PDA

View Full Version : OT: WWII Carriers

Brakovitch
11-06-2004, 05:09 PM
I was wondering if anyone has that WWII Carriers MSFS2004 add on from Abacus and if so how the landings compare with our PF? Some comparitive screenshots would be great to see too. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Brakovitch
11-06-2004, 05:09 PM
I was wondering if anyone has that WWII Carriers MSFS2004 add on from Abacus and if so how the landings compare with our PF? Some comparitive screenshots would be great to see too. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Chuck_Older
11-06-2004, 05:38 PM
You know, I almost bought that. My MS FS2004 is feeling neglected

But I was burned by Abacus a few times with sub-par work on their part. I recommend caution

Fliger747
11-06-2004, 06:35 PM
For FS9 there is currently a terrific F4U-7/AU1 available, done by Guy Hulin and some other French cronies (freeware). Virtual Navy has a creditable TF 16 (Doolitle Raid TF) which one can also do traps on using the "carrier guages". The F4U-7 flies much like the F4U series here (well). If you have FS9, it's really worth doing as you can vary weather, time of day and wind over the deck. Practice those NIGHT landings!

My two serious beefs with PF so far and carrier ops revolve around the puny 10 knot (steaming downwind in the 'trades'?) wind over the deck (25-30 is more realistic) and the excessive (4x) runout of the arrestor cables.

The FS9 'guages' bring you up way too short, PF is way too long and VN CFS2 ships such as Enterprise or Saratoga, about right.

I got threatened with a ban a couple of weeks ago because of a screenie from FS9 I posted of the AU-1 was though to be from a pirate copy of the as yet unreleased PF.

If the wind over the deck can be fixed, along with the cable runout, I will be quite happy.

ThePlainsman
11-06-2004, 10:08 PM
A better add-on for MS CFS3 and FS2K4 can be had from a company called Shockwave Productions. They did the superlative "Firepower" add-on for CFS3. They recently released "Wings of Power: WWII Heavy Bombers and Jets" for FS2K4. It is outstanding.

Tdavart
11-06-2004, 10:43 PM
I have yet to see anything in FS9 that compares with the dynamics of PF. From the rolling ship, the beautiful water, the aircraft behavior when landing and, yes, crash effects...Pacific Fighters is amazing. And I am (was?) a FS2004 enthusiast.