PDA

View Full Version : To taiterbud Question about What would you do?

REDHAWK_1
02-07-2005, 08:47 PM
taiterbud:
You posed a very interesting question! I will try to answer your question in the best way as I can.
I am a VietNam Veteran, I served two Combat Tour of Duties in Nam and have fought in some of the bloodiest battles in the I Corp area. I feel that I am somewhat qualified to answer your question.
There is a saying which I believe is True now as back then. The first casualty of war is innocent.No man who ever fought in a war or been in a war has ever come out of it as the same person as when he first went in. War has a way of changing a mans out look on life and you will never be the same person ever again.
1st of all I know that this is just a game to many,especially to the younger people. No matter what Air Combat Flight Sim or war game you play, it still represents one of the most Bloodiest Battles ever fought in Mankinds History, The Air War Over Europe, where over 400,000 men lost thier lives defending in what they belived in. Also remember the men who lost thier lives in the Air in the Mediterranean and Pacific Theater Air War.
I know that a lot of people out there will disagree with me on this, but this is MOPO (My Own Personal Opinion and Experence of War).
In War you are train to do one thing and that is to kill the enemy in any way and by an means. When in hand to hand combat you show no mercy to the enemy, for if you do you are dead.
In Air Combat it is the same, if you hesitate for a split second you are dead.
I agree that Chivalry was common among Air Men in the 1st World War and in the begaining of the Second World War. As times change and the Battles begain to get hotter and heavier chivalry was put at the end of the list.Still some pilots from all sides still held a little bit of Chivalry inside of them. But that was far and in between. Is it ethical or morally right to strafe a down pilot. That mine friend is a question that has bother many a pilot in WW2.
My answer is yes I would, the reason behind it is this,
1) Your job rather it be as a footsoldier,seaman,or pilot is to destroy the enemy where ever and how ever and by any means.
True there is no Honor in it, but Honor is the last thing you worry about when the enemy is trying to kill you.
2)This enemy pilot may have strafe an innocent
column of refugee's on a road, he may be shooting down Bombers or strafing an Allied Convey.
3) You will do it because it is your job, you do it because you know that this pilot may be in the air in a day or two shooting a Bomber down or killing one of your friends.
You do it because you know if you do you will be saving lives, you may have saved a Bomber crew lives or a footsoldier life or stop him from strafing an Allied Convey or ship. I agree there is no Honor in it, but you do it because it is your job to stop him from killing more people. Just like is it right to vulch an air field. Yes it is, is it Honorable, no but every major country Air Force did it, because it is thier job to destroy enemy air planes either in the air or on the ground.
Yes it is a hard decision to make, but in war men have to make hard decision, even if they don't like it. I know from experence and I will say this, war is the most HORRIBLE thing to go through. I hope this gives you an answer, maybe to some it isn't right or Honorable, but in a real total warfare, there is no such thing as a clean war. It is dirty, horrible and full of destruction and filled with death. Those of us who have went through it hope never to see it again. Thank You all for your time. I hope I didn't bore or cause any trouble by this posting. My intention was to show that war is a dirty and horrible thing and that these men had to make some hard decision, and that no matter what war has no real Honor in it. True some men showed great Honor and Chivalry, but in the end
you still have to take life in order to save lives. REDHAWK_1
NOTE: If he was in a chute floating down to the ground I wouldn't shoot him, also I wouldn't follow him down and lose what altitude I had. But if I shot his plane bad enough where he crashed landed then, depending on the situation and everything was clear then I would. Not being hard core about it, but in order to save lives that this pilot might take later on.
Thank God it is only a Flight Sim and not for real.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: REDHAWK_1, Mon February 07 2005 13:47

REDHAWK_1
02-07-2005, 08:47 PM
taiterbud:
You posed a very interesting question! I will try to answer your question in the best way as I can.
I am a VietNam Veteran, I served two Combat Tour of Duties in Nam and have fought in some of the bloodiest battles in the I Corp area. I feel that I am somewhat qualified to answer your question.
There is a saying which I believe is True now as back then. The first casualty of war is innocent.No man who ever fought in a war or been in a war has ever come out of it as the same person as when he first went in. War has a way of changing a mans out look on life and you will never be the same person ever again.
1st of all I know that this is just a game to many,especially to the younger people. No matter what Air Combat Flight Sim or war game you play, it still represents one of the most Bloodiest Battles ever fought in Mankinds History, The Air War Over Europe, where over 400,000 men lost thier lives defending in what they belived in. Also remember the men who lost thier lives in the Air in the Mediterranean and Pacific Theater Air War.
I know that a lot of people out there will disagree with me on this, but this is MOPO (My Own Personal Opinion and Experence of War).
In War you are train to do one thing and that is to kill the enemy in any way and by an means. When in hand to hand combat you show no mercy to the enemy, for if you do you are dead.
In Air Combat it is the same, if you hesitate for a split second you are dead.
I agree that Chivalry was common among Air Men in the 1st World War and in the begaining of the Second World War. As times change and the Battles begain to get hotter and heavier chivalry was put at the end of the list.Still some pilots from all sides still held a little bit of Chivalry inside of them. But that was far and in between. Is it ethical or morally right to strafe a down pilot. That mine friend is a question that has bother many a pilot in WW2.
My answer is yes I would, the reason behind it is this,
1) Your job rather it be as a footsoldier,seaman,or pilot is to destroy the enemy where ever and how ever and by any means.
True there is no Honor in it, but Honor is the last thing you worry about when the enemy is trying to kill you.
2)This enemy pilot may have strafe an innocent
column of refugee's on a road, he may be shooting down Bombers or strafing an Allied Convey.
3) You will do it because it is your job, you do it because you know that this pilot may be in the air in a day or two shooting a Bomber down or killing one of your friends.
You do it because you know if you do you will be saving lives, you may have saved a Bomber crew lives or a footsoldier life or stop him from strafing an Allied Convey or ship. I agree there is no Honor in it, but you do it because it is your job to stop him from killing more people. Just like is it right to vulch an air field. Yes it is, is it Honorable, no but every major country Air Force did it, because it is thier job to destroy enemy air planes either in the air or on the ground.
Yes it is a hard decision to make, but in war men have to make hard decision, even if they don't like it. I know from experence and I will say this, war is the most HORRIBLE thing to go through. I hope this gives you an answer, maybe to some it isn't right or Honorable, but in a real total warfare, there is no such thing as a clean war. It is dirty, horrible and full of destruction and filled with death. Those of us who have went through it hope never to see it again. Thank You all for your time. I hope I didn't bore or cause any trouble by this posting. My intention was to show that war is a dirty and horrible thing and that these men had to make some hard decision, and that no matter what war has no real Honor in it. True some men showed great Honor and Chivalry, but in the end
you still have to take life in order to save lives. REDHAWK_1
NOTE: If he was in a chute floating down to the ground I wouldn't shoot him, also I wouldn't follow him down and lose what altitude I had. But if I shot his plane bad enough where he crashed landed then, depending on the situation and everything was clear then I would. Not being hard core about it, but in order to save lives that this pilot might take later on.
Thank God it is only a Flight Sim and not for real.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: REDHAWK_1, Mon February 07 2005 13:47

Maple_Tiger
02-07-2005, 09:30 PM
Some very good points. I guess it would be hard,indeed, to say what one would do in an all out war.

I hope that we ,has a human race, will learn from our mistakes before we kill our selfs.