PDA

View Full Version : New Pilot

traffield
02-23-2011, 03:44 AM
Hello everyone, rookie reporting! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

I am signing in as a 'new pilot' as I haven't flown since the days of European Air War and B17 Flying Fortress: The Mighty Eigth. I have been blown away by the COD screens and videos and can't wait to get my hands on it. However, before I strap into my Spitfire at Kenley I felt I better get back into the swing of flying.

I have got hold of Il2 1946 (updated to the max) and also a Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X joystick. The stick works really well for the most part making my experience of manic WWII combat as fun (and realistic) as possible. It is taking me a while to get used to the feel and handling of the aircraft and to tweak the mad number of settings and controls to my stick. One issue I have come across is with the throttle on the Hotas X. All controls seem to work fine apart from throttle. In windows settings the throttle forward and back is recognised but in-game for some reason, throttling forward and back has zero effect. I end up having to use keyboard commands for the throttle. Any ideas on how this can be fixed?

Thanks in advance for any ideas, and also any advice you can part with for a novice and very green flyer. Hopefully by the time COD rolls out I will at least have some hope of making it home in once piece and maybe with a kill or two as well!

Cheers everyone http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

traffield
02-23-2011, 03:44 AM
Hello everyone, rookie reporting! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

I am signing in as a 'new pilot' as I haven't flown since the days of European Air War and B17 Flying Fortress: The Mighty Eigth. I have been blown away by the COD screens and videos and can't wait to get my hands on it. However, before I strap into my Spitfire at Kenley I felt I better get back into the swing of flying.

I have got hold of Il2 1946 (updated to the max) and also a Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X joystick. The stick works really well for the most part making my experience of manic WWII combat as fun (and realistic) as possible. It is taking me a while to get used to the feel and handling of the aircraft and to tweak the mad number of settings and controls to my stick. One issue I have come across is with the throttle on the Hotas X. All controls seem to work fine apart from throttle. In windows settings the throttle forward and back is recognised but in-game for some reason, throttling forward and back has zero effect. I end up having to use keyboard commands for the throttle. Any ideas on how this can be fixed?

Thanks in advance for any ideas, and also any advice you can part with for a novice and very green flyer. Hopefully by the time COD rolls out I will at least have some hope of making it home in once piece and maybe with a kill or two as well!

Cheers everyone http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Erkki_M
02-23-2011, 03:48 AM
Go controllers settings, scroll down to "HOTAS" section. Click the throttle and move the throttle to set it. Depending on the direction it moves it has a - in front of it... Test in game - if the direction is negative go set it again. Should work.

traffield
02-23-2011, 03:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Erkki_M:
Go controllers settings, scroll down to "HOTAS" section. Click the throttle and move the throttle to set it. Depending on the direction it moves it has a - in front of it... Test in game - if the direction is negative go set it again. Should work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Erkki. Will give it a go shortly. Very quick response! I assume you will be getting hold of COD? I must admit that I find 1946 quite over powering (I have been out of flight sims for years and years) but I expect that COD will simply blow me away in terms of graphics, sound and experience. It will make me want to get flight time and get better. 1946 is my traning camp until it arrives.

Erkki_M
02-23-2011, 04:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by traffield:
Thanks Erkki. Will give it a go shortly. Very quick response! I assume you will be getting hold of COD? I must admit that I find 1946 quite over powering (I have been out of flight sims for years and years) but I expect that COD will simply blow me away in terms of graphics, sound and experience. It will make me want to get flight time and get better. 1946 is my traning camp until it arrives. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Preordered collector's edition already. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

traffield
02-23-2011, 04:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Erkki_M:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by traffield:
Thanks Erkki. Will give it a go shortly. Very quick response! I assume you will be getting hold of COD? I must admit that I find 1946 quite over powering (I have been out of flight sims for years and years) but I expect that COD will simply blow me away in terms of graphics, sound and experience. It will make me want to get flight time and get better. 1946 is my traning camp until it arrives. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Preordered collector's edition already. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That through Ubi? How much was it? I am holding fire for the minute as I have just spent out on this joystick. I assume it will be available through standard channels (Amazon etc) but I am keen have it ready and waiting on release day, whenever that is now. Be nice to see an official review of the game too, not that it will change my opinion. It is definately on my 'must have' list!

Erkki_M
02-23-2011, 04:14 AM
That through Ubi? How much was it? I am holding fire for the minute as I have just spent out on this joystick. I assume it will be available through standard channels (Amazon etc) but I am keen have it ready and waiting on release day, whenever that is now. Be nice to see an official review of the game too, not that it will change my opinion. It is definately on my 'must have' list! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

70 at a local. Expensive-ish... But dont buy computer stuff that often, and it'll most likely last as long as il2 has now, since 2002.

M_Gunz
02-23-2011, 05:14 AM
Go controllers settings, scroll down to "HOTAS" section. Click the throttle and move the throttle to set it. Depending on the direction it moves it has a - in front of it... Test in game - if the direction is negative go set it again. Should work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definitely spend time setting up your keys/buttons/axes/hats/slider/rotaries in that CONTROLS section. You can clear about half the default keys and map them to things otherwise needing two keys to use. You'll see! You can access that from offline play by hitting Escape and choosing CONTROLS on the menu for changing or just checking what keys you did set up.

Also from the Main screen go and set up your Inputs. That's where you adjust stick sensitivity, filter (kills spikes and also smooths out the digitized steps, kind of anti-aliasing for your stick), and are able to check the results.

There are some really good 3rd party stick profile set up utilities out as well, Fool_Trottle made probably the #1.

You ran EAW back in the day huh? So did I for a couple years. The stalls and spins in IL2 might seem a bit tame after that, LOL!

Erkki_M
02-23-2011, 05:17 AM
I wouldnt advice anyone to use filtering or dead band unless theres something in the HAL or potentiometers of the controllers requiring that... I think 100ms filter is the minimum(after 0) in il2. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Bearcat99
02-23-2011, 06:17 AM
Welcome aboard!!

It's great to see new folks still coming to this sim. Hit the Nugget's Guide link in my sig.. also consider some of the other links as well... JO - Joint Ops is a virtual flght school... pretty well done if I must say so myself..

M_Gunz
02-23-2011, 07:57 AM
I wouldnt advice anyone to use filtering or dead band unless theres something in the HAL or potentiometers of the controllers requiring that... I think 100ms filter is the minimum(after 0) in il2. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got it cranked up to 40% and there is no 4/10's second delay in the check box! But then I did check and it does help. Give it a try some time and see how you fly. It might be worth a laugh.

I don't use any dead zone except near the end of my time with the Logitech stick when it really needed it.\

Erkki_M
02-23-2011, 08:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:
I wouldnt advice anyone to use filtering or dead band unless theres something in the HAL or potentiometers of the controllers requiring that... I think 100ms filter is the minimum(after 0) in il2. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got it cranked up to 40% and there is no 4/10's second delay in the check box! But then I did check and it does help. Give it a try some time and see how you fly. It might be worth a laugh.

I don't use any dead zone except near the end of my time with the Logitech stick when it really needed it.\ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, my now long dead Logitech needed dead zone too. Flying straight without was impossible.

Looks like I need to check again how the filter works, 10s of milliseconds then? My current controllers are accurate enough to not need any though.

Traffield, another thing worth knowing are the stick sensitivity curves in game. The values you give are actually % of a straight line. So all-100 equals x=y and the default 2-5-8 or so is exponentially rising. Also top left corner of the screen has a drop-down menu for different axis... I had missed it for the first 6 months. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

traffield
02-23-2011, 08:49 AM
Thanks for all the responses! I will have a look through them this afternoon as I have a few hours spare!

I realise the learning curve might be quite tricky for me but I really want to be up to some sort of average standard in time for the big COD release.

On an EAW note M_Gunz - I loved that game. Everything about it was great. Attacking huge formations of B17s was a personal favourite hobby. Then tracking the crippled bomber to ground and watching the crew run off, priceless. In fact I still have it installed on this machine and fancy a go... but I must go with the times. 1946 from now on!!

M_Gunz
02-23-2011, 10:33 AM
I worte a hit bubble and armor tweaker for EAW in the summer of 99. It let players shrink the hit bubbles and up the armor evenly for every part of every plane. Making the bubbles 75% as wide cut way down on the golden BBs while still letting the AI get kills. That was about the time that Charles Gunst was starting Enemy Coast Ahead.
EAW had its strengths and considering how little PC it can run large numbers of planes on, well that's maybe the biggest. besides, you're supposed to avoid stall and spin! I did like the view system though Rowan's MiG Alley Ace was a step better.

Bearcat99
02-23-2011, 03:17 PM
One good thing about 4.10 is that you can now set up different stick profiles... This is good for different aircraft.. For instance you can set one profile with a slightly less responsive elevator at the lower end and use that for the Mustang since it's elevator authority is a tad stronger than some of the other birds..

PhantomKira
02-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Since it's been a while for you being in a fighter, here's a link to a great PDF on tactics. It's geared toward online flight, but many of the maneuvers are perfectly viable against AI.

In Pursuit (http://web.comhem.se/%7Eu85627360/inpursuit.pdf)

Welcome aboard. Good to see this sim's STILL getting new blood!