PDA

View Full Version : Scramble Dogfight!

Ageless_Oldman
01-04-2006, 12:14 PM
You just got a warning of incoming Japanese KI-27's, and your on the deck of a carrier in a F2A Buffalo. They are a few minutes away. What's the best approach? speed or altitude?

Next question: A KI-27 just buzzed past you and you need to turn to meet him. Do you try to invert and dive at this point, or is there a better way?

Ageless_Oldman
01-04-2006, 12:14 PM
You just got a warning of incoming Japanese KI-27's, and your on the deck of a carrier in a F2A Buffalo. They are a few minutes away. What's the best approach? speed or altitude?

Next question: A KI-27 just buzzed past you and you need to turn to meet him. Do you try to invert and dive at this point, or is there a better way?

Tully__
01-04-2006, 03:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ageless_Oldman:
You just got a warning of incoming Japanese KI-27's, and your on the deck of a carrier in a F2A Buffalo. They are a few minutes away. What's the best approach? speed or altitude? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Depends on how much warning... 5 minutes or 25 minutes. The former, get speed and get formed up with your buddies real quick, you need the teamwork coz you wont have any other advantages. If the latter you'll want to try to get height so you can use the dive advantage offered by the US aircraft.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Next question: A KI-27 just buzzed past you and you need to turn to meet him. Do you try to invert and dive at this point, or is there a better way? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Climbing turn, height again. Or maybe the circumstances are such that you don't want to engage at all, put the nose down a tad, firewall the throttle and just keep going.

han freak solo
01-04-2006, 03:39 PM
I would go back below deck to the pilot's lounge. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

VW-IceFire
01-04-2006, 04:21 PM
I have to agree with Tully. Those are the right moves to make.

If you get a headon pass with a Ki-27 at the same altitude you'll want to hope that you've got more speed than him to start and make you turn a gentle climbing turn. You'll want to translate your speed and inertia of the heavier aircraft against his light manueverable aircraft by gaining altitude. Once the altitude is gained, reversing on him and diving in to attack.

slo123
01-04-2006, 06:00 PM
im with han freak solo just run for it u didnt see anything heh heh

Arm_slinger
01-04-2006, 06:18 PM
If they come near a carrier force, i'd let the gunners do the job http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Stackhouse25th
01-04-2006, 07:19 PM
I would convince them over the radio that we will overfly their airfield and drop a crate of Whiskey if they return to base.