PDA

View Full Version : How about some modding tools!

BM357_Hawki
03-23-2006, 07:01 PM
Lets be honest I'm sick of looking at the same old boring buildings,objects, and tiled city landscapes to drop bombs on or gun.

I will not buy the next product (BOB) if it doesn't have some type of open systems to allow the creation of real places, scenery, buildings, fx to name but a few.

Most all new software titles have a SDK or Modding/Terain editor of some sort to expand the game atmosphere to some degree.

Yes I know this is not going to be "as real as it can be" with satellite texture mapping, dynamic scenery, (oh maybe some double decker busses in the London Scenery for BOB can't wait..getreal) but it would be fantastic if we could build our own animated objects with Gmax?

Do we not have enough Plane variations to fly??

Time to do some work on the game mechanics in general.

All the great software produced has these features that let other interested parties invest their time producing add-ons, freeware or shareware for your favorite game. Time to jump onto the bandwagon for your next generation game. Don't get me wrong great flighter combat sim but being a combat sim unlike MSFS attention to mapping and terrain features should be just as important as the flight models. With this regard MSFS is still the best flight sim out there imho.

Tally ho!!

BM357_Hawki
03-23-2006, 07:01 PM
Lets be honest I'm sick of looking at the same old boring buildings,objects, and tiled city landscapes to drop bombs on or gun.

I will not buy the next product (BOB) if it doesn't have some type of open systems to allow the creation of real places, scenery, buildings, fx to name but a few.

Most all new software titles have a SDK or Modding/Terain editor of some sort to expand the game atmosphere to some degree.

Yes I know this is not going to be "as real as it can be" with satellite texture mapping, dynamic scenery, (oh maybe some double decker busses in the London Scenery for BOB can't wait..getreal) but it would be fantastic if we could build our own animated objects with Gmax?

All the great software produced has these features that let other interested parties invest their time producing add-ons, freeware or shareware for your favorite game. Time to jump onto the bandwagon for your next generation game. Don't get me wrong great flighter combat sim but being a combat sim unlike MSFS attention to mapping and terrain features should be just as important as the flight models. With this regard MSFS is still the best flight sim out there imho.

Tally ho!!

FritzGryphon
03-23-2006, 08:39 PM
On the use of Gmax;

Oleg responded that to use Gmax format files in game, means they have to pay a large license fee to Discreet. So all addon material must be with 3D Studio Max.

As for making your own objects, you can. In fact, Oleg asked specifically for vehicles and buildings for BoB, to "make it look more alive". 3rd parties are making things like trains, trucks and buildings. I hope someone can post the link to the german forum, where there was the trains; they look very nice!

I think it is a superior system, than uncontrolled mod production by individual users. Quality control, 100% distribution via patches, even getting paid for models.

WWSensei
03-24-2006, 12:18 PM
If I am not mistaken, but aren't a large number of the maps and objects in the game (and a fair number of the aircraft) done by third party modellers? People keep saying the game isn't moddable, but it is. Granted, maybe for professional modellers and the correct high end software but personally I wouldn't be interested in crappy, low quality mods either.

FS2004 is open moddable and the number of truly good and useful mods are about the same as IL2...

Wingstrut_1
03-24-2006, 02:43 PM
Forget it. Its all about money and control.

FritzGryphon
03-24-2006, 11:18 PM
Money for modelers, and quality control.

None of the mounds of unfinished amateur trash or $30 1 plane packs. Plane packs you can't use online anyway, b/c online is hacked.

This CFS modders panacea is a fantasy.

LEXX_Luthor
03-24-2006, 11:49 PM
Excellent idea BM357_Hawki. Oleg has shown that he is always willing to add new aircraft, so we don't need fully independent 3rd Party addon aircraft, but Oleg has shown unable to add or properly create air warfare simulation Objects. Fire/Smoke objects that are visible beyond 2km http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif are needed more than bread and AM-38s..

Hawk:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes! Although there are never enough planes, those are best left in Oleg's tender hands. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif You will get flamed by this community here, even though you don't seem to be interested in flight modelling or aircraft modding, but modding other things that add to the sim. The "online" dogfight community only wants to raise their (well earned) Fear of aircraft modding and Cheating. You see, for Online dogfight shooter gaming, all you need is...

(1) blank flat map -- see the blank flat Online dogfight maps that came with PF for example

(2) blank flat solid blue coloured "sky."

(3) "flight model" -- nothing else required, except....

(4) dogfight "kill" score recording system -- to prove the flight models http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif .

Real air war simulation requires endless additions of maps, objects, airfield mods...and that is what you ask for in your thread. Excellent.

Yes, we must be able to mod up our own airfields. But no, that would cause the return of the Online Taxi Cheat. We can't allow that. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Scrappy_D
03-25-2006, 11:41 AM
All those so called "other games" that provide SDK's etc have all got some cheats or forms of cheats for them. I really do not want to see this happen to this game ... You may say that you would never do this .. but if an SDK was available then I'm damn sure someone would use that to create some form of cheat .......

Cheats never prosper!

RolandPeters
03-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Oleg has stated that he is thinking about making the sim more open (not the current one, but BOB). One of the problems is the difficulty of fitting the models into the game engine. An open environment is of course very helpfull in this aspect. So basically he was talking about an open "version" with the possibility of modding and a controlled "version" as we have in the current version. If you would build a model and it would be a usefull addon to the controlled version it could become included. On the other hand, if you would build an airplane with 6 75mm guns and UFO behavior it would never become part of the "controlled version" as the quality control of the models stays in the hands of the game developers. By the way, I do NOT see how this would propagate cheats...... Oleg wrote about this a very long time ago so maybe the plans have changed?

ElAurens
03-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Lexx, you are really out in left field man.

I sure as h3ll want more than a flat map and a fake blue sky background when I fly online.

I think it's time you pulled your head out and had a look around.

Oh, and SDKs should never be in the hands of the masses. Be sure.

LEXX_Luthor
03-25-2006, 07:15 PM
RolandPeters:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">By the way, I do NOT see how this would propagate cheats...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It can't allow "cheating" if the (non-aircraft) mods are restricted to Offline play only. Sadly as we can see already in this thread, the Online players wish to deny this from their fear of Online cheating using mods. See the post above this one. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

A GREAT POSSIBILITY --&gt; PF code development Test Runways which Oleg allowed us to keep so we can place runways where we need them. We should be able to mod any airfield with taxiways and parking areas all using the Test Runway methods. Also, we could skin these airfields. Oleg only provides two (2) skins of Test Runways -- steel mat and concrete.

BM357_Hawki
03-27-2006, 09:11 AM
Ok, it seems to boil down to really a few issues..

Developer acceptance,allowance,time and money to add a scripting engine into the next version,modding engines,and or utility programs to extend the current 3d ground object models in the game.

For all the people worried about cheating,yes I want to limit the modding only to features of the game that would not effect the core simulation. All Aircraft FX and new aircraft functionality has to be done by inhouse or outsourced agents.

I can assume that right now the aircraft are probably being designed in 3ds max, maya, or any other of the professional 3d program and then the 3dfiles,textures, animation effects created are run thru an inhouse conversion utility to the format that the game engine needs to run and display the models.

Heck I don't want to purchase a $3,000. program just to make a outhose! However I can use a less expensive program like milkshape, truespace, carrera, for example, to create any ground objects that I would like. I am sure this would get around the license issues using Gmax for instance. All we would need is a conversion from any current 3d file format like .OBJ,.DXF etc. Heck Milkshape has so many import and export capabilities that I'm sure all would be needed is a converter to IL2 Model Format.

These new custom objects can then be added to your map of choice and with another utility be saved as a new map choice or objects for the mission designer and could be available as downloads from any site as a mod.

It would be nice if the extra objects were able to be download like the skins are downloaded now. It would be the choice of the client or the server to allow the uploading/downloading of the mod package to the users machine. It would really be nice to design a model for example like Brecourt Manor,and adjust the terrain and textures for the beaches at Normandy. I can't believe how Pointe Du Hoc in Normandy doesn't even come close to the real setting.

I can see it now after a long dogfight pulling up to a hanger and having scripted animated trucks come to my location and refuel and arm my plane for the next round of action and seeing other planes being refuled and rearmed!Would be a great time to run to the fridge for another beer hehe.

There are many ways to go with this type of setup but it is possible unless UBI is planning to put out its own modding packages as add-ons!

Well enough said and I hope some sort of scripting and conversion programs are integrated into the next updated version. Right now go to run and take some digital pics for some texture maps I'm using for my small 3d oil refinery I am building for the Trainz and MFSF sim products only wish it could be for IL2 also!

Tally Ho!