PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic: Civil Air Patrol

NekoReaperman
10-20-2005, 03:27 PM
Hey all, i was browing around the CAP website and i saw some pictures and quotes telling me that they were involved DIRECTLY in the location and attack of U-boats off the atlantic coast.

I knew they served as spotters, but i had no idea they carried bombs and the like.

Can anyone give me pictures of CAP aircraft, with weapons, and during operation, if possible (google is not my friend), and some information on the aircraft operated 1941-1946 please?

Thanks in advance...

NekoReaperman
10-20-2005, 03:27 PM
Hey all, i was browing around the CAP website and i saw some pictures and quotes telling me that they were involved DIRECTLY in the location and attack of U-boats off the atlantic coast.

I knew they served as spotters, but i had no idea they carried bombs and the like.

Can anyone give me pictures of CAP aircraft, with weapons, and during operation, if possible (google is not my friend), and some information on the aircraft operated 1941-1946 please?

Thanks in advance...

PBNA-Boosher
10-20-2005, 04:12 PM
http://www.elmendorf.af.mil/3wing/units/history/images/L-5.jpg

This Alaskan L-5 Sentinel was a CAP aircraft in the 1950's. In fact, yes, the statement above is true. One U-Boat captain is recorded saying "I stopped making patrols to the United States because of those ****ed little red and yellow planes!"

Speaking of nowadays though, they are a diminished organization, and while they might help with search and rescue, I find many the CAP pilots around me not only extremely arrogant AND they think they own the skies. In turn, they're also lacking some safety knowledge of aircraft Operation.

I had to ask one of these patrollers to please, PLEASE, when you are at an uncontrolled airport: IDENTIFY YOURSELF IN THE PATTERN! They have radios, we all know they do.

I got an answer back to the effect of, "Who the f*** do you think you're talking to? I'm CAP, I don't have to listen to you!"

The program is just so flawed now and highly un-necessary. If they want have pilots, they better d@mn well make sure that these guys follow FAA procedure too.

some more pics of "the good days of CAP."

http://www.woodfieldcap.org/images/history1.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/84/Subchasers.jpg/800px-Subchasers.jpg

NekoReaperman
10-20-2005, 04:35 PM
Thanks a lot, that painting was the one i saw on the site...

I will be getting my various licances and rating next year (my freshman year in collage)

I also thought about voulenteering with my local CAP when i did, but would this reflect in a negative way on me?

(i dont think i would be as rude as that person, i would at least comply, and more then likely apologise)

I live in Miami, Florida, a big boating area, and figure it would be a nice way to help, and a cool way to pick up hours on someone elses tab $-) $-) $-)

More pictures would be cool from anyone willing...

EDIT: also in the hypothetical market for a future aircraft purchase

Could you make a suggestion for an aircraft
that is (in order of importance)

A) Somewhere around or below the $50,000 mark for a used one

B) Respectable range and maintance costs

C) A taildragger 8-)

Cessina 120/140 is looking like my best bet so far, but i admit i dont know jack ****e about the subject

PBNA-Boosher
10-20-2005, 06:36 PM
There aren't many good taildraggers made out there anymore that I know for reliability. Most of them are made in tricycle gear config now. I do know that CAP airplanes these days are more often C-172's than anything else. I'm sure, if necessary, though, you could find an Ercoupe or something from the elderly eras on EBay or an auction site. If you want to I would suggest attempting to buy or make a Po-2. Your extremely slow speed of 80mph tops would be great for SAR spotting.

As for the license, good luck mate. I've almost got mine, it's my senior year of high school. And no, joining CAP doesn't have a negative effect on you. As long as you follow the rules of the FAA and keep in mind the other traffic, in short, do what your instructors are telling you to do now, you'll be one of the best CAP pilots out there. The organization isn't bad right now, it's the people in my area who are in it who just aren't doing their job well.

EDIT- Right now I'm flying a Piper Cherokee 140, but I've also flown C-172's and 152's, as well as a Piper Warrior (the 180 model) Of everything, that Piper Warrior is my favorite. I'd reccomend that to you.

Zyzbot
10-20-2005, 06:45 PM
Some CAP photos here:

http://www.caphistory.org/museum_exh_2.html

LStarosta
10-20-2005, 06:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I find many the CAP pilots around me not only extremely arrogant AND they think they own the skies. In turn, they're also lacking some safety knowledge of aircraft Operation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whatdya know... You fit right in, then.

P.S. I need some marital advice.

PBNA-Boosher
10-20-2005, 09:47 PM
PM me with your probs LStarosta, but as I assume, the joke's back on then? I'm surprised you even took your break on it, it was starting to get really funny.

flakwagen
10-21-2005, 05:56 AM
Ha! I was a CAP cadet for four years. We were the only barracked cadet squadron in the US- or so we were told. But this was in name only as we did CAP training for a grand total of one day a month and never participated in SARCAPS.

I remember being taught to recognize WARSAW pact aircraft profiles and a few ridealong flights in a Cessna. One took written tests to advance from rank to rank.

Passing a test also got one a ribbon, so the 'salad' was as good of an indicator of cadet rank as the actual rank insignia. I had two or three stripes by the time I got out.. I can't remember which.

http://condor.nywg.cap.gov/cadetpix/jhall.jpg

This isn't me but this is a good representitive photo. I remember the unholy feeling of blue polyester very well. And that metal hat badge HURT when applied to the skull at high speed! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Flak

CowboyTodd41
10-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Wow...CAP. Yeah when my friends and I see a ton of sleeping bags and tents being tossed of the back of a C-130 at Oshkosh we always break out our favorite line "Excuse me sir, this is an active taxi-way." I guess that's the difference between CAP kids and me and my friends who grew up around planes because our parents owned them. Alhough if my ELT went off in the middle of nowhere b/c I crashed and I was walking back to the airport, that little red white and blue C-172 might be a nice sight to see indeed...

Jungmann
10-21-2005, 08:30 PM
I joined the CAP squadron in Van Nuys in the mid-80s because they had a T-34. What others said about the STRAC/Marine Recon attitude of the pudgy civilians in charge is true. They didn't like me because I had a beard at the time, and I found a clause in the uniform manual that said I could keep it and still wear the flight suit. P**** them off.

The T-34 had weak jugs--it was underpowered (185 horse) to begin with, and we flew search missions in the San Gabriel Mountains with it, which could be hairy. It eventually blew a cylinder and the Air Force didn't want to pay to fix it, so they sold it off the line in Bakersfield for 15 grand, as is, where is. I wish I could have bought it--although I think all the T-34s are grounded indefiniately right now after a series of wing spar failures by guys using them to fly civilian ACM.

Cheers,