PDA

View Full Version : I need reassurance that I'm not a total geek for doing this...

squadldr76
07-04-2006, 06:04 PM
Ok, I need to ask this because I want to be assured that I'm not the only one out there who does this.

How many of you, after spending all day at an airshow, go home with a strong desire to want to hop on the sim, load up an empty airfield and "perform" fly-bys?

Please tell me that I'm not a complete nerd for doing this from time to time. I think part of that problem is having been buzzed THREE times by a P-51 at full throttle not more than 200 ft above the ground. I will admit, however, that it does give one nice practice for precision flying. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

squadldr76
07-04-2006, 06:04 PM
Ok, I need to ask this because I want to be assured that I'm not the only one out there who does this.

How many of you, after spending all day at an airshow, go home with a strong desire to want to hop on the sim, load up an empty airfield and "perform" fly-bys?

Please tell me that I'm not a complete nerd for doing this from time to time. I think part of that problem is having been buzzed THREE times by a P-51 at full throttle not more than 200 ft above the ground. I will admit, however, that it does give one nice practice for precision flying. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Dean3238
07-04-2006, 06:25 PM
Nerd? No... but if you don't do it inverted and try to touch pavement with your canopy, you're a wuss http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Dean

dbillo
07-04-2006, 08:52 PM
No, you're not the only one, but yes, you're a total geek!

I think I enjoy watching the tracks of the missions my friend and I fly just as much as flying them. When I build missions, I put static cams at the runway threshold back at home base so I can watch everybody landing as if I were standing next to the tarmac.

Not exactly airshow, but totally cool to watch!

VW-IceFire
07-04-2006, 09:30 PM
I've done that too...so far as to setup a static camera at a base in one of my campaigns and fly past for a while.

Its good practice...you learn how your plane looks from the ground and compare it to the flying done by real pilots. I found it wasn't smooth enough...soon as I did that I became much more co-ordinated.

squadldr76
07-05-2006, 07:58 AM
That's a good idea, Ice. Are the static cams under objects or something?

AVG_WarHawk
07-05-2006, 12:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by squadldr76:
That's a good idea, Ice. Are the static cams under objects or something? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They're under "static cameras"

hi_stik
07-07-2006, 09:49 AM
Man, that's really nerdy...

NERDS!!!!

Texas LongHorn
07-07-2006, 11:48 AM
The Mustang is a beatuiful ship, but until you've been buzzed by a Mig 29 or 31 at Mach 2, You've never been buzzed. I remember another one where the F-14 decided he had to do a top gun number on the Carrier. Luckily for him the skipper thought it was pretty cool too, so no charges were filed. All the best, LongHorn

Dr...Watson
07-07-2006, 12:45 PM
I do the same sometimes, even fly online with my Dad doing an airshow then watch the track later.

Forget all those F14 carrier flybys etc, the Raf harrier boys are always the lowest

Check it HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAePIjvNPdI&search=harrier%20low) Full screen viewing is a must

Some harsh language but the comments are pretty much required to get the full effect!

M2morris
07-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Heck ya I do that alot and I don't care how geeky it is. I like to put the time at sunset and turn on the wing tip smoke and do stunts and fly-bys and touch n goes and then watch the track, and yes the mustang is a nice plane for that.

VVaFFenPanZZeR
07-07-2006, 08:39 PM
I do it to with my sound sorround volume maxed.

ROTC4612
07-09-2006, 02:20 AM
Thats not geeky at all. I'll tell you what is geeky (people ahve told me so) Sometime when I play Lo-Mac or Falcon 4.0 I put on my flight helmet, oxygen mask, and flight gloves. It may seem geeky but I swear it adds an element of realism that really adds to gameplay!

Fighterduck
07-09-2006, 07:10 AM
not only when i watch air shows ...fly by are great to watch...but not in il2..the sound of fly by is simply horrible. I hope it will be better in BoB.