting up a new server with just that, a full blown easter front server. But the problem is getting the funds to do it. It is not cheap to rent servers. Minimum for a decent server on a good stable connection is going to be $80-100 a month (depends on setup fees). We are already dropping currently 130 a month for the current server. There is not enough donations to start a second or third right now.

As for the campain and such. Personally i am just not interested in that. There is a major time factor involved in something like that and I do not have the time to do it. Also, i am not really interested in playing on a server of that nature either. Its not really fair for me to dedicate so much of my time to a server that i would not like flying on. The current server is basically tailored to my likings, just so happens that there are a lot of others out that the enjoy the same setup.

Well i guess this just didn't get teh response i had hoped for. I thought there might be some people out there in the community that would be willing to fund and help maintain a server as I am willing to do. With all these threads i see everyday about "where is this front" and "where are these planes", i thought well, maybe we can get a group together and make it happen. But as i can see, it's not going to happen. If i could shell out the 300 a month, i honestly would probably do it without a second thought.

I hope that all of you express some respect and gratitude to those that are out there hosting the servers you play on. There is an extrodinaryly large amount of time and money being put into many of these servers.

S~ all, enjoy the server and make sure you have a good time. Because if you are not having a good time playin on the server, then we are putting alot of effort out for nothing.

S~

SPaRX

civildog
07-30-2004, 07:28 PM
Why not just have rotating maps and plane sets tailored to the Eastern and Pacific Theaters mixed in with what you already have then? You could post a schedule on your website so people could know what's playing when. After a while you'll probably draw a lot more people and then you could float hie 2nd server suggestion again.

VFS-22_SPaRX
07-30-2004, 07:39 PM
Civildog

Because i personally am not interested in Eastern and Pacific fronts. I am not going to put all my time and dedication into a server that i do not want to fly in. This is not about the current server. The current server is just fine the way it is. There are many people that enjoy it just as it is. If you have any doubts, try and get into it on the weekends. Everytime i want to play on it, i gotta spend 15-20 minutes trying to join the darn thing because its full.

Basically this is what i am trying to get across here. People keep saying they want to see Eastern front and mention of Pacific Fronts. So what are you people willing to do to make it happen? I realize that not everyone has the the server/networking knowledge to run a server, so i am offering my support and making that part of it happen. I am not looking to put 2 more servers under my belt.

S~
SPaRX

civildog
07-30-2004, 08:03 PM
I hear you. I play on Warclouds about every other night and it's great, but I think that given the market share of free servers already out there, the idea of having to pay one ain't gonna fly. Not yet, anyway.

A fast connect speed and the Internet means never having to say you're wrong.

VFS-22_SPaRX
07-30-2004, 09:58 PM
Well, thats the mentality that people need to get away from. Its not really a pay to play. Its more of providing a service. But i can see that no one is interested in doing that and that is a shame.

S~ and cya all in War Clouds

SPaRX

VFS-22_SPaRX
07-31-2004, 08:46 AM
There sure are alot of players in this thread wanting a dedicated Eastern Front server

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=682103775

What i do not understand is why none of you are willing to help start a server that will fill this spot?

S~

SPaRX