PDA

View Full Version : Zero



Jamido
11-01-2004, 10:32 AM
Question about Zero, is it really so fragile or is this a bug? I was hit about one bullet to the wing, it broke off and down i went http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif Opponent was Wildcat.

LC34
11-01-2004, 10:37 AM
Im no Zero expert, but from what I have read on these forums where some very smart people have posted is that yes they are very fragile as they had no armor plating and very thin bodies.

This lack of armor though is what made them as agile as they are. As someone posted in another thread they were ment to be offensive weapons so keep the enemy in front and not behind lol.

Welcome to the boards by the way. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

VW-IceFire
11-01-2004, 10:56 AM
The big difference between American and Japanese aircraft in this period was that the Americans built them with alot of extra weight for armor and heavier construction. This gave aircraft like the P-40 and the Wildcat a bit of an advantage VS their respective Japanese opponents when it came to taking damage.

The Zero, instead of armor plating, self sealing fuel tanks, and heavier construction...had a very light weight construction. The whole reason it has similar horsepower to the Wildcat and yet can run rings around it is because of this.

Later versions of the Zero had more protection...but you're never going to compair it to a P-47 or a FW190 when it comes to sturdyness. If you're in a Zero...try never to get hit http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Kapt.Amisnaru
11-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Is it true that the zeros engine shuts off from too much negative g force? It didn't use to do that in il2fb+aep or cfs2 or any other flight sim.

AWL_amisnaru

Jamido
11-01-2004, 11:16 AM
Yes, it chokes. Many WWI planes had same kind of engine, When you hit some negative g the engine does not get the fuel and shuts down. (If i remember right)

Kapt.Amisnaru
11-01-2004, 01:06 PM
Yes I know this, as I'm a pilot myself. But in 2.04 the zero didn't do this. And it does not do that in cfs2 or warbirds.. The planes that had this "problem" with engines usually had another fuel bump for aerobatic flights to make negative moves. Like Gloster Gauntlet (my teacher has flown this plane).

AWL_amisnaru

fordfan25
11-01-2004, 01:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jamido:
Yes, it chokes. Many WWI planes had same kind of engine, When you hit some negative g the engine does not get the fuel and shuts down. (If i remember right) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats becouse thay were useing carbs instead of injection

fordfan25
11-01-2004, 01:30 PM
were thay not made of wood also.if then that would be one resone thay were not to sturdy under fire. wood will splinter and brake apart when hit from large cal. rounds. would also catch fire much easyer

berg417448
11-01-2004, 01:39 PM
not wood:

"The Zero was a low-wing design, constructed of a lightweight aluminum alloy named "Extra-Super Duraluminum (ESD)", with the exception of fabric-covered rudder and elevators. The aircraft's lightweight construction helped it achieve the performance goals specified by the IJN. However, the severe limits on weight ensured that the new fighter also lacked armor and self-sealing fuel tanks. "

diabloblanco1
11-01-2004, 11:22 PM
Extra-Super Duraluminum (ESD)and the lack of self sealing tanks made the zero a flying butane lighter with no off button. Still an outstanding plane in the correct hands http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

RACFrankenstein
11-02-2004, 01:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fordfan25:
were thay not made of wood also.if then that would be one resone thay were not to sturdy under fire. wood will splinter and brake apart when hit from large cal. rounds. would also catch fire much easyer <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't tell that to the guys who flew Hurricanes during the Battle of Britain. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Mozzie_21
11-02-2004, 02:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:

The Zero, instead of armor plating, self sealing fuel tanks, and heavier construction...had a very light weight construction. The whole reason it has similar horsepower to the Wildcat and yet can run rings around it is because of this. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Early versions of the zero had a lower maximum takeoff weight than the empty weight of a wildcat with only slightly less power and wing area, so they were much more suited to turning dogfights.

And I recall something about the Mosquito being quite strong because wood is naturally resistant to fatigue. Not that the zero had much wood in it.

ELEM
11-02-2004, 02:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RACFrankenstein:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fordfan25:
were thay not made of wood also.if then that would be one resone thay were not to sturdy under fire. wood will splinter and brake apart when hit from large cal. rounds. would also catch fire much easyer <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't tell that to the guys who flew Hurricanes during the Battle of Britain. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why? Hurricanes are not wood structures. They had welded steel tube fuselages and duralumin wing structure all fabric covered. There seems to be a lot of misconceptions here. Wooden airframe structures are actually tougher than aluminium, as wood does not suffer from fatigue as metal does, and is therefore far more damage tolerant.

WUAF_Badsight
11-02-2004, 02:37 AM
Wooden A/C can handel MG fire better than Metal can

not all A6M2-21 Zeros had the carburettor that couldnt handel -G

Athosd
11-02-2004, 03:38 AM
Don't forget that the one round of tracer you see entering the wing could actually be accompanied by 5 or 6 API rounds.

IIRC MG tracer in the IL2 series is normally spaced 1 in 5 - so any visible tracer may have 4 non tracer rounds whizzing ahead and 4 following.

Cheers

Athos